OT: Mudiay making $1.2 million next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mudiay making $1.2 million next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The kids gonna but a sub 20 millionaire capable of taking care of his family and buying an education while playing the game he loves. If he went smu over this deal id be thinking hes an idiot.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Strange you would think he would be able to get a bigger contract, hes a more highly touted prospect. Maybe some chinese shoe company with sign him to like a 5 mill deal to sport their gear for a year.

Not sure - Jennings was the #1/#1/#4 in Scout/ESPN/Rivals and was the MVP of the McD's game. There was a ton of hype surrounding him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a company give Mudiay a contract though just like Under Armour did with Jennings.

Reaction Score
Eh, if he goes there for a year, doesn't hurt his draft stock and still goes in the lottery its a smart move. That's a lot of dough. You don't see it more often because my guess is most parents are not to keen on letting they're 17 and 18 year old teenagers that they still have to remind to clean their rooms, go off to a strange land with bokuu bucks in their pockets. For some kids that age that sort of arrangement could end badly. I would think this kids family thinks he could handle it.

Reaction Score
Guangdong, I believe is a province. There's some interesting boom towns/cities there in South China.

Yeah, China ain't what it used to be bicycles and all. Its as progressive (i.e. big cities) as any American city. Language/culture is still a huge barrier. It may not help his basketball skills, but at 20 years old he will be a different person when he returns.

To be paid a million bucks to live in a strange land for just a year, doing what you love to do, ain't a bad deal for a teenager. Job corps pays much less, I think only a stipend. In fact he'll have had more life experiences that a freshman in college.

Reaction Score
Ok, well I'm not suggesting they all should be forced to do it,
Well no , I sure hope you wouldn't
so what's your point?
Do I really need to expound and explain why kids might want to stay as close to their families as possible? It doesn't just make intuitive sense to you?

I'd argue you're more isolated from your family going across the country to play for a specific school and then not being given any sort of money to fly them out to see you.
lmao.... okay so you're less isolated in China, where literally the only option is flying your family across the world, again to China, from which you would be calling internationally and from a completely different time zone. Oh not to mention you're dropped in to a completely alien culture, half a world away from your base of support.

Yeah, what 18 year old wouldn't be amped for that?

Reaction Score

Do I really need to expound and explain why kids might want to stay as close to their families as possible? It doesn't just make intuitive sense to you?

lmao.... okay so you're less isolated in China, where literally the only option is flying your family across the world, again to China, from which you would be calling internationally and from a completely different time zone. Oh not to mention you're dropped in to a completely alien culture, half a world away from your base of support.

18yr dudes that realize china has more women than the entire north american population and that theyd have a million bucks in their pocket to play with?

Reaction Score

My post was 2 lines, did you really need to break it into 3 pieces to create what you apparently think was a coherent response?

My point is simply that there have to be a lot of kids with top basketball talent willing to spend a basketball season abroad to earn a ton of money and see a new part of the world, especially if the NCAA rules remain as ass-backwards as they are. It's not for everyone.

Reaction Score
18yr dudes that realize china has more women than the entire north american population and that theyd have a million bucks in their pocket to play with?

You've obviously never been to China...male/female ratio is the worst in the world for a guy.....you know that's the place where they give up female babies for adoption...or worse..

Reaction Score
You've obviously never been to China...male/female ratio is the worst in the world for a guy.....you know that's the place where they give up female babies for adoption...or worse..
LOL Better for Muliday (concentration without distraction). Women are the number two downfall to professional athletes after injury. I'm making that up but I would bet its true. ;)

Reaction Score
Wait, which planet did you say you were from where making a million bucks a year didn't change "dating" dynamics? Ive been to china on business several times, although only to urban centers, and yes the overall ratio is garbage, but that in no way matters for young successful americans. Women will throw themselves at you, literally, because as you mentioned, it pretty much sucks to be a chick there. Say what you will about the state of humanity, but you cant ignore the power of money in reality on this planet.

Reaction Score
Wait, which planet did you say you were from where making a million bucks a year didn't change "dating" dynamics? Ive been to china on business several times, although only to urban centers, and yes the overall ratio is garbage, but that in no way matters for young successful americans. Women will throw themselves at you, literally, because as you mentioned, it pretty much sucks to be a chick there. Say what you will about the state of humanity, but you cant ignore the power of money in reality on this planet.

The idea that someone is sending you to China on business and presumably thinks its a good idea makes me feel quite uneasy. You do have some funny posts though.

Reaction Score
The idea that someone is sending you to China on business and presumably thinks its a good idea makes me feel quite uneasy. You do have some funny posts though.
Self awareness and having adequate outlets helps greatly reduce the likelihood that I get fired for either excessively repulsive language or behavior. Im also fortunate to have always worked for institutions where performance and profitability were paramount and anything else short of your name ending up the paper was inconsequential at best. I actually know a guy who successfully petitioned a large US IBank to get a resident visa from the Japanese Gov't. for a hooker he met in Thailand. They didn't even speak the same language... way awkward having dinner with them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Self awareness and having adequate outlets helps greatly reduce the likelihood that I get fired for either excessively repulsive language or behavior. Im also fortunate to have always worked for institutions where performance and profitability were paramount and anything else short of your name ending up the paper was inconsequential at best. I actually know a guy who successfully petitioned a large US IBank to get a resident visa from the Japanese Gov't. for a hooker he met in Thailand. They didn't even speak the same language... way awkward having dinner with them.

I would have found that immensely entertaining.

Reaction Score
I would have found that immensely entertaining.
It was for about the first 20min or so, but I couldn't really just laugh at the two of them sitting directly across the table from me. The dinner was over two hours, 5+ courses, and somewhere in the middle of it I guess one of my last shreds of morality had woken up and taken notice that the situation across from me was really duckcked up. It was pretty close to corporate sponsored sex trafficking just entirely legal. I have a duckcked up sense of humor, but that was really too far for me. Wall Street is a crazy place, Im glad I got out.

Reaction Score

Yeah but Mudiay isn't some finance who can't get his d___ wet if he doesn't pay for it. And by the way, have you ever seen the girls that go to SMU? I think he'd be pretty happy there too.

I have no doubt that college is not an option for the kid based on what's going on with Prime Prep, but if college was still on the table for him I'd take a year of coaching from Larry Brown and better competition over no coaching and/or development in Guangzho for a couple hundred Gs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It was for about the first 20min or so, but I couldn't really just laugh at the two of them sitting directly across the table from me. The dinner was over two hours, 5+ courses, and somewhere in the middle of it I guess one of my last shreds of morality had woken up and taken notice that the situation across from me was really duckcked up. It was pretty close to corporate sponsored s e x trafficking just entirely legal. I have a duckcked up sense of humor, but that was really too far for me. Wall Street is a crazy place, Im glad I got out.

Yikes 2hrs is a bit much. I might have been rude and excused myself. Stomach bug. Don't take offense, but I probably could watch a candid camera vid of you squirming in your seat through that 2hr affair. That too would be entertaining.

Reaction Score
Yeah but Mudiay isn't some finance who can't get his d___ wet if he doesn't pay for it. And by the way, have you ever seen the girls that go to SMU? I think he'd be pretty happy there too.

I have no doubt that college is not an option for the kid based on what's going on with Prime Prep, but if college was still on the table for him I'd take a year of coaching from Larry Brown and better competition over no coaching and/or development in Guangzho for a couple hundred Gs.
Never been to SMU but I know its got a good reputation both academically and talent pool wise.
Yikes 2hrs is a bit much. I might have been rude and excused myself. Stomach bug. Don't take offense, but I probably could watch a candid camera vid of you squirming in your seat through that 2hr affair. That too would be entertaining.
I really couldn't blame you, but I forgot to mention one of the most ridiculous parts. The young woman was a vegetarian, which Im told is very common in Thailand, and the dinner was at a gourmet steak house. Until my conscience woke up, the first 20mins or so were hysterical and my sides kinda hurt from holding it in.

Reaction Score
Maybe a lot of these 18 year olds don't want to literally be on the other side of the globe from their families

Not just that, but you're also skipping out on getting VIP treatment at college for seven months where virtually everybody is around your age for a foreign country where most of your teammates are grown men and don't even speak english. If I knew I was going to be a millionaire anyway and could choose between spending seven months in college or in China, it would be an easy decision for me.

Reaction Score
My post was 2 lines, did you really need to break it into 3 pieces to create what you apparently think was a coherent response?

My point is simply that there have to be a lot of kids with top basketball talent willing to spend a basketball season abroad to earn a ton of money and see a new part of the world, especially if the NCAA rules remain as ass-backwards as they are. It's not for everyone.
Nope I didn't need to, I chose to

I understand your point (although you initially presented it fairly clumsily), and I'm simply providing another perspective. You're the one who claimed to have "never understood" why a kid wouldn't like to stay in at least the same country as his family. edit how or why that doesn't intuitively make sense to you is odd, I must say.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL Better for Muliday (concentration without distraction). Women are the number two downfall to professional athletes after injury. I'm making that up but I would bet its true. ;)
I'd definitely put pot up there, seems this off season someone's getting suspended every week for it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd definitely put pot up there, seems this off season someone's getting suspended every week for it.

In the NFL, you can knock your fiancé out cold and only get 2 games. Get caught smoking a couple times and you lose a season.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
In the NFL, you can knock your fiancé out cold and only get 2 games. Get caught smoking a couple times and you lose a season.
He married her so it's technically consensual.

Reaction Score
Good for Mudiay. Why should he go to SMU and do something for free that he can get paid $1.2MM to do? Plus he can spend as much training and practicing with coaches as he wants now.

I still feel bad that kids like Mudiay are forced to go Europe, China or the Middle East to earn a living. The greedy NBA and NCAA exploit poor, young black men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom