OT: golf...women members at olde St. Andrews??? | The Boneyard

OT: golf...women members at olde St. Andrews???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago I saw an article that suggested that strong possibility.
There will be a vote by the members of the currently all male St. Andrews Club in Scotland....I think it mentioned the vote would be in September.
The tone of the article was that the committee on membership would be recommending
that women be allowed to join the club and that they seemed confident the overall vote would be
to approve.

BTW: the 2014 LPGA tour is off to a great start in terms of some sizzle.

First major of the year: won by 19 year old Lexi Thompson...American...maybe
her 4th win on tour....first major. If she becomes a star, the tour would be thrilled.

Last weekend: Michelle Wie...American.. wins an event...3rd win overall...first since 2010...now a grizzled vet of 24.
In some ways she has always been a star....but a star without portfolio. She has played very well the last part of 2013 and so far this year...consistent high finishes though without a win till a week ago.
Toss in a couple of more wins this year...including a major...and that would thrill the tour too.

If Lydia Ko [New Zealander]...just 16...already a two time winner on tour...can win a couple this year...including a major...and we have us a three-pack that the tour badly needs.

Tongue only slightly in cheek: it would add to the sizzle if each one had something snarky to say about the other two. Rivalries tend to get spiced up if all is not lovey-dovey. The rivalry between
Serena and Venus never caught fire...imo...simply because they cared too much about each other....kinda got bummed out when they beat each other.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Good post on the LPGA, and St. Andrews. I agree with all your observations about the LPGA, with the possible exception - possible - of the "snarky" angle. I do agree that rivalries are good for sports in general, and golf has benefited from this on the PGA certainly. And, there have been some pointed comments through recent years there, whether about menu suggestions or rules interpretation. But, with the women's game, I think there is a danger of playing into stereotypes - in both directions, I might add, both the "Susie Sunshine", and the "cat fight!" templates. A rivalry or two amongst these young players would be great, if it isn't portrayed as middle-school "mean girls" redux.

For years, I've said the following: most male players (certainly me) should be watching the LPGA tour more often. To paraphrase .. Bobby Jones? ... the PGA plays courses with which I am not familiar. I don't play 509 yard par fours, 7600 yd courses, and I don't hit 7 irons into 200-yd par 3's. The LPGA tour plays courses closer to what I play, both in total length and individual holes, and hit clubs somewhat similar to what I would hit. And, if you need reinforcement in understanding that golf is a game of precision and mental focus, rather than size/power, then watch LPGA players dissect a good golf course.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: June will be fascinating.

Men's Open at Pinehurst in mid-June.
The very next week...the Women's Open...at Pinehurst...same course...Pinehurts #2.

First time ever for this doubleheader. Different yardages of course but I suspect similar
set-ups.

I heard a report on the Golf Channel that there will be no traditional 'rough'.
Greens/fairways....no first cut or second cut of rough. Hit it off the fairway and you will be on pinestraw amongst the trees.

The ability to hit recovery shots will be enhanced...should be fascinating.

Reaction Score
Women at St Andrews?!
I havent been this upset since the 19th amendment passed.

Reaction Score
I saw that report also.

I could not believe it ! No deep rough.
My wife and I played Pne Needles the week following the last LPGA, U.S. Open and you would not have believed the rough ! You could drop a ball at your feet, and it would disappear.
It was fun though, to play U.S. Open set-up !

I watched Lexi and Michelle. Lexi won that first major because she was blowing the ball by everyone off the tee, and keeping it in the Fairway, and also putting well for a change. I heard the announcers question why Michelle did not hit more drivers on Sunday, but she said she was sticking to her game plan. It is nice to see Michelle playing good golf again.

Lexi will be hard to beat if she putts well. She just demolishes 5 pars !

Reaction Score
I like that Michelle Wie is having success with her unorthodox putting technique.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I saw that report also.

I could not believe it ! No deep rough.
My wife and I played Pne Needles the week following the last LPGA, U.S. Open and you would not have believed the rough ! You could drop a ball at your feet, and it would disappear.
It was fun though, to play U.S. Open set-up !

I watched Lexi and Michelle. Lexi won that first major because she was blowing the ball by everyone off the tee, and keeping it in the Fairway, and also putting well for a change. I heard the announcers question why Michelle did not hit more drivers on Sunday, but she said she was sticking to her game plan. It is nice to see Michelle playing good golf again.

Lexi will be hard to beat if she putts well. She just demolishes 5 pars !

If memory serves, Michelle shot a 71 on Sunday, which tied for the 4th-best round of the day. Normally, if you were tied for the lead Sunday morning, and shot one of the 4 or 5 best rounds of the day, you'd feel pretty good about your chances. Problem was, Lexi was tied for the lead too, and she shot the best round of the day! I really feel this was a tourney that Lexi just flat-out won - and, as you say, she was long and aggressive, with success.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Well...Lydia turned 17 recently and won the LPGA event that ended on Sunday....over world #3 Stacy Lewis.
The kid has won 3 LPGA tourneys....this is her first as a pro.

Great start for the tour! Ko, Wie, Thompson, Lewis...should be a wonderful rivalry for years to come.

Next up....for sizzle factor: get Lorena Ochoa [and Annika Sorenstam] to come back on the tour even if only part-time.
Ochoa would be in her prime...Annika a bit past it but I bet she would win a time or two with her usual focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom