OT: Just cut tie with cable company | The Boneyard

OT: Just cut tie with cable company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just installed some rabbit ears antenna, very happy with the reception beyond expectation :). The only thing I will miss the most is not able to catch my favorite sport in the world The UCONN WB. :(

Reaction Score
So how are you getting access to the Internet? At home, that is.

Reaction Score
Just installed some rabbit ears antenna, very happy with the reception beyond expectation :). The only thing I will miss the most is not able to catch my favorite sport in the world The UCONN WB. :(
In the likely event that your provider is a member, espn3.com is your best friend here. You can catch almost all of UConn's games (with the exception this year of the two USF games and one of the Rutgers games) streaming.

Reaction Score
Was it in response to the merger?

Reaction Score
In the likely event that your provider is a member, espn3.com is your best friend here. You can catch almost all of UConn's games (with the exception this year of the two USF games and one of the Rutgers games) streaming.

Thanks for head ups, but I'm so done with TV cable company.

Reaction Score
One more try.

Who are you getting your Internet connection from?
Com Cast Cable.

Was it in response to the merger?

No, but you know it's going to be worse every time in a merger.
I just have enough with their lies, sneaky, monopoly, and expensive.
Why should we pay big bucks to watch commercials? As far as I know advertisers want audiences, we should getting paid to watch. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
stock-photo-stress-out-business-man-cut-his-tie-with-feeling-mad-80864725.jpg

Image of Hongster above...

Reaction Score

I'm thinking Hongster owes me about two years' worth of royalties for infringing on my copyrighted handle Wonkster.

Reaction Score
Cheryl and I dumped our cable tv/internet/phone package a few years ago, and just do cable internet, Netflix and our cell phones. We catch almost all the games (except those on CBSSN) on ESPN, which is the only time we have to deal with commercials.
Hongster, you might want to check out picking up an HD antenna to pick up all the HD broadcast stations. You'd be surprised how much is available out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dump your internet too. I've watched several UConn games on BurgerKing internet. It's amazing how many interesting people hang out at BK for several hours. Did you know some people can nurse a coffee for up to six hours? But that's usually because I won't give them any coin to get a refresh. the upside is that if you do buy them coffee, they will all loyally cheer for the team (it doesn't even matter which team).

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Hongster owes me about two years' worth of royalties for infringing on my copyrighted handle Wonkster.
That depends on how old you are not how many thread you have! :)

Dump your internet too. I've watched several UConn games on BurgerKing internet. It's amazing how many interesting people hang out at BK for several hours. Did you know some people can nurse a coffee for up to six hours? But that's usually because I won't give them any coin to get a refresh. the upside is that if you do buy them coffee, they will all loyally cheer for the team (it doesn't even matter which team).

I need to hang with you more often :) That's extreme frugal.

Hongster, you might want to check out picking up an HD antenna to pick up all the HD broadcast stations. You'd be surprised how much is available out there.

You are absolutely correct, and yes I bought a HD antenna and was very happy with the reception, crystal clear. ;)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've watched several UConn games on BurgerKing internet. It's amazing how many interesting people hang out at BK for several hours. Did you know some people can nurse a coffee for up to six hours? But that's usually because I won't give them any coin to get a refresh. the upside is that if you do buy them coffee, they will all loyally cheer for the team (it doesn't even matter which team).
I need to hang with you more often :) That's extreme frugal.

There's frugal and there's nuts. And that is the latter.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I'd rater be dragged across the desert by my testicles than not have cable and internet. Frugal that.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

I'm thinking you guys should merge, form one, big monopolistic posting entity, called Whongkster ....:eek:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I believe you. A test is in order. If you are right, I'll apologize for not believing you:)

I'd rater be dragged across the desert by my testicles than not have cable and internet. Frugal that.

Ha ha! I don't know about you but I would give up every thing I own for not being dragged by the balls. :eek:

Reaction Score
What makes me shake my head in wonder: How much amusement BY visitors can get, scanning posts by strange people in threads like this one. And for free, unless you pay for cable mostly to read then BY.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I certainly realize that everyone has different financial situations and general taste in entertainment which helps them to decide what they need or want. Thankfully, as a retired federal official at this point in my life I can afford the ridiculous prices charged by such as Directv and Comcast (out here in New Mexico, I have the former for TV--which includes UConn on SNY, and the latter for Internet and phone). But when it comes to being angry about corporations and how so many of them rip off the American public, and believe me I wish more people were angry at these corporations and their absurd profits, the problem is that one would almost have to become a hermit to avoid these outrages.

Reaction Score
I certainly realize that everyone has different financial situations and general taste in entertainment which helps them to decide what they need or want. Thankfully, as a retired federal official at this point in my life I can afford the ridiculous prices charged by such as Directv and Comcast (out here in New Mexico, I have the former for TV--which includes UConn on SNY, and the latter for Internet and phone). But when it comes to being angry about corporations and how so many of them rip off the American public, and believe me I wish more people were angry at these corporations and their absurd profits, the problem is that one would almost have to become a hermit to avoid these outrages.

and that's not such a bad thing, except keep the sny and UConn games. :cool: The rest does not matter.

Reaction Score

Roger that!
Cable TVs are way over rated and too many commercials. Most of the stations are garbage anyway.
All I need is some local news and Uconn WB. I got one taken care of by HD antenna, the other will come in some form of internet streaming.

Between Roku and Netflix, I can watch whatever I want without interruption.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
But it comes back to what RoyDodger said. I can afford to watch what I want. And I do it without commercial - I watch nothing live, everything on tape.

One of the issues for anyone - in addition to economics, is what you want to watch. As someone who doesn't watch any movies or episodic television shows, I do enjoy my sports, home and cooking shows, etc. On my large screen TV. Which unfortunately means I pay a moderately exorbitant amount for the right to watch them.

Reaction Score

I find it strange that someone is outraged over something they volunteer for.

FLhuskey

Toyota FJ Cruiser !
Reaction Score
For those considering over-the-air (OTA) reception -- go to tvfool.com TVFool "Check your address for free TV" part or Antennapoint and input your zip code to see what stations you may be able to get. Then add a small indoor "Leaf" style antenna Leaf and watch true HD.

I think the HD signals provided by cable are "compressed" and while better than the older standard definition are not real HD as transmitted by the stations.

The output from your zip code entry also includes which direction to point the antenna for the stations, and is color coded for your chances to receive the signal (green = good chance)
Radar-All-2.png

Once you see the possibilities using a small leaf style - maybe a larger antenna in the attic or on the roof can be considered. Antennas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32