OT: Mudiay making $1.2 million next year | The Boneyard

OT: Mudiay making $1.2 million next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Still less than Brandon Jennings got in Italy.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I've never understood why more elite prospects don't do this. Go overseas for one year, make a ton of money, see a new part of the world, then come back and play in the NBA.

Can't say "Guangdong" would be my #1 destination choice, but to each their own.

Reaction Score
Still less than Brandon Jennings got in Italy.
Strange you would think he would be able to get a bigger contract, hes a more highly touted prospect. Maybe some chinese shoe company with sign him to like a 5 mill deal to sport their gear for a year.

Btw marbury is like the michael jordan of basketball over there.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I've never understood why more elite prospects don't do this. Go overseas for one year, make a ton of money, see a new part of the world, then come back and play in the NBA.

Can't say "Guangdong" would be my #1 destination choice, but to each their own.

Well I've been there and it will be a great cultural experience for this kid. But, having been around China a bit, this also would not be my first choice there if China had to be my destination.

Wonder why not Europe?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My guess is that China was the high-bidder.

The bigger Euro teams probably didn't want a one year rental who's a month out of fake high school. That's a headache they don't need.

Reaction Score
This could be a new trend. There is another top prospect considering overseas, name escapes me but that's some serious cha ching anyway you slice it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This could be a new trend. There is another top prospect considering overseas, name escapes me but that's some serious cha ching anyway you slice it.

It's not a trend. Only one other guy since Brandon Jennings has done this. Way better for your marketability to play NCAA ball.

This kid would be playing college ball if he didn't run afoul of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Maybe a lot of these 18 year olds don't want to literally be on the other side of the globe from their families
Ok, well I'm not suggesting they all should be forced to do it, so what's your point?

I'd argue you're more isolated from your family going across the country to play for a specific school and then not being given any sort of money to fly them out to see you.

Reaction Score
Guangdong, I believe is a province. There's some interesting boom towns/cities there in South China.

This kid is in for a cultural whirlwind. This has to be Andre Drummond's bringing his Mom & sister to live as well. The Jennings story in Italy was quite funny.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Jeremey Tyler did this as well (now on the Knicks roster)... He was a kid from San Diego who left after his junior year of high school skipping not only college but his senior year of high school to go over seas.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Jeremey Tyler did this as well (now on the Knicks roster)... He was a kid from San Diego who left after his junior year of high school skipping not only college but his senior year of high school to go over seas.

yea he went to Israel and it was a terrible experience for him

Reaction Score
Not saying it was a great experience, simply saying Brandon Jennings was not the only one

Reaction Score
brandon jennings and jeremy tyler were both headcases and still are. Maybe mudiay can figure it out, being a first gen from a struggling family i can understand the need for $. If i were him i would have taken a little less to play in europe, but there is a serious hoops community in china too.

Reaction Score
Just saying some kids see the dollar signs and of course this would only apply if you are highly skilled but this could be an option.

Reaction Score
brandon jennings and jeremy tyler were both headcases and still are. Maybe mudiay can figure it out, being a first gen from a struggling family i can understand the need for $. If i were him i would have taken a little less to play in europe, but there is a serious hoops community in china too.

NCAA Hoops>>CBA, the defense played over there is trash, he's not gonna learn much. I understand taking that contract though, because after the Jennings and Tyler experiments I can't see a Euro team paying anywhere near that to have a dude for a year that wouldn't really be a difference maker.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yeah that's the guy I was talking about. Couldn't remember his name. Thanks.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Jennings got 1.2M as well I believe

Jennings got $1.6 guaranteed in Italy.

It's not a trend. Only one other guy since Brandon Jennings has done this. Way better for your marketability to play NCAA ball.

This kid would be playing college ball if he didn't run afoul of the NCAA.

A lot of people were thinking it would become a trend after Jennings did it, but it's never caught on. You have to remember these are 18-year-old kids. Not only that, but the guys who have done it have been questionable in terms of eligibility, so there was more incentive to go overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom