OT: Murdering an Inkjet Printer. | The Boneyard

OT: Murdering an Inkjet Printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The worst thing on this planet is not genocide or the plague or global warming - it's inkjet printers.

I cannot remember one time when an inkjet printer actually worked when I absolutely needed it to work. Want to print a 4x6 of your kid doing something pointless? Inkjet printer will handle that, no problem. Need to print out a boarding pass? Whoops...ink's clogged and the paper tray is broken.

I hate them. Hate, hate, hate. I hate the companies that make them and I hate the people who will tell me how great their inkjet printers are because they're liars.

In any event, I just hit ours with a golf club which made me feel better for two seconds, but seems to have made things much worse.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Can't they just scan the bar code on the boarding pass on your phone?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's beyond soaking in warm water. It's not a functional piece of equipment in its present state as the not-remotely-helpful status screen is now just a scrambled mess of random signals. The putter knocked the Phone button in and that seems to have caused brain damage.

It was actually the paper tray - it refused to acknowledge that it had paper in it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
About ten years ago, my mother gave me a decorative wooden putter which was odd given that I don't play golf nor am I trusted to decorate anything in the house. So, I put it in the closet and forgot about it until I was desperately grabbing for something to whack the printer.

Impact was right on the oddly-named "Hook" button - it is now sitting lifeless in its socket. I don't know what it did before, but it doesn't do it anymore.

None of the other buttons do anything either. It would seem that I hit the printer in its brain stem - the only sign of life is the glowing white screen which once danced lively with little message like, "You're out of paper! Even though you aren't! Jackass!"

Anyway, I've ordered a laser jet off of Amazon and I've put the putter in the basement.

From Skitch.jpg

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's beyond soaking in warm water. It's not a functional piece of equipment in its present state as the not-remotely-helpful status screen is now just a scrambled mess of random signals. The putter knocked the Phone button in and that seems to have caused brain damage.

It was actually the paper tray - it refused to acknowledge that it had paper in it.

About ten years ago, my mother gave me a decorative wooden putter which was odd given that I don't play golf nor am I trusted to decorate anything in the house. So, I put it in the closet and forgot about it until I was desperately grabbing for something to whack the printer.

Impact was right on the oddly-named "Hook" button - it is now sitting lifeless in its socket. I don't know what it did before, but it doesn't do it anymore.

None of the other buttons do anything either. It would seem that I hit the printer in its brain stem - the only sign of life is the glowing white screen which once danced lively with little message like, "You're out of paper! Even though you aren't! Jackass!"

Anyway, I've ordered a laser jet off of Amazon and I've put the putter in the basement.

View attachment 6410

Not for nothing but by the looks of your attached picture the tray actually is out of paper?

And taking a good look at the reflection on the printer, you're wearing an Ewok costume?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The paper bin is under the printer - you're looking at the tray where your printed whatever would come out.

Reflection is a coat hanging over the printer. We keep it in a closet. Or we did - it's in the dumpster now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We had the same Canon printer and it was quirky but it served us well enough for about five years. I replaced it with an Epson that was the worst product I have ever purchased. So bad that Epson replaced it twice within the first two months and then finally gave me my money back when I threatened a class action lawsuit because I knew they knew it was a defective design but they kept selling it (and sending defective "refurbished" printers as replacements when they invariably didn't work).

After a lot of research I settled on a Brother printer, which has served us well so far. I know all the ink jets suck, but we needed a color printer and iirc laser options were very limited and pricey.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"Why does it say paper jam, when there is no paper jam?" - Samir Naga-na-not gonna be working here no more, anyway.

"PC Load Letter? What the duckk does that mean?" -Michael Bolton

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The best is the cartridges that have date codes embedded into the chip. So if it is a lightly used printer the cartridges can be full of ink but will not print because the ink is past date.

And Fishy, printing boarding passes is so 1999.

Boarding passes go on your phone. You're a tech guy, act like one.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The worst thing on this planet is not genocide or the plague or global warming - it's inkjet printers.

I cannot remember one time when an inkjet printer actually worked when I absolutely needed it to work. Want to print a 4x6 of your kid doing something pointless? Inkjet printer will handle that, no problem. Need to print out a boarding pass? Whoops...ink's clogged and the paper tray is broken.

I hate them. Hate, hate, hate. I hate the companies that make them and I hate the people who will tell me how great their inkjet printers are because they're liars.

In any event, I just hit ours with a golf club which made me feel better for two seconds, but seems to have made things much worse.
And the price of ink cost more than the printer!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I went through a similar process with my inkjet, minus the golf club troubleshooting technique. I ordered a nice color laser Samsung 4in1.

Now, I have problems with toner cartridges. I mostly print B&W, only using color for special occasions. Now, half the time I want to print, the printer says I'm out of toner (color cartridges only), and I can't print anything as a result, even though I'm ostensibly only using the Black toner cartridge. The color cartridges must dry out or something. Same result for copying. printers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We had the same Canon printer and it was quirky but it served us well enough for about five years. I replaced it with an Epson that was the worst product I have ever purchased. So bad that Epson replaced it twice within the first two months and then finally gave me my money back when I threatened a class action lawsuit because I knew they knew it was a defective design but they kept selling it (and sending defective "refurbished" printers as replacements when they invariably didn't work).

I've heard about this mythical "good" brand of printers. Let us know if you ever discover one.

Count printers firmly in the category of electronic devices one should NEVER purchase or accept refurbished. Disaster.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People still use printers? How cute.

Let me guess. You still write out checks and mail them with a stamp too, right?

Can you believe that's the only way I can pay my health insurance? It's absurd.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you fly JetBlue, you can only have one boarding pass per phone.

If you have three people flying and one of them is ten years old and doesn't have her own iPhone, you need to print out a boarding pass for her.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Deepster said:
Your 10 yr old doesn't have her own iPad/iTouch yet? Tyrant.

I was going to say something similar, but actually knowing there is a 10 year old in this world without an iPhone is refreshing and gives me hope.
I resisted getting my daughter one forever because for preteen girls the social aspect is fraught with pitfalls, but when she was literally the ONLY kid in her 5th grade class without one I had to relent. Kids are vicious if you have one and more vicious if you don't.

However I think since Fishy is such an esteemed yarder that in boneyard tradition he should get his daughter TWO smartphones and start her on a. 50.1 mile running regimen .
In fact running would be preferred to JetBlue.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've heard about this mythical "good" brand of printers. Let us know if you ever discover one.

Count printers firmly in the category of electronic devices one should NEVER purchase or accept refurbished. Disaster.

Back in early courtship, when I wondered if I'd ever be allowed to say -word in front of this seemingly sweet flower, I expressed frustration with an unaccountably unpaired wifi printing connection. From her workstation in a very professional work setting (mine was a home office), she casually and firmly said, "Printers suck!" which shattered a barrier and opened us up to an entirely new way of knowing each other. We've both used the line many times since.

Still, I don't think I'd recommend anything above a 6-iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom