OT: Investing in silver | The Boneyard

OT: Investing in silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So instead of having paper cash every paycheck to blow on crap i figure just invest in silver and let it sit and accumalate over time. Ive thought of junk silver (90% pre 65 coins), bars, rounds (non monetized coin medallions), and monetized collectable coins. I decided on

NewHandChicasawHiRes.jpg

(5 oz America the Beautiful coins)

as they can increase in two possible ways. 1. collectability - some earlier versions have doubled and tripled in value and 2. silver price rising.
Any thoughts suggestions from any seasoned precious metal stackers?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So instead of having paper cash every paycheck to blow on crap i figure just invest in silver and let it sit and accumalate over time. Ive thought of junk silver (90% pre 65 coins), bars, rounds (non monetized coin medallions), and monetized collectable coins. I decided on

View attachment 9602
(5 oz America the Beautiful coins)

as they can increase in two possible ways. 1. collectability - some earlier versions have doubled and tripled in value and 2. silver price rising.
Any thoughts suggestions from any seasoned precious metal stackers?

Nothing wrong with investing in commodities, but just like anything else make sure you don't put all your money in one spot.

If you really want to invest in silver I think you would be better served in investing in the commodities market instead of purchasing coins. My guess is the coins are not too liquid i.e. may be hard to sell, but I haven't done any research on it.

Reaction Score
Yes, relatively illiquid compared to an ETF however some find peace of mind having possession of the physical metal. If you're a doomsdayer and think the global economic system is going to completely collapse then get the physical metal. Also, I believe coins are taxed as collectables versus typical capital gains for an ETF. 35% tax versus 20%?

If you're serious about it you may want to consider platinum. It is usually more expensive than gold but is currently trading at a lower price. The demand side for this stuff is almost pure speculation but from a supply standpoint platinum is considerably less abundant than gold. Lower supply would indicate a higher price everything else being equal (although everything is not necessarily equal).

Reaction Score
If you are planning on buying a decent amount, in CT, you don't have to pay sales tax if you buy more than $1,000 worth.

Reaction Score
Looks like a good time to buy silver.
Very easy to sell, particularly if you buy 1 oz coins, like Am. Eagle. Dealers and private individuals will buy. Very liquid. You can send in as much as you have to AMPEX and they'll send you a check.
I don't like the paper (ETF).
Recommend using APMEX or equivalent.

Reaction Score
Interesting topic for today. For some reason, I've been in knots over a feeling that a collapse is imminent. Up until today, I was feeling pretty good about things but this very long bull market and prolonged period of low rates is getting concerning. I found myself struggling to hit the enter key to send my monthly IRA contribution in today and a real estate investment I agreed to last week suddenly seems less appealing. No reason in particular, just a feeling in my gut that came out of nowhere.

Reaction Score
Interesting topic for today. For some reason, I've been in knots over a feeling that a collapse is imminent. Up until today, I was feeling pretty good about things but this very long bull market and prolonged period of low rates is getting concerning. I found myself struggling to hit the enter key to send my monthly IRA contribution in today and a real estate investment I agreed to last week suddenly seems less appealing. No reason in particular, just a feeling in my gut that came out of nowhere.
Last housing starts came in at highest level since the 08 crash. Stocks went down. If that doesn't scare the hell out of you, I don't know what would.

Reaction Score
I'm a collector of Silver
Proofs ,commemoratives, walking liberties,and Maple leafs since the 80 's
Love silver. Fun to have. Some of the coins are beautiful and events meaningful to me.
But
I 've made much more money in equities.The Dow didn't hit 2000 until 1987
Silver is pretty much unchanged since then
When adjusted for inflation my love has cost be money.
My brothers a gold guy ,as he expects the economy to completly melt down.
Gold was a much better investment in the 80's
I explained to him in a total meltdown even gold will have little intrinsic value.
Better to have can goods and a means to protect them.

Reaction Score
moonlight requisition has a great ROI,but is not without downside risks.

Reaction Score
TasteofUConn said:
Last housing starts came in at highest level since the 08 crash. Stocks went down. If that doesn't scare the hell out of you, I don't know what would.

Lots of housing starts don't bother me. There is a shortage in the south. The collapse stopped construction in its tracks, now we don't have enough houses and builders are playing catch up.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
How much lower can silver go? Buy coins and shove them in a safe deposit box. You will probably double your money at some point in time. And people will always buy silver. Don't back up the truck.

Reaction Score
I sold a second home I bought ten years ago as an investment and put 75% of the proceeds into 1 stock gluu mobile about 6 months ago. I'm up on it but I believe its a generational type stock that will one day trade between 70-100. High risk but its possible that if I'm right I will have made 5-7 x what I made working for 20 years

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Silver will rise if the market plunges. SLV ETF was trading at $46 a couple of years ago - it's a shadow of that now. I think there's room to catch an up cycle but no real rationale for it. Diversify.

Reaction Score
Well I like commodities when stocks fall, because when stocks go down the tinfoil hat kind of guys flock to the commodities. Now is probably the time to buy if that is what you aim to do. It is a decent long-term value holder.

And the delusional silver stackers always make me chuckle. There are too many people on this planet. If the economies around the globe crash and we fall into some Walking Dead style society, nobody will care what pieces of shiny metal you have. Nor will people flock to you or help you based on your shiny metal. People won't trade you things to survive for your shiny pieces of metal. It is just dumb.

Reaction Score
Nor will people flock to you or help you based on your shiny metal. People won't trade you things to survive for your shiny pieces of metal. It is just dumb.
I don't foresee carnage, but gold has always done well in carnage. Very well.

Reaction Score
Lots of housing starts don't bother me.
No man. It was the market reaction to the housing starts number. The market went down. THAT should scare you, because it's a massive future indicator.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've collected coins since I was a kid. My guess is you bought this coin from the U.S. mint? That's the last place I'd go to for a investment.

If you are looking for new silver coins as an investment, try the Canadian Mint. I haven't bought Canadian coins in a while, but they used to have "20 for 20" coins - one oz silver coins that were $20 face value. I never bought any, but I believe they will always be worth at least the $20 you paid.

As a long time coin collector, I can tell you from experience - they're not a great investment.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Chef Boiardi, World War II Congressional Medal of Honor recipient. Fed a heckuva lot of GIs. Amurica, ..... yeah!

I'd agree with a Nobel Prize for Beefaroni, but the Medal of Honor? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom