OT: General knowledge test #399A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #399A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
For those traveling to Florida, we in Mickey Mouse land are proud to announce that our cold spell ends today.
If you aren't traveling, this can fill up your time.

It's a n0-no to research or reprint questions.

1..The Prez's nominee for Civil Rights Head, Debo Adegbile, spent 9 years on a TV show(?).

2.."And man must have his mate. On this you can rely."

3..Why did America turn off to Chas. Lindbergh?

4..Bob Dylan's cowboy movie?

5..Largest city on the Baltic?

6..Explain how Yankee Stadium is "the house that Ruth built".

7..Which college just won its 3rd consecutive FCS(football) title?

8..The tomb of the Patriarchs, resting place of Abraham, Sarah et al. is in what city?

9..Only one planet(?) has not enough atmosphere to produce wind.

10..Which novelist has characters named Virgil Flowers and Lucas Davenport?

11..Who will headline this year's Superbowl halftime show?

12..Both polls have this 15-0 wcbb team at 24.

13..When he wasn't part of "Nick & Nora Charles", he played this guy. Then 2 decades later so did David Niven.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
2. "the fundamental rules apply, as time goes by".
3. Because he expressed some sympathy/support for Hitler/Nazi Germany, particularly before the US's full entry into WWII.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
6. After the Yankees traded for Babe Ruth, their attendance soared, giving them the money to build Yankee Stadium. Also, they designed the stadium with a short right field fence so that Ruth would hit lots of home runs (that worked out pretty well also for Gehrig, Maris, Reggie Jackson and others). I guess that's what you mean.
13. William Powell played the title role in the movie My Man Godfrey, co-starring Carole Lombard. David Niven starred in a remake.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
6. After the Yankees traded for Babe Ruth, their attendance soared, giving them the money to build Yankee Stadium. Also, they designed the stadium with a short right field fence so that Ruth would hit lots of home runs (that worked out pretty well also for Gehrig, Maris, Reggie Jackson and others). I guess that's what you mean.
13. William Powell played the title role in the movie My Man Godfrey, co-starring Carole Lombard. David Niven starred in a remake.

Yes, rbny, but there's more to the story prior to the building, involving the Giants owner.

Reaction Score
4 It was a Billy the Kid movie from the early 70's Dylan had a
supporting role
9 I would have said Mercury but your question mark makes me think it's Pluto,
10 John Sanford
12 San Diego or Indiana I'll go with San Diego

Reaction Score
Yes, rbny, but there's more to the story prior to the building, involving the Giants owner.
The Yankees played at the Polo Grounds (The home of the NY baseball Giants) for a number of years. The Giants were not happy with this situation and told the Yankees to get out asap.

(On edit) The Yankees did not outdraw the Giants while playing at the Polo Grounds until after they acquired Ruth

Last edited:

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
2. Play it again. (Ilsa never said, "Play it a again, Sam."). As time goes by.
3. He became a communist sympathizer.
5. Riga
6. The Yankees sucked. Couldn't get anyone to come to games. After they bought the Babe, it coincided with their dominance and they began filling their new stadium.
7. North Dakota State

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
7. One of the Dakotas. North I think. Well they won this year, so I guess they've won the last couple?? (per your question anyway - who knew?)
8. Hebron? Didn't he buy a "burial plot" and bury a bunch of his kin there?
11. Unfortunately it's Bruno Mars (yuck). Well maybe I can get my wife to watch some of the "game" before and after she watches halftime.

Reaction Score
1. Sesame Street
3. He was a hypocrite of grand proportion.
6. Ruth's popularity was such that the Yankees would outdraw the other tenants of the Polo Grounds, the New York Giants, creating unrelenting friction. This made it possible and necessary for the Yankees to build their own bigger stadium across the Harlem River in the Bronx.
9. Mercury
13. The Thin Man

Reaction Score
2. Play it again. (Ilsa never said, "Play it a again, Sam."). As time goes by.
3. He became a communist sympathizer.
5. Riga
6. The Yankees sucked. Couldn't get anyone to come to games. After they bought the Babe, it coincided with their dominance and they began filling their new stadium.
7. North Dakota State

No. 6 is factually inaccurate. In 1919, the year before the Yankees traded for Ruth, they finished 3rd with a 80-59 record and were also 3rd in attendance in the AL.
In the year before, 1918, the Yankees came in second in the AL in attendance. What is true is the attendance jumped way up (doubled) after acquiring Ruth and they finished first in attendance in the AL in 13 of the next 14 seasons.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
3 - a lot of folks beating around the bush accurately I think. IIRC, Lindbergh was an isolationist, wanting to keep the US out of global affairs, such as WWII. A piece of that would obviously be that he didn't have a hatred of Nazi Germany (he might have met with Hitler?) and whoever mentioned Communism, I think that came later, too. Or my memory could be completely faulty.

Reaction Score
3) He was a Nazi sympathizer?
5) Leningrad?
6) Fans came to see Ruth play, which sold a lot of tickets, which helped pay the construction bills.
9) Mercury

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
4. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - That's where Knockin' On Heaven's Door came from.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..VAUC knows he was a child actor on Sesame Street.

2..A classic song from bygone years, As Time Goes By. Geordi & Pinot wondering where their lives went.

3..It was the Nazi sympathy that alienated the country. He once proposed that a triumvirate of
Germany, England & the U.S. should act vs. inferior nations. Pinot, rob & Knights pointing in that direction.

4..Waquoit's got the title.

5..Geordi specifies Riga, on the eastern shore.

6..See VAUC or sleep for the Yankees excommunication from the Polo Grounds.

7..Meyers makes a wonderous leap in logic with N. Dakota State. Geordi, not bothering with logic, just goes right to the heart of the matter.

8..Meyers again with the city of Hebron.

9..No wind chill on Mercury, known by sleep, rob & VAUC.

10..John Sandford is provided by sleep.

11..Meyers is bummed as he announces Bruno Mars.

12..Indiana now has a loss. Sleep is OK with San Diego.

13..Rbny scores with My Man Godfrey. David Niven's partner was June Allyson.

Collectively you could not have done any better on Part A. Take a bow, uniformly, naturally.

Reaction Score
1..VAUC knows he was a child actor on Sesame Street.

2..A classic song from bygone years, As Time Goes By. Geordi & Pinot wondering where their lives went.

3..It was the Nazi sympathy that alienated the country. He once proposed that a triumvirate of
Germany, England & the U.S. should act vs. inferior nations. Pinot, rob & Knights pointing in that direction.

4..Waquoit's got the title.

5..Geordi specifies Riga, on the eastern shore.

6..See VAUC or sleep for the Yankees excommunication from the Polo Grounds.

7..Meyers makes a wonderous leap in logic with N. Dakota State. Geordi, not bothering with logic, just goes right to the heart of the matter.

8..Meyers again with the city of Hebron.

9..No wind chill on Mercury, known by sleep, rob & VAUC.

10..John Sandford is provided by sleep.

11..Meyers is bummed as he announces Bruno Mars.

12..Indiana now has a loss. Sleep is OK with San Diego.

13..Rbny scores with My Man Godfrey. David Niven's partner was June Allyson.

Collectively you could not have done any better on Part A. Take a bow, uniformly, naturally.

Respectfully disagree with #5). Your original question was "largest city on the Baltic", which I took to mean the largest city on the Baltic sea, not the largest city in the Baltic states. My answer "Leningrad" (or St Petersburg, if you prefer) was correct. Both Riga and Leningrad are on the Baltic sea, by way of the Gulf of Riga and the Gulf of Finland, but St Petersburg is 4 or 5 times larger.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree with #5). Your original question was "largest city on the Baltic", which I took to mean the largest city on the Baltic sea, not the largest city in the Baltic states. My answer "Leningrad" (or St Petersburg, if you prefer) was correct. Both Riga and Leningrad are on the Baltic sea, by way of the Gulf of Riga and the Gulf of Finland, but St Petersburg is 4 or 5 times larger.[/quot

But, but Rob, there's no disagreement, when a question can be interpreted in 2 ways.
There ain't no good guys;
There ain't no bad guys.
There's just you and me,
And now I need to pee.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads