OT: Heading out for some HS action. | The Boneyard

OT: Heading out for some HS action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots going on today. I'll miss the SWC XC Champs in Bethel for my daughters soccer in New Milford, then it's straight to Newtown as the Chargers of Ansonia come to town. Think they'll travel well with their streak on the line? Should be a great ballgame. Good luck to both squads but I have to root for my neighbors in Newtown.

Gotta give Ansonia a slight edge with speed and execution until someone can stop them. But Newtown has a solid experienced squad that won't be pushed around so this will be a fascinating match-up.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I have a daughter running in the SWC XC today - Go Pomperaug!!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Lots going on today. I'll miss the SWC XC Champs in Bethel for my daughters soccer in New Milford, then it's straight to Newtown as the Chargers of Ansonia come to town. Think they'll travel well with their streak on the line? Should be a great ballgame. Good luck to both squads but I have to root for my neighbors in Newtown.

Gotta give Ansonia a slight edge with speed and execution until someone can stop them. But Newtown has a solid experienced squad that won't be pushed around so this will be a fascinating match-up.

Ansonia can tie Cheshires state record for most consecutive wins - HUGE game 4 vs 5

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
230993_1244716365654_500_273.jpg

Reaction Score

Streak over.

Final Newton 14 Ansonia 8

Good game but not exactly a barn burner eh? McKnight is quick but thinking they miss Arkeel a bit

Reaction Score
Ansonia is a young team, not as strong up front as Newtown. Yes they miss Arkeel and had another athlete (#4) a little banged up who didn't get many touches. Not the team they were last year but Big Blue had no quit in them, and neither did their fans. With Newtown nursing a lead I couldn't believe how quiet a huge crowd was as their D was trying to hold Ansonia inside the 25. Was a great showing but some of them must have thought they were in Church!

By contrast the Ansonia fans did their best to try to keep their kids in the game and really helped swing the momentum late. But the Newtown D came up big when needed and really never gave up the edge all night. Their linebackers were tough and fast. The front 7 also caused some havoc in the backfield for the Chargers. Then with around 3 minutes to go Newtown gets the ball and decides to shut down the offense for 3 downs (sound familiar?) and give the ball right back. They got away with it but I didn't like the run up the gut on 2nd and 10 with everybody in the box.

It was a good game both offenses looked dangerous at times but a few sloppy snaps and not really a great throwing performance by either QB. Mostly the size and experience of Newtown and some of their own athletes negating the speed of Ansonia and able to run for some nice chunks of yardage. A nice game for this early in the season on a great night for football. Could have slipped away for Newtown but instead it's time to start the next Ansonia streak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SWC/NVL CHALLENGE

Weston 19 Woodland 8
Newtown 14 Ansonia 8
Bethel 17 Seymour 0
Naugatuck 44 Joel Barlow 13
Pomperaug 29 Holy Cross 28
Brookfield 49 S.Heart/Kaynor 8
Stratford 33 Watertown 8
Bunnell 48 Torrington 9
New.Fair. 41 Wilby 0
Masuk 55 Wolcott 35

Not much of a challenge this time around. Naugatuck beats a Barlow team that's a shadow of last year's.

Reaction Score
SWC/NVL CHALLENGE

Weston 19 Woodland 8
Newtown 14 Ansonia 8
Bethel 17 Seymour 0
Naugatuck 44 Joel Barlow 13
Pomperaug 29 Holy Cross 28
Brookfield 49 S.Heart/Kaynor 8
Stratford 33 Watertown 8
Bunnell 48 Torrington 9
New.Fair. 41 Wilby 0
Masuk 55 Wolcott 35

Not much of a challenge this time around. Naugatuck beats a Barlow team that's a shadow of last year's.

“@kylebrennan1: Based on discussion with @SPBowley and a few coaches, concensus is that this was the worst night in NVL football history. #cthsfb”

Reaction Score
“@kylebrennan1: Based on discussion with @SPBowley and a few coaches, concensus is that this was the worst night in NVL football history. #cthsfb”
This is the best SWC I've seen in years, top to bottom, however Brookfield and Newtown are head and shoulders above the rest. Next week the Brookfield/Newtown game will be just good as Ansonia/ Newtown was. I've watched Brookfield all season and they are very, very good.

Reaction Score
I went to Platt Tech/Wilcox Tech last night in Meriden (my son plays for Platt). Platt got their first win of the season. Went up 13-0 and held on with a late INT for a 13-7 win.

To be fair, tech school football isn't very good. But watching my team win a close game was so satisfying it made me forget about UCONN's troubles for a little while.

Reaction Score
Ansonia is a young team, not as strong up front as Newtown. Yes they miss Arkeel and had another athlete (#4) a little banged up who didn't get many touches. Not the team they were last year but Big Blue had no quit in them, and neither did their fans. With Newtown nursing a lead I couldn't believe how quiet a huge crowd was as their D was trying to hold Ansonia inside the 25. Was a great showing but some of them must have thought they were in Church!

By contrast the Ansonia fans did their best to try to keep their kids in the game and really helped swing the momentum late. But the Newtown D came up big when needed and really never gave up the edge all night. Their linebackers were tough and fast. The front 7 also caused some havoc in the backfield for the Chargers. Then with around 3 minutes to go Newtown gets the ball and decides to shut down the offense for 3 downs (sound familiar?) and give the ball right back. They got away with it but I didn't like the run up the gut on 2nd and 10 with everybody in the box.

It was a good game both offenses looked dangerous at times but a few sloppy snaps and not really a great throwing performance by either QB. Mostly the size and experience of Newtown and some of their own athletes negating the speed of Ansonia and able to run for some nice chunks of yardage. A nice game for this early in the season on a great night for football. Could have slipped away for Newtown but instead it's time to start the next Ansonia streak.
Newtown has another tough one next week against Brookfield. Newtown should win it, but it will be close. If Brookfield gets some breaks they could win it also. I've seen Brookfield play all season, my daughter is a cheerleader for them. I know several of the players and coaches, and they will give it all they have against Newtown. Brookfields junior class is the real strength of that team, they all played together on that great Pop Warner squad that won the Pop Warner states and went on to the nationals. The 2011 squad actually won the nationals and beat team Canada, so they will get another group of really good players in a couple of years. Played my ball down in Fairfield at Warde many years ago, both parents went to Ludlowe, my dad starred at Ludlowe (all-state) back when Ludlowe made the state poll almost every year. Those days are long gone. Just love the way these Brookfield kids play.

Reaction Score
Special thanks to Newtown to keep Cheshire's streak on top, especially as it started with a Turkey Day win over North Haven during my senior year. Do I sound like the Miami Dolphins or what!? That said, props to Ansonia for not being afraid to taking on a challenging schedule. Newtown has an enrollment of 1,700 and is ranked while Ansonia has just under 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom