OT: never let a family member play with your Mac - aidez-moi, s'il vous plait? | The Boneyard

OT: never let a family member play with your Mac - aidez-moi, s'il vous plait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So, family member played with my Mac and now Safari keeps on getting hijacked by "maccleaner" etc.

And there are "links" being inserted under certain words....

Also, google searches look weird. LOTS of links for ads. (They signed me up for Youtube so I could post a video) For instance, if I google Maya Moore, this is what I get:

Maya Moore Poster
Adtwenga.com
Title: WNBA Minnesota Lynx - Maya Moore Photo; Product Type: Photo
Computer Tech Support
Adwww.onlinediagnosisnow.com/FREE
Get 30 Mins of FREE Diagnosis Call USA Toll Free +1-800-265-0643
Computer Tech Support
Adwww.mytechforpc.com/FREE
Get 30 Mins of FREE Diagnosis Call USA Toll Free +1-800-291-1241
Search Results

1. Computer Tech Support
    www.mytechforpc.com/FREE
    Get 30 Mins of FREE Diagnosis Call USA Toll Free +1-800-274-1983
    Computer Tech Support
    www.onlinediagnosisnow.com/FREE
    Get 30 Mins of FREE Diagnosis Call USA Toll Free +1-800-453-4304

Any suggestions?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
That's my default plan... but this week is pretty stupid....

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My sympathies.

I don't have any issues like that, but I must say that I'm appalled by the direct targeted nature of ads in general. Right now my version of the BY includes an ad for a restaurant that I've eaten at and I can't quite be sure if that is random or because I once made a reservation there from the laptop.

Good luck getting your problem fixed.

Reaction Score
That's my default plan... but this week is pretty stupid....
I'm a relatively new Mac user (1 year), and haven't had problems like that, so no help, sorry. The techie in our family hates Steve Jobs dead or alive, and would just say, "That's what you get." I assume you've tried rebooting, clearing history, maybe return to default settings regarding Safari?

Suggestion- use Google Chrome as your browser for the time being, until you get Safari fixed. I use Chrome all the time on my Mac instead of Safari because a couple Web-oriented software packages I was using didn't support Safari. I still use Safari on my iPad & phone - really not much different. Anyway, I wouldn't think it would have the same issues, and it should get you by.

Reaction Score
My sympathies.

I don't have any issues like that, but I must say that I'm appalled by the direct targeted nature of ads in general. Right now my version of the BY includes an ad for a restaurant that I've eaten at and I can't quite be sure if that is random or because I once made a reservation there from the laptop.

It's not random. Maybe you visited their website, google mapped them? Targeting is very sophisticated nowadays

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Someone clicked a bad link, and the end result is that your internet may have been hijacked. Your computer needs some attention to clear out the files that are causing this.

This happened to me when I let someone use my computer some years ago. They haven't used it since.
Dell support was great. it took time, but eventually they were able to clear out all of the bad stuff that got downloaded and caused the problem

Reaction Score
So, family member played with my Mac and now Safari keeps on getting hijacked by "maccleaner" etc.

Also, google searches look weird. LOTS of links for ads. (They signed me up for Youtube so I could post a video) For instance, if I google Maya Moore, this is what I get:

Maya Moore Poster
Adtwenga.com
Computer Tech Support
Computer Tech Support
Search Results

1. Computer Tech Support
    www.mytechforpc.com/FREE
    Computer Tech Support

Any suggestions?

Haven't seen this particular one, but it's clearly some sort of adware. If you don't have Sophos for Mac installed I would try downloading that and running a scan. Their free tools are pretty good at picking up all sorts of viruses, malware and adware.

Reaction Score
My sympathies.

Chances are about 90% that you googled for the restaurant at one time...it's definitely not random.

Reaction Score
My sympathies.

Should've added that there's actually a new search engine out 'duckduckgo.com' that was launched as a response to google's total lack of privacy. They claim that searching with their engine is completely anonymous...they don't track your IP address, or store personal information like search history.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Any suggestions?

First imperative suggestion: be sure you never click on any links in the suspicious Safari search results. If you feel you must use one, type the URL into the address bar of your browser yourself (not copy & paste).

Second suggestion: go with j66's suggestion and use Chrome until you get things cleaned up. Though it is possible any browser you use may show the same problems if the attacking malware is sophisticated enough.

Third strong suggestion: Install an anti-virus package and run an on-demand scan. I like Avast! (Download it here.) If you're not the kind of person to run a scan every so often, I'd go with Avira, Sophos or Comodo, which all have scheduled system scans. Clicking on the program names here (do you trust me? ;^) will take you to the download page for each product.

Fourth suggestion: Uninstall maccleaner, you don't need it. It's just an adware carrier. I don't know if it's causing all your current woes, but it's undoubtedly causing some of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AAAAAhhhh, JustIn! Now my Boneyard page is showing an ad for CleanMyMac!!! Maybe your other user hijacked it! :D

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
First imperative suggestion: be sure you never click on any links in the suspicious Safari search results. If you feel you must use one, type the URL into the address bar of your browser yourself (not copy & paste).

Second suggestion: go with j66's suggestion and use Chrome until you get things cleaned up. Though it is possible any browser you use may show the same problems if the attacking malware is sophisticated enough.

Third strong suggestion: Install an anti-virus package and run an on-demand scan. I like Avast! (Download it here.) If you're not the kind of person to run a scan every so often, I'd go with Avira, Sophos or Comodo, which all have scheduled system scans. Clicking on the program names here (do you trust me? ;^) will take you to the download page for each product.

Fourth suggestion: Uninstall maccleaner, you don't need it. It's just an adware carrier. I don't know if it's causing all your current woes, but it's undoubtedly causing some of them.

Hey I just had a blue screen episode last night, was able to restart in safe mode, couldn't find anything but some of the system icons were acting weird. Worked with Dell support today....

maybe it's in the air....:confused:

Reaction Score
Chances are about 90% that you googled for the restaurant at one time...it's definitely not random.
Not random at all. Many sites like the restaurant you visited utilize "Remarketing" or "retargeting" where they drop a cookie in your browser when you visit their site. The restaurant is then able to keep their ad in front of you on publisher sites like the Boneyard (and thousands of others) who share in a portion of this advertising revenue.
It can be a little disconcerting as the user but targeted ads are here to stay because advertisers love to be able to put their message in front of a relevant audience.

Reaction Score
this is a good anti-virus software as well AVG-2014CNET

I've read mixed reviews of AVG, but it's Windows only and I wouldn't use Windows if you paid me.:rolleyes: Apparently they do have a Mac version...I'm pretty happy with Sophos, but maybe I'll check it out someday.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Any suggestions?

Don't know where you may be in your effort to reclaim your browser, but I have a couple more things you can do:

1. Run the Adware Removal Tool from safeMac.com, which you will find on this page. Note that if you don't want to run the adware removal program, the site also provides instructions for manual removal.

2. Look at the browser extensions you have installed, and remove any you did not install personally. Here's the procedure:

Launch Safari and select Preferences from the Safari menu.
  • Select the Extensions tab and uninstall any Safari Extensions that you do not recognize or are uncertain if you need them.
    • By default Safari uses no Extensions. None are required for normal operation.
  • Select the Privacy tab and reset the selection for "Block cookies and other website data" > From third parties and advertisers
  • Select the General tab and reset your Homepage to your desired homepage if necessary.
  • Review all other Safari Preferences to determine if anything else may have been changed.
Safari should then be restored to normal.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
And now this post is showing an ad for Norton anti-virus software at the top.....the cloud is watching us...where is my tinfoil hat??? Oh right, it's not paranoid if it is true.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
"your searches" has been showing on the side and top... forever! its weird but it is what it is

Reaction Score
A few months ago I did a research project for a client where I viewed tons of specialty products on their manufacturers' websites. I still get ads for these products on practically every page I go to, including here. One visit would have probably been enough, but their machines know I visited their sites like 50 times and looked at certain products 50 times, etc. It will never end until I buy (and then it won't end).

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

Maya Moore Poster
Adtwenga.com
Computer Tech Support
Computer Tech Support
Search Results

1. Computer Tech Support
    www.mytechforpc.com/FREE
    Computer Tech Support

Any suggestions?

First, did you ask the family member(s) what they did that might have caused this? They obviously changed something. Since it's hard to tell exactly what caused the problem, I'll suggest a few things. First, go to Safari preferences (under the Safari menu in the upper left) and check your settings under Security and Privacy. I have all four choices checked under Security. Under Privacy I have "block cookies from third parties and advertisers" checked. Under Privacy there is also the option of deleting "cookies" which may be affecting Safari, but that's drastic if you have a lot of cookies. However, you can click on Details and search for any cookies that you suspect may be causing you problems.

When you say that Safari is hijacked by MacCleaner, I presume you mean by ads for that application. Hopefully the settings in Preferences I described above will fix that.

Also, check your settings in Google to see if anything is awry there.

Then, run Disk Utility. If you don't know what it is, you should find it in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder. It's an important tool that keeps Macs working smoothly. Open the application, click on the Macintosh HD on the left, and then run Repair Disk Permissions (it's a good idea to do this every time you install new software, especially system software, including updates from Software Update. You can do other things on your Mac while Disk Utility is running.

While you're at it, have you checked Software Update for new system or app updates? Always a good idea to have the latest. If you have a relatively new Mac, you should have OS X 10.9.4.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Don't know where you may be in your effort to reclaim your browser, but I have a couple more things you can do:

1. Run the Adware Removal Tool from safeMac.com, which you will find on this page. Note that if you don't want to run the adware removal program, the site also provides instructions for manual removal.

2. Look at the browser extensions you have installed, and remove any you did not install personally. Here's the procedure:

Launch Safari and select Preferences from the Safari menu.
  • Select the Extensions tab and uninstall any Safari Extensions that you do not recognize or are uncertain if you need them.
    • By default Safari uses no Extensions. None are required for normal operation.
  • Select the Privacy tab and reset the selection for "Block cookies and other website data" > From third parties and advertisers
  • Select the General tab and reset your Homepage to your desired homepage if necessary.
  • Review all other Safari Preferences to determine if anything else may have been changed.
Safari should then be restored to normal.

Ah, I see JRRRJ has already give you excellent advice which has helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom