OT - new hotel in storrs center | The Boneyard

OT - new hotel in storrs center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That drawing was dated 2014. They tried to put in a bare bones hotel last year that Nathan Hale helped to defeat along with the Storrs hystericals. It was going to be perpendicular t Rt 195 across from EO Smith. Never saw this plan presented in public yet but it would be a good spot for one.

Reaction Score
Since charter is marketing the space for the developers, and this is clearly a recent update to the pamphlet ( I check this weekly, and the hotel/hockey development were not there the last time I looked), I am going to jump to the conclusion that UCONN or leyland is looking to develop the parcel (phase d) as a hotel now.

I remember reading that leyland bought property adjacent to Storrs center with plans to develop as additional housing down the road. Wonder if the proposed hotel is that property.

Reaction Score
Would it be possible for state to kick out E.O. Smith via eminent domain? We need the space.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UCONN13KC said:
Would it be possible for state to kick out E.O. Smith via eminent domain? We need the space.

It's fairly routine for colleges to buy municipal buildings. Just need to pay enough for them to build new. The towns usually jump at the chance to unload an underused building or trade old for new.

Reaction Score

Unlikely, would be very unpopular locally and it would have to be state and or university funded as it would be too costly for Mansfield & co. to afford to do so. I have a friend in Freeport Maine and LL Bean now basically surrounds Freeport HS. The town would love LLC Bean to but it & then build the town a new HS; but, even LL bean can't afford that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
Unlikely, would be very unpopular locally and it would have to be state and or university funded as it would be too costly for Mansfield & co. to afford to do so. I have a friend in Freeport Maine and LL Bean now basically surrounds Freeport HS. The town would love LLC Bean to but it & then build the town a new HS; but, even LL bean can't afford that.

In the event any Mansfield NIMBYS frequent this board. Your solution is to define a university boundary negotiated with UConn. Land swap as needed, land trust as needed and let them do whatever they want within the boundaries, knowing that outside the answer is no. Add a transition zone along 195 and 44 is your interested is having a tax base. It's not difficult.

Reaction Score
The people's republic of Mansfield (as they are known at the capitol) won't cede an inch to UConn. The collective contempt they have for their essential reason for existence is staggering.

Reminds me of Boston. For years, they complained that college students (BU, BC, Northeastern, Suffolk, Emerson, etc.) took-up all of the apartments and drove-up rates on everyone else. Then, when all of the universities began building dorms and brought a lot of students back on campus, the same folks complained that landlords were being hurt because no one in their right mind would rent the dumps that college kids would.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The people's republic of Mansfield (as they are known at the capitol) won't cede an inch to UConn. The collective contempt they have for their essential reason for existence is staggering.

The town's Tea Partiers would be happier living in cabins in the middle of the woods. Anything resembling development, whether it be university or business-related, sets them off.

Reaction Score
The town's Tea Partiers would be happier living in cabins in the middle of the woods. Anything resembling development, whether it be university or business-related, sets them off.
The latter reference is on target regarding Mansfield's NIMBY crowd, yet isn't it the 9 decades old Edith Prague and her ilk who impaired UCONN's academic growth and initiatives for overall success for most of her decades, e.g., Pfizer/Ag school lost investment/academic growth/AAU-potential enhancing opportunity? Absent Jim Calhoun and resulting success, they'd likely still hold sway in Storrs. Thank you JC!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The latter reference is on target regarding Mansfield's NIMBY crowd, yet isn't it the 9 decades old Edith Prague and her ilk who impaired UCONN's academic growth and initiatives for overall success for most of her decades, e.g., Pfizer/Ag school lost investment/academic growth/AAU-potential enhancing opportunity? Absent Jim Calhoun and resulting success, they'd likely still hold sway in Storrs. Thank you JC!

For comedy:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n..._UgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=snIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1252,1767082

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Reaction Score

I graduated from UConn in 2012 and now work for pfizer down in groton. You have no idea how much this pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom