OT: Gavin Griffiths Question | The Boneyard

OT: Gavin Griffiths Question

Reaction Score
I was disappointed when Gavin picked Rutgers over us based on his ranking and what I read About his game. I expected him to be a lights out shooter. Based on his first year at Rutgers he is not shooting well at all. Currently he is shooting 24% from three and 56% on free throws. According to 247 he was recruit #20. Did anyone here watch him in high school or can anyone shed any light on his struggles so far? I know his is a freshman but …..

Reaction Score
I asked about him recently and I guess Rutgers' offense is one of the worst in the country and no one can create looks for Griffiths. He can't create his own offense and their stuff doesn't create open looks either, so he's kinda screwed. Plus some freshman jitters or growing pains or whatever, he just can't throw the ball in the ocean right now.

Their fans think their elite incoming recruiting class will make a big difference for Griffiths next year.

He really would have been a perfect fit for our system. Ah, well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I asked about him recently and I guess Rutgers' offense is one of the worst in the country and no one can create looks for Griffiths. He can't create his own offense and their stuff doesn't create open looks either, so he's kinda screwed. Plus some freshman jitters or growing pains or whatever, he just can't throw the ball in the ocean right now.

Their fans think their elite incoming recruiting class will make a big difference for Griffiths next year.

He really would have been a perfect fit for our system. Ah, well.
Won't he have three more years of eligibility?

Reaction Score
I was disappointed when Gavin picked Rutgers over us based on his ranking and what I read About his game. I expected him to be a lights out shooter. Based on his first year at Rutgers he is not shooting well at all. Currently he is shooting 24% from three and 56% on free throws. According to 247 he was recruit #20. Did anyone here watch him in high school or can anyone shed any light on his struggles so far? I know his is a freshman but …..
He’s a freshman in a terribly run offense but he’ll improve

Reaction Score
Saw him in HS at Simsbury. Lights out shooter. Disappointed he didn't go to UConn. Maybe he would be a canadate for portal next year.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I can see us grabbing him if he hits the portal. We‘ll need a bigger guard/wing perimeter piece next year. Maybe Danny can teach him to defend.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He's a tricky one. Super streaky... 7 games with >50% from 3 and 14 games shooting 0% from 3.
I think Hurley can make him consistent. Really struggles defensively needs To add weight.

Reaction Score
I guess that coaching relationship wasn't all that....
Seems like an absolute mess over there - bizarre situation. Entire existing team in the portal with two top recruits coming in. I am assuming (hoping for their sake) they have a bag and are just going to go portaling to fill in the roster around those guys? That is a LOT of guys to go out and compete to get though. I wonder if those recruit's commitments are in jeopardy?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never made much sense for him fit wise to go there, so it’s not surprising at all. This has been hinted at for awhile. Career probably would’ve gotten off to a better start had he chosen Creighton or Iowa. Curious if UConn gets involved here. They have a lot of flexibility on where they can go roster wise & who they’ll target.

Reaction Score
Rutgers sold their soul for two one and dones next season. Need more than that to build a winning program.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Rutgers sold their soul for two one and dones next season. Need more than that to build a winning program.
To be fair, it's not like Rutgers' soul had any real value to begin with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom