OT - Music Genre | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Music Genre

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Granny rock (Yes, she is a grandmother, Her kids are among the backup singers)
That and this: Zepparella (Gretchen Mann is not a grandmother)

Reaction Score
I live in Austin, arguably the live music capital of the world, and have been lucky to see a ton of great bands. Headed to ACL festival next weekend. Here are some bands I've recently found and some groups from Austin that you might want to check out:
Beach House - Bloom
The Amazing - The Amazing
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream (amazing album)
White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade (Austin band with a bit of a Grateful Dead sound)
Heartless Bastards - Arrow (Austin band, good ole rock 'n roll, great female singer very unique voice)
Hacienda - Shakedown (San Antonio band, Dan Auerbach from Black Keys produced album)
Delta Spirit - Delta Spirit and Into the Wide (now based in Austin, originally from San Diego, great live band)
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit (from Australia and was hit of SXSW, very funny lyrics)
Bridges and Powerlines - Eve (saw them at SXSW about 3 years ago, from Brooklyn, great band)
Benjamin Booker - Benjamin Booker (exploded this year, going to see him at ACL)
Alvvays - Alvvays
Real Estate - Atlas (saw them at ACL two years ago)
Shakey Graves - And the War Came (from Austin, amazing newcomer, starting to build a big following)
Alabama Shakes - both albums (know they've been mentioned, but have seen them 3 times and they're great)
Spanish Gold - South of Nowhere (collaboration between ex-Hacienda singer/guitar, My Morning Jacket drummer and Groupo Fantasico guitar player, good stuff)
Brownout - Brownout Presents Black Sabath (Austin band that decided to do a Latin take on Black Sabbath songs, amazing)

I could probably go on, but will stop there. I'm almost 60 and still looking for new music and bands to listen to. Love Apple Music, cause I can experiment and download anything to try. Helps with all the travel I do for business, because I always have something new to listen to on the plane.

Hope you enjoy.

This is pretty good stuff. Thanks!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think I'm older than most of you. The music I enjoy most is about as old as I am. I listen mostly to blues and R&B from the forties and fifties. Specifically, my favorite types of music is postwar piano based blues (think Memphis Slim, Roosevelt Sykes, Champion Jack Dupree, Wynonnie Harris, etc.)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Gregorian Chant

but it really comes alive when done by the Ramones

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Mostly 60s rock, soul and Jazz for me. Beatles, Stones, Who, Traffic, Van Morrison Paul Simon. Soul would be more Jr. Walker, Percy Sledge, Sam & Dave than Motown but I like that too, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, Jazz: Miles, Cannonball Adderley, Grover Washington

Reaction Score
I listen to literally evert genre but my favorite artists are Eminem, U2, Bob Marley, and Foreigner.

Reaction Score
The only thing I listen to is Bruce Springsteen. My iPod consists of 1,500 Springsteen songs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Curious, why do you call hip hop a guilty pleasure?
Because I'm a middle-aged, suburban white guy and I'm sure I look plenty silly busting out the Biggie, for example.

The music speaks of a life I know nothing about and often uses extremely inappropriate and offense language that I don't condone or use generally myself. So I feel a bit guilty when I'm jamming it and singing it at the top of my lungs. And I'm sure it ain't pretty.

I'm aware that some seminal artists like the Beastie Boys (whom I love) defy the stereotype, but they are the exception.

And I should clarify that what I'm talking about would be considered "old school" rap/hip-hop. I started with Blowfly on vinyl back in the day, then Sugar Hill gang. Growing up in Stratford near the Bridgeport line, I was among the minority on my Pop Warner and Little League teams as a Caucasian, and our teams would routinely sing every word on the bus, with some memorable choreography, so the seed was planted early for me to like a lot of what would follow, up through about Public Enemy, N.W.A., Run DMC, Biggie, Snoop, Beastie Boys, Dre, Wu Tang and Jurassic 5, which is probably about as recent as I get with the genre. I don't know or listen to any of the more recent hip hop or rap artists. The Backspin channel on Sirius captures most of what I'm talking about (it's a preset for me).

But the question of genre always blurs for me. Some say that Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" was one of the first rap songs; others trace it back to Gil Scott Heron--and I love them both.

Americana really does seem to capture the "roots" that cross a lot of the music I love, which can probably all be traced to the Blues. As Wynton Marsalis put it when I saw him speak at Yale, the Blues is to good music as olive oil is to good food.

And to come full circle with that, I present perhaps the best cover ever, by a great band from Austin, the Gourds. I've seen them a couple times at Rhythm & Roots, including on the day that Dr. Dre's son died, when they played this song and were remarkably respectful and irreverent at the same time, as they segued into "Amazing Grace" at the end when it mentions him, and then back into the song again:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mostly 60s rock, soul and Jazz for me. Beatles, Stones, Who, Traffic, Van Morrison
Beatles, Stones, Van, Dylan and the Grateful Dead would probably be my Mount Rushmore. I have more music from those five than all my other music combined--and I have a lot of music.

Love Traffic and the Who, too.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
A few of my favorite albums : Keith Jarrett - "Facing You" , John Coltrane Quartet - "live at the village vanguard", Gang Starr - "Full Clip", Donny Hathaway "Live " and most works by Cassandra Wilson + Anything Afro- Cuban

image.jpg

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Because I'm a middle-aged, suburban white guy and I'm sure I look plenty silly busting out the Biggie, for example.

The music speaks of a life I know nothing about and often uses extremely inappropriate and offense language that I don't condone or use generally myself. So I feel a bit guilty when I'm jamming it and singing it at the top of my lungs. And I'm sure it ain't pretty.

But the question of genre always blurs for me. Some say that Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" was one of the first rap songs; others trace it back to Gil Scott Heron--and I love them both.

Americana really does seem to capture the "roots" that cross a lot of the music I love, which can probably all be traced to the Blues. As Wynton Marsalis put it when I saw him speak at Yale, the Blues is to good music as olive oil is to good food.

And to come full circle with that, I present perhaps the best cover ever, by a great band from Austin, the Gourds. I've seen them a couple times at Rhythm & Roots, including on the day that Dr. Dre's son died, when they played this song and were remarkably respectful and irreverent at the same time, as they segued into "Amazing Grace" at the end when it mentions him, and then back into the song again:

Damn eloquent!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Beatles, Stones, Van, Dylan and the Grateful Dead would probably be my Mount Rushmore. I have more music from those five than all my other music combined--and I have a lot of music.

Love Traffic and the Who, too.

Dead wouldn't make my Rushmore (like them OK) so I would probably knock them off and add TheBoss and Paul Simon. I am more amazed by Simon all the time. Graceland is something I wouldn't not own.

BTW, The Gourds are great. Remind me a little of The Band.

Reaction Score
Melodic that scares your children

But I'm just as good for some mid-90s gangsta rap

Last edited:

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Two things that some older music lovers told me a while ago: Donny Hathaway was a huge lose and influenced Stevie wonders adult work and if Ottis Redding Lived , James Brown would've been sharing a lot of the spot light he had.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A couple of mellow alternative albums I like to listen to at work are Armchair Apocrypha by Andrew Bird and Andorra by Caribou.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dead wouldn't make my Rushmore (like them OK) so I would probably knock them off and add TheBoss and Paul Simon. I am more amazed by Simon all the time. Graceland is something I wouldn't not own.

BTW, The Gourds are great. Remind me a little of The Band.
The Band and Bruce are probably both in my next five, and Bruce is hands down the best live performer of my generation imo. The man brings it every single night.

I like Paul Simon a lot, too, especially Graceland, and also a lot of his earlier stuff. But I have to admit that I soured on him a little when I read about the rift between him and certain members of Los Lobos, apparently stemming from some of the music that ultimately became Graceland. I don't remember the details but iirc the claim was that they introduced him to and taught him a lot of that music (e.g., he allegedly didn't even know how to pronounce "zydeco" when they first met him), and that he used them and failed to credit them.

I realize that stuff happens a lot to varying degrees. Hell, Dylan has apparently lifted some stuff wholesale, especially from some Japanese poet; and Robbie Robertson screwed Levon and the rest of The Band out of songwriting royalties when Albert Grossman advised him to take credit and the others didn't know any better. And I've always held a grudge against Robbie for that. But I still like most of his music, too.

I guess if being decent people mattered we'd probably be crossing a lot of these people off the list.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Never heard about the Los Lobos thing. I had heard he was "abusing" Ladysmith Black Mumbazzo (I thought that charge was bogus)
Ever hear Capeman? Simon's short-lived Broadway musical. Another of my favorites.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom