OT - HVAC service contracts | The Boneyard

OT - HVAC service contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
are they worth it or do you just sit back and wait til you need them?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
are they worth it or do you just sit back and wait til you need them?

Most of the one I've seen, and particularly the A/C riders on "homeowner warranties", have so many limitations (gotta use the service person we choose, $60 deductible for any visit, $xxx limit on amount payable, so many services per year, etc.) that a payback is problematic in my eyes. The payout limit is usually under $1k unless you pay a big premium, so you're not even close to a replacement if the unit's burnt out -- if replacement is even covered. And I've known a few people who had a great deal of trouble scheduling an appointment with the "chosen one".

IMHO, if you have an older unit that needs periodic smaller repairs, could be worthwhile. Otherwise, put the premium amount into a bank account every year and wait...

YMMV

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm an SVP of lending at a bank and I see very few people happy with any kind of warranty. You're better off putting that money aside for future expenses.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have never been thrilled by them. Cheerfully accepted the 1 year home warranty when we bought the house, which got us 2 garbage disposal replacements for $60 each (one our fault, one who knows). Didn't need anything else and didn't renew.

I can get an annual service contract for my HVAC but the price is exorbitant. I pay less than half that for my 2 annual visits from the same company, and it wouldn't cover much of the minor $90 repair I needed this year and wouldn't have done anything for the major repair I needed a couple of years ago. Gets you priority, but my system is relatively new and (relatively) problem free.

Will sometimes take the 1 year warranty / service contract when we purchase an appliance - it worked out well in the past with a refrigerator, but we never renew.

The only exception we make are cell phones, where it is technically "insurance" and well worth it in our experience.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
last fall/winter in Connecticut my HVAC failed and I needed service... found out it was the ignitor ( Im not gonna tell you the price) it was the only service done on it in the 3.5yrs I had it. IMO it balanced out but I was pinched hard.

I just do the normal changing of the filters

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I have never been thrilled by them. Cheerfully accepted the 1 year home warranty when we bought the house, which got us 2 garbage disposal replacements for $60 each (one our fault, one who knows). Didn't need anything else and didn't renew.

I can get an annual service contract for my HVAC but the price is exorbitant. I pay less than half that for my 2 annual visits from the same company, and it wouldn't cover much of the minor $90 repair I needed this year and wouldn't have done anything for the major repair I needed a couple of years ago. Gets you priority, but my system is relatively new and (relatively) problem free.

Will sometimes take the 1 year warranty / service contract when we purchase an appliance - it worked out well in the past with a refrigerator, but we never renew.

The only exception we make are cell phones, where it is technically "insurance" and well worth it in our experience.

Check out the flyspeck print on your credit card agreement. If you have a gold-level or higher card -- regardless of type -- it probably has:
1. Purchase protection -- replaces anything you buy with the card within 90 days for almost any loss/breakage reason except your extreme negligence.
2. Return protection -- refunds your money for a purchase within 30 days if the seller won't take it back.
3. Warranty extension -- doubles the effective term of the manufacturer's warranty, up to an additional year. Usually only applies to warranties of 5 years or less, and won't cover motorized vehicles.

There are yearly dollar limits for most of the above but they're usually big enough. And you either have to hold onto your credit card receipt or register your purchase with the card. If you do the latter, they often provide a warranty manager service, where they will actually make your warranty claim for you and deal with any hiccups that ensue.

Most things that get through the first 90 days, especially electronics, aren't going to break down in the first couple years unless they're abused.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If service contracts weren't profitable for the contractor there would be no service contracts. IMO they aren't much different than the "extended warrantee protection" offered whenever you buy some gadget.

Find an honest, reliable service tech and stick with the guy.

Reaction Score
Find an honest, reliable service tech and stick with the guy.

+2 on this opinion. I just had the blower motor burn out on my 20YO+ A/C despite yearly inspections. This is in the NV high desert and it was about 100F that day. "honest, reliable service tech" was called at 9AM and had it fixed by 5PM -- price reasonable. FWIW.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
reasonable in 100 degree weather in high desert NV, done in the same day... any price is a good price

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
reasonable in 100 degree weather in high desert NV, done in the same day... any price is a good price

Nah. 100 degrees is an agreeable late Spring day out here in the Southwest. It's gonna be 107 in Phoenix today...I'll be taking an umbrella on my post-lunch stroll.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Nah. 100 degrees is an agreeable late Spring day out here in the Southwest. It's gonna be 107 in Phoenix today...I'll be taking an umbrella on my post-lunch stroll.

Ugh, and I was complaining about 93 in Columbia today. Yes, I know, "it's a dry heat", lol; my brother lives in Tucson.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ugh, and I was complaining about 93 in Columbia today. Yes, I know, "it's a dry heat", lol; my brother lives in Tucson.
High of 104 today. High predicted between 102 and 107 for the next 10 days.

What I do find amazing here in Tucson this time of year is how warm the evenings are. At 10:20 it is still 86. One of the things folks never believe is when I tell them that the nights can be very cool, which they are at other times of the year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
High of 104 today. High predicted between 102 and 107 for the next 10 days.

What I do find amazing here in Tucson this time of year is how warm the evenings are. At 10:20 it is still 86. One of the things folks never believe is when I tell them that the nights can be very cool, which they are at other times of the year.
With the low humidity, the dew points are relatively low, so there is often a large temperature drop off at night. Of course, in mid summer that might mean a high of 110 and a "low" of 82.

Reaction Score
Glad to live in Connecticut where it's cold enough to snow at least half the months of the year and summers are generally pleasant though relatively short. If you live in the interior of the state the average number of 90+ days is 14. If you live along the coast you don't get many, and sometimes none, 90+ days in the summer depending on what part of the shoreline you live on. Having spent many summers on the beach near the CT/RI border it was always nice in the summer with temperatures getting up to about 80-82 and then a sea breeze kicks in like clockwork around 1 or 2 in the afternoon knocking temperatures back into the 70s. One time I went down south (Texas) and it was over 100 degrees, and I almost died as it was the only time I've ever experienced anything like it. I couldn't imagine living somewhere that gets to 90 or even 100+ every day for months on end like Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta or even the Carolinas.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The last time I was in Phoenix (March 2010) we rented a house in Scottsdale for a week of NBG (nuthin' but golf). It rained every day but one and it was miserably cold for most of the week. The desert was green - except for the parts that were snowed on.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
next few days :eek:
10410258_899040970121308_9144547909112033531_n.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
next few days :eek:
10410258_899040970121308_9144547909112033531_n.png
Tucson is a bit cooler, actually the high was 99 today. However, we too expect to exceed 100 the next ten days, and have for the last 10 or so (without checking exactly).

That said, it isn't as bad as folks think. We run errands just like we did in NJ; and although you can feel the heat beating down on you, the low humidity truly makes a difference. Years ago we were out here on vacation when it was 103 in Phoenix; flew home to 80's and 80% humidity at Philadelphia airport and wanted to fly back. You would be surprised. Of course you don't look to do things outdoors, but I'll trade our 12 months for NJ (or Connecticut) 12 months of weather any day.

And yes, VTCW has it correct, the Sonoran desert is a "lush" desert, actually quite green. Lots of plants and cacti and wildflowers. Grass, not so much.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Tucson is a bit cooler, actually the high was 99 today. However, we too expect to exceed 100 the next ten days, and have for the last 10 or so (without checking exactly).

That said, it isn't as bad as folks think. We run errands just like we did in NJ; and although you can feel the heat beating down on you, the low humidity truly makes a difference. Years ago we were out here on vacation when it was 103 in Phoenix; flew home to 80's and 80% humidity at Philadelphia airport and wanted to fly back. You would be surprised. Of course you don't look to do things outdoors, but I'll trade our 12 months for NJ (or Connecticut) 12 months of weather any day.

And yes, VTCW has it correct, the Sonoran desert is a "lush" desert, actually quite green. Lots of plants and cacti and wildflowers. Grass, not so much.

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is one of my all time favorite places I've ever visited.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

KBA is right. Like anywhere else not in the tropics, there are 3-4 months a year when you are mostly indoors with the windows shut. But here, it's June thru August/September rather than December thru February/March. And there's no ice on the roads or sidewalks, which is a big plus. So mostly you just adjust your schedule for when to do outdoors things.

But once the needle goes more than a bit over 110, it *does*not*matter* that it's dry -- breezes feel like someone pointing a hair dryer at your face and the sun striking your skin feels like a physical thing. Below that, it's ok in the shade. Out here, you quickly learn where the shade will be when you get out of work because those are the parking spots that fill up first.

The low desert is green, but it's a different green than other places -- more yellow. I have missed the vista of glossy, deep green new deciduous leaves in the Spring for 25 years now. I only get them with occasional trips to other places and some of the plants in our backyard landscaping. That doesn't detract from the sere beauty of the land -- it's just something I know I'm not getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom