OT: Geno | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In fact I didn't. It was more a question of not writing an essay.

A poor black man and a poor Italian immigrant walk in for a job in 1955. The problem the black guy has is not the previous 400 years. The problem he has is that his skin is black and most white people in that day were racists. He's as qualified (if not more) than the Italian who doesn't speak English. The problem is that the boss doesn't want to hire a black guy.

The problem that I have with your logic, and those who present your argument, is that you say things like 400 year head start, but you don't say exactly what that means in terms of the here and now.

If two men walk in for a job in 2012 and they're the same candidate except for skin color, all that is going to affect the choice is racism. Not history.

So the 400 number is thrown around as if to imply that we need a few hundred more years of affirmative action racism to make it all equal.

But that argument suggests something that isn't true - that the Italian immigrant somehow has some sort of accrued benefit that the black man doesn't. Nonsense. He has only his skin color.

The solution to that is to pass laws that make it illegal to hire based on race. Those laws exist.

So what's left? The notion that "400 years" of slavery have caused some sort of what? Economic divide? Nah. There are many more poor white people in America than poor black people. That can't be it. Then what?

Culture? Ahah! Is that what you're suggesting? That 400 years of slavery have created a lasting cultural impact that causes black failure?

But, if that's the case, then 40 years of AA have not solved the problem. In fact, black culture since 1950 has taken a tremendously destructive turn for the worse.

So what exactly is your argument? How, exactly, have 400 years of slavery led to the horrific condition of blacks in this country? And, given that the first 40 years of AA have been a miserable failure, why is it that you expect another 40 years to produce a different result?

I love MLK - a true intellectual giant in American history. But I'll offer a quote from another ethnic minority for you - "to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different result is the definition of stupidity."

Ultimately, I believe welfare and AA are incredibly destructive. The information we have from the last 40 years surely supports that.

Wow.
I have no intention of perpetuating this debate much further, this is (was?) after all a thread about HCGA .
The amount of wishful thinking reflected in your post speaks volumes. To suggest that because now there's legislation to counter racism, and somehow that SHOULD be sufficient is once again, a very simplistic approach to a complex problem. Not to mention the why/how there was ever a NEED for such laws, and what the human cost was to finally have them enacted.
Its like seeing a homeless person and telling them to "get a job", without having any clue as to why/how they ended up where they are. I have a friend who looks at want-ads & wonders why "those people" can't find work. His conclusion is the simplistic one...they must be "lazy". Right, all neat & wrapped in a bow.
If the world was as uncomplicated as you seem to think it is, we would all be in a much better place. Unfortunately, that is simply not the case. There's alot of gray in the black and white prism that you seem to have enacted for yourself.
Peace.

Reaction Score
Ugh Hmm, where does Geno fit in with all of this?

Classic railroaded thread.

Sorry for my part in this. But sometimes you just have to respond, lest some ridiculousness goes unchallenged.

Reaction Score
If you really dont think that a white immigrant in the fifties had a leg up on every African-American alive, then I dont know what to tell you.

I think the real problem us that youre implying this woman didn't work just as hard to get her job. You dont know that.

But you seem more than ready to assume that.

I wonder why that is.
FYI, its not the 50s anymore.

Reaction Score
Wow.
I have no intention of perpetuating this debate much further, this is (was?) after all a thread about HCGA .
The amount of wishful thinking reflected in your post speaks volumes. To suggest that because now there's legislation to counter racism, and somehow that SHOULD be sufficient is once again, a very simplistic approach to a complex problem. Not to mention the why/how there was ever a NEED for such laws, and what the human cost was to finally have them enacted.
Its like seeing a homeless person and telling them to "get a job", without having any clue as to why/how they ended up where they are. I have a friend who looks at want-ads & wonders why "those people" can't find work. His conclusion is the simplistic one...they must be "lazy". Right, all neat & wrapped in a bow.
If the world was as uncomplicated as you seem to think it is, we would all be in a much better place. Unfortunately, that is simply not the case. There's alot of gray in the black and white prism that you seem to have enacted for yourself.
Peace.
Classic case of using a lot of words but actually saying nothing. Well done.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
She lost her job on the USA Women's basketball security detail, that's how.
What she did was vengeful lying and slander (if Geno is innocent), not just sour grapes.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
She lost her job on the USA Women's basketball security detail, that's how.
She did not lose her job, she is still employed by the NBA. She was reassigned, and I doubt the reassignment cost her a dime in salary.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Just saw her at the half guiding Wade away from the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just saw her at the half guiding Wade away from the camera.
Hardwick never lost her job with the NBA and in fact, she's part of Stern's personal security force. Her complaint is that the NBA didn't assign her to guard WNBA players at the Olympics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hardwick never lost her job with the NBA and in fact, she's part of Stern's personal security force. Her complaint is that the NBA didn't assign her to guard WNBA players at the Olympics.

No loss in pay. Still holding a prominent position. Does she have any damages? Does this thing survive summary judgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom