OT - Music Genre | The Boneyard

OT - Music Genre

Reaction Score
What type of music does everyone listen to? Like most people, I like a wide variety. But I love the "modern" alternative rock that has come out in the last 5-6 years. Here's an Arcade Fire song I really like.

I'm frequently looking for music that I can listen to at work. Mellow stuff with a good beat. Something that's not too distracting. Any suggestions?

Bands that I really like (not necessarily great for work listening):
- The Nationals
- Arcade Fire
- Fleet Foxes
- The Killers
- etc..

Most of the alternative music I listen to is about 3-5 years old. I'm always looking for newer stuff.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I also like many different types of music, but there is one artist who transcends all genres. His music seems to encompass everything that has come before it and anticipate everything that will follow.

Click on the album cover to read the reviews for this essential record and get a sense of just how much it extends it to pretty much every aspect of existence; it may well be the most important music ever recorded (and the song "Hot Shot City" is particularly good):

Reaction Score
I also like many different types of music, but there is one artist who transcends all genres. His music seems to encompass everything that has come before it and anticipate everything that will follow.

Click on the album cover to read the reviews for this essential record and get a sense of just how much it extends it to pretty much every aspect of existence; it may well be the most important music ever recorded (and the song "Hot Shot City" is particularly good):

Better than this?

610sRdFhniL._SX425_.jpg

Reaction Score
What's now typically called "Americana" is cranking away right now, especially with the cr*p that "country" radio plays....

The Mavericks, Lucinda Williams, Sturgill Simpson, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, Jason Isbell, John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, Los Lobos, Kasey Chambers, Shovels & Rope, Alabama Shakes, Buddy Miller, Lydia Loveless. Hard Working Americans....

Reaction Score
funny I was a fan of the killers, but I find Arcade Fire to have too hipster and pretentious an aura around them for me to ever get into.

Fan of many genres, from jokey Lil Dicky raps to jazz to dance music with a 90s vibe to it, "no country" is my one main rule on music

A recent favorite on my playlists is this band from Staten Island who play what is called "afrobeat" music. They're called the Budos Band, and their music sounds like the soundtrack to a spy movie. A handful of their songs have been used in liquor ads over the years. Check out "Up From the South", "Eastbound", "Aynotchesh Yererfu", "The Volcano Song", "Budos Rising", "Black Venom", "Chicago Falcon", if you want to get an idea of what they're all about

Recently had my eyes opened to a well established European musician who speaks in French, music wavers from dance to reggae-ish and out from there, his name is Stromae. You can just throw on his catalog on Spotify but some tracks are "ta fete", "papaoutai", "formidable", "Alors on danse", 'Carmen". Took me a few listens before it started to infect my earholes and now I'm off the deep end on his stuff

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
What's now typically called "Americana" is cranking away right now, especially with the cr*p that "country" radio plays....

The Mavericks, Lucinda Williams, Sturgill Simpson, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, Jason Isbell, John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, Los Lobos, Kasey Chambers, Shovels & Rope, Alabama Shakes, Buddy Miller, Lydia Loveless. Hard Working Americans....

I'm seeing Sturgill Simpson and Alabama Shakes this weekend. Very excited..

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I wasn't a huge fan of Arcade Fire (I thought they were pretentious, mostly based on the number of people in the band) until I saw them in concert a couple years ago (MSG). They blew me away. Their music is so layered. I saw them again last year at Barclays.

Reaction Score
Since this is a basketball board and we are talking about music, did you guys know that Bruce Hornsby's son plays or played for LSU? Apparently, Bruce plays a lot himself.

Years ago the NBA used one of his songs in a TV commercial. The commercial was just a bunch of clips of MJ and Dr J dunking/scoring. Hornsby's song, "The Way It is" was played throughout the commercial. Always like that commercial.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

The Mavericks, Lucinda Williams,Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, Jason Isbell, John Hiatt, Los Lobos, Buddy Miller,

That's right in my wheelhouse, too; I've seen all of the above live in the past few months, and most of the rest previously as well. If you haven't attended the Rhythm & Roots festival over Labor Day weekend in Ninigret, RI you should. Lots of this stuff. We've been for the past 15 years or so. Always a great time.

If you have Sirius, the Loft is great for this and lots more. Meg Griffin's show especially (coincidentally playing Buddy Miller as I type).

I have literally hundreds of artists to recommend, but based on this and my understanding of your classic rock roots, I very highly recommend that you check out Anders Osborne if you don't know him already.

A recent favorite on my playlists is this band from Staten Island who play what is called "afrobeat" music. They're called the Budos Band, and their music sounds like the soundtrack to a spy movie. A handful of their songs have been used in liquor ads over the years. Check out "Up From the South", "Eastbound", "Aynotchesh Yererfu", "The Volcano Song", "Budos Rising", "Black Venom", "Chicago Falcon", if you want to get an idea of what they're all about

Budus is great. Just saw them at Spaceland Ballroom in Hamden a few months ago. The spy movie music is part of it, but there's also a bit of an evil bent to it--like Satan's soundtrack, but not in a bad way if that makes sense.

Hip hop/rap is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I was only too happy to discover the Wudos Band a few years ago--a brilliant mash-up of the Wu Tang Clan and the Budos Band. If you like this, google for a download of the album. It's great stuff:

Reaction Score
That's right in my wheelhouse, too; I've seen all of the above live in the past few months, and most of the rest previously as well. If you haven't attended the Rhythm & Roots festival over Labor Day weekend in Ninigret, RI you should. Lots of this stuff. We've been for the past 15 years or so. Always a great time.

If you have Sirius, the Loft is great for this and lots more. Meg Griffin's show especially (coincidentally playing Buddy Miller as I type).

I have literally hundreds of artists to recommend, but based on this and my understanding of your classic rock roots, I very highly recommend that you check out Anders Osborne if you don't know him already.

Budus is great. Just saw them at Spaceland Ballroom in Hamden a few months ago. The spy movie music is part of it, but there's also a bit of an evil bent to it--like Satan's soundtrack, but not in a bad way if that makes sense.

Hip hop/rap is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I was only too happy to discover the Wudos Band a few years ago--a brilliant mash-up of the Wu Tang Clan and the Budos Band. If you like this, google for a download of the album. It's great stuff:

Curious, why do you call hip hop a guilty pleasure?

Reaction Score

Holy crap, that sounds pretty cool, I'll definitely check that out. and I definitely agree with the evil vibe, "Black Venom" conjures up Halloween imagery to me, I love how the bari sax is able to be so dark and mysterious

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Most of what I listen to is your standard rock stuff. Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Foo Fighters, and all the other standard bands of those individual time periods. Alter Bridge is my favorite but I also dig a lot of metal: Maiden, Megadeth, Dream Theater, and Tool to name a few. My tastes span a lot of genres but that kind of stuff is my wheelhouse.

Curious, why do you call hip hop a guilty pleasure?
I think people generally refer to things as a guilty pleasure if they think that style just goes against their roots in music. I think if you go long enough thinking "Hip hop is terrible, I only listen to true musicians" and then find out that there are some truly gifted hip hop artists, it feels like a guilty pleasure even though their talent is readily apparent to an unbiased listener.

Speaking of which, biggest guilty pleasure bands is always a fun topic. I'll jump in with absolutely no shame and say that despite my metal background, I'm a sucker for Paramore which is about as pop punk, 14 year old girl band as you can get. Somehow ended up listening to a full album of theirs a year or two ago and realized there's a bit more talent in that band than you might think.

Reaction Score
Music is personal. None is better or worse. All that matters is that it appeals to the listener. That's it. It's not about better or worse. It's about, "that works for me." Rap, country, alt rock, ska, punk, techno . . . whatever works for you - that's good music. Simple.

Reaction Score
I love pretty much every genre of music Classic rock, Hip-hop, alternative, Motown, Ska, bluegrass, heavy metal, progressive rock. I'm sure there is some good country being made nowadays but everything I've heard is terrible, it's watered down bubblegum pop. I like the old standard country guys like Cash, Willie, Waylon, and George Jones. I like that someone mentioned Los Lobos, they are one of the most underrated bands imo. Always thought this was one of the coolest songs and videos ever made.

Reaction Score
I like most types of music; even country has grown significantly recently. However, the genre I will always come back to is pop punk, which had its heyday roughly from 1997 with blink-182 until 2007 with Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown. Those early 2000s songs like Story of a Girl, Flavor of the Weak, etc. are my roots. What's funny is that I didn't really listen to stuff like that at the time, but rediscovered it mostly during my freshman year in 2013. Currently my favorites are All Time Low, Good Charlotte, and Boys Like Girls.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
What type of music does everyone listen to? Like most people, I like a wide variety. But I love the "modern" alternative rock that has come out in the last 5-6 years. Here's an Arcade Fire song I really like.

I'm frequently looking for music that I can listen to at work. Mellow stuff with a good beat. Something that's not too distracting. Any suggestions?

- The Nationals
- Arcade Fire
- Fleet Foxes
- The Killers
- etc..

Most of the alternative music I listen to is about 3-5 years old. I'm always looking for newer stuff.

Based on your list of bands, you might want to check out a couple British bands I've been digging lately- Foals and Jungle.

Reaction Score
I love pretty much every genre of music Classic rock, Hip-hop, alternative, Motown, Ska, bluegrass, heavy metal, progressive rock. I'm sure there is some good country being made nowadays but everything I've heard is terrible, it's watered down bubblegum pop. I like the old standard country guys like Cash, Willie, Waylon, and George Jones. I like that someone mentioned Los Lobos, they are one of the most underrated bands imo. Always thought this was one of the coolest songs and videos ever made.

Los Lobos are legends in the music community. I saw them back in the mid 80's a few times and finally again at Mohegan Sun's Wolf Den last fall...an all acoustic show. What an unreal amount of talent on that stage. It's funny how so many think they broke up after 'La Bamba" in 1987. :)

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I like most types of music; even country has grown significantly recently. However, the genre I will always come back to is pop punk, which had its heyday roughly from 1997 with blink-182 until 2007 with Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown. Those early 2000s songs like Story of a Girl, Flavor of the Weak, etc. are my roots. What's funny is that I didn't really listen to stuff like that at the time, but rediscovered it mostly during my freshman year in 2013. Currently my favorites are All Time Low, Good Charlotte, and Boys Like Girls.
I enjoy pop punk quite a bit myself. I can put Sum 41 and Blink 182 on any day of the week. For me, The Offspring would be my favorite punk and/or pop punk band. People mostly remember their hit singles which are definitely pop punk, but the majority of their material is a little more rooted in punk rock.

Their entire discography is really worth listening to. Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana are two of the best pop punk albums ever.

Reaction Score
I enjoy pop punk quite a bit myself. I can put Sum 41 and Blink 182 on any day of the week. For me, The Offspring would be my favorite punk and/or pop punk band. People mostly remember their hit singles which are definitely pop punk, but the majority of their material is a little more rooted in punk rock.

Their entire discography is really worth listening to. Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana are two of the best pop punk albums ever.

I really like the Offspring, too but both them and Sum41 seem more rooted in punk rock than the softer tone of pop rock, which I prefer as evidenced by the examples I used. Still though, it's a genre that I find a lot of people my age remember fondly and enjoy.

Reaction Score

- The Nationals
- Arcade Fire
- Fleet Foxes
- The Killers
- etc..

I live in Austin, arguably the live music capital of the world, and have been lucky to see a ton of great bands. Headed to ACL festival next weekend. Here are some bands I've recently found and some groups from Austin that you might want to check out:
Beach House - Bloom
The Amazing - The Amazing
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream (amazing album)
White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade (Austin band with a bit of a Grateful Dead sound)
Heartless Bastards - Arrow (Austin band, good ole rock 'n roll, great female singer very unique voice)
Hacienda - Shakedown (San Antonio band, Dan Auerbach from Black Keys produced album)
Delta Spirit - Delta Spirit and Into the Wide (now based in Austin, originally from San Diego, great live band)
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit (from Australia and was hit of SXSW, very funny lyrics)
Bridges and Powerlines - Eve (saw them at SXSW about 3 years ago, from Brooklyn, great band)
Benjamin Booker - Benjamin Booker (exploded this year, going to see him at ACL)
Alvvays - Alvvays
Real Estate - Atlas (saw them at ACL two years ago)
Shakey Graves - And the War Came (from Austin, amazing newcomer, starting to build a big following)
Alabama Shakes - both albums (know they've been mentioned, but have seen them 3 times and they're great)
Spanish Gold - South of Nowhere (collaboration between ex-Hacienda singer/guitar, My Morning Jacket drummer and Groupo Fantasico guitar player, good stuff)
Brownout - Brownout Presents Black Sabath (Austin band that decided to do a Latin take on Black Sabbath songs, amazing)

I could probably go on, but will stop there. I'm almost 60 and still looking for new music and bands to listen to. Love Apple Music, cause I can experiment and download anything to try. Helps with all the travel I do for business, because I always have something new to listen to on the plane.

Hope you enjoy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom