OT- Josh Smith to the pistons per ESPN... | The Boneyard

OT- Josh Smith to the pistons per ESPN...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if dumars expects him to play the 3. If so, all those ill advised long twos smith will launch should help DRE's offensive boards. that's about the only upside.

Reaction Score
Moves like this show how bad of a GM that Joe Dumars is. Has he seen Josh Smith play? Smith puts up some gaudy numbers and is a decent defensive player, but there is no way that he can play the 3 on offense. I have to assume that Monroe is getting traded or this signing makes absolutely no sense. I'd rather have built the team with Monroe as my starting 4 than Smith. Of course Dumars can exacerbate this stupid move with trading Monroe for Rondo and have another starting 5 player that can't shoot but puts up great numbers. Plus you have Mo Cheeks as your head coach.

Reaction Score
Rondo
KCP
Singler
Smith
Drummond

Knight as 6th man. Not horrible, won't be any hire than a 6th seed these next two years.

Reaction Score
Detroit would have to include a lot more than Monroe for Rondo since he is on his rookie deal.

If I'm Danny and they want Rondo, I want Drummond in return. However, again, the Pistons would need to include more than just AD

Reaction Score
Detroit would have to include a lot more than Monroe for Rondo since he is on his rookie deal.

If I'm Danny and they want Rondo, I want Drummond in return. However, again, the Pistons would need to include more than just AD
Stuckey is making 9 million so he would likely be included.

Reaction Score
I believe the pistons are on record claiming drummond untradable. depending on KCP and Smiths ability to hit jumpers, that line up is intriguing. drummond would have to immensely improve as an offensive force, which is totally possible. stuckey or jerebko could be thrown in, jerebko is talented and stuckey is coming off the books in '14.

Reaction Score

If the Pistons offered Drummond straight up for Rondo Boston would accept that deal in a nanosecond. Boston wants to tank and they won't be able to do so if Rondo is still on the roster - Drummond + whoever they grab in the lottery would give them two blue chippers to build around long term and they would still have a bunch of draft picks going forward.

As for Detroit, the Josh Smith signing is intriguing, but probably not one that's going to benefit them long-term. If they plan on playing Smith at the three, they'll have created floor spacing hell on offense. If they plan on going with more of a traditional NBA frontcourt, they're going to stunt either Drummond or Monroe's development. On the other hand, Detroit would be a menace to go up against on the boards and potentially well above average defensively with an alignment of Smith, Monroe, and Drummond. Frankly, I'm not sure what they think the end-game is here: why not just suck for one more year, grab another blue-chipper in the lottery to pair with Monroe and Drummond, and then go from there? You have to wonder if this is a matter of selling tickets.

Reaction Score
If the Pistons offered Drummond straight up for Rondo Boston would accept that deal in a nanosecond. Boston wants to tank and they won't be able to do so if Rondo is still on the roster - Drummond + whoever they grab in the lottery would give them two blue chippers to build around long term and they would still have a bunch of draft picks going forward.

Of course they would but they can't. Salaries don't match. As someone mentioned, a guy like Stuckey would have to be thrown in along with assorted others on both sides to make it work.

Reaction Score
Of course they would but they can't. Salaries don't match. As someone mentioned, a guy like Stuckey would have to be thrown in along with assorted others on both sides to make it work.

Gotcha

Reaction Score
After thinking about it a 3 man rotation at the 4 and 5 would work. Drummond gets 30 at center, Monroe gets 18 at center and 15 at PF, and Smith gets 33 at PF. Only thing is I'm sure the Pistons would like to use more than 3 players at two positions over an 82 game schedule, and I'm sure Jason Maxiell doesn't want to lose all his minutes. It will be interesting to see how the rotation works if they keep everybody, but I guess too much talent is a good problem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom