OT - Gas Grill Recommendations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Gas Grill Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I also own a Weber Genesis. Check PC Richard as I got a killer deal on mine. I mean, I paid like 350 bucks for it after haggling with them on price for about an hour. This was about 3 years ago however.

To be honest, I haggle with PC Richard on everything that I buy there. Their flexibility is most likely the reason why I keep coming back.
I never realized you could do that there. Good to know for the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the feedback. I passed along it all with the wife and after she looked at the prices for the Genesis she said hell no. So unfortunately that's out. However, she did say that she thinks a Weber is the way to go and the E-210 or E-310 may be the route we go. Just a quick follow up question. What's the real difference between a 2 burner vs a 3 burner? Is it just more space on the grill? I'm gonna head to Home Depot this week hopefully to check them out.

Thanks again all! Wasn't sure I'd be able to sell the wife to a Weber before I started the thread but it seems she's coming around! :D

The clear answer here is that you need to buy Fishy's Weber.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You can also scan craigslist and pick up used ones at a nice discount. 3 burners make indirect cooking easier, as you can heat one section of the grill and put the meat off to the side to roast instead of burning the crap out of it. The webers (and any good gas or charcoal grill) can be used as an outdoor oven.

I also have a Weber kettle for when gas just isn't the right choice. Did my turkey on it last 2 Thanksgivings.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We bought one 11 years ago when we bought our house and it's in perfect shape. Every five years or so, you replace some of the working bits and then it's perfect.

I'm actually annoyed by it - I want to buy a bigger one with side burners, but cannot justify replacing something that works.
That's where I was until last summer, after 15+ years with the one we bought when we bought our first house. Then the grease trap area finally rusted beyond repair. I put a few minutes of thought into jury-rigging a coat hanger or some wire, then I realized I finally had the excuse I was looking for to get a newer, bigger one. I went with the Genesis E-330 with side burner and sear station.

And after dismissing the side burners for years as unnecessary, they are good to have if the power goes out.

Someone mentioned that the enamel is easier to clean than stainless steel and that is true (and they are also less expensive). There is a somewhat rare enamel option in a light grey color that looks a lot like stainless steel and that's the one we went with. It looks great and we get lots of compliments on it. Just be careful if you happen to be raking your roof directly above it like I did a month ago, when a 50+ lb. chunk of an ice dam landed smack in the center of the top and gave it one helluva dent that has now become a conversation piece in and of itself...

Reaction Score
I used to work at Lowe's and by far the most popular grill they sold was the Weber Genesis series. They're good value and will last you a long time. They're a B**ch to put together though. So if you can have them assemble it.

Reaction Score
My wife has given me the green light to replace our 8 year old $99 gas grill with an upgraded version.

So I thought I'd ask everyone here for some recommendations and brands to look for. Just to set some of the limits I'm working with: my price max is likely $500 or so and we have a family of 4 and use the grill a lot in all seasons, if possible. I know I'm not gonna get top of the line and I'm ok with that. I'm really trying to find a decent grill that's a good size and good value. Not wanting to be cheap but we have a strapped budget and the grill is gonna be a joint gift from our families so we know we have to work within a price range.

Any suggestions would be great. I've been reading some reviews but I'd love to hear from your experiences.

Thanks!!
I had my Weber 7 years when the cross tube broke. I called Weber and since I had registered my grill when I bought it they said it was under warranty and sent me a new one. Enough said

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had my Weber 7 years when the cross tube broke. I called Weber and since I had registered my grill when I bought it they said it was under warranty and sent me a new one. Enough said
To add to the Weber customer support props, I was replacing some of the burner tubes and other parts on my old Weber Genesis very early in the morning (like 6:00 a.m.) several years ago and couldn't figure out a part of the instructions because they simply didn't make sense. I got on the Weber website and called the customer support number and was initially disappointed when I heard a distinctly Indian accent, thinking I'd never get what I was looking for. Much to my surprise, the customer service rep processed my issue very quickly and determined within a matter of a minute or two that the instructions were defective and had been replaced with an update that I apparently hadn't received. He asked me for my e-mail and within another minute he sent me a pdf containing the update explaining exactly what I needed. I was done with my repair by 7:00 a.m., hours before the store from which I purchased it even opened.

Reaction Score
Have a Weber Silver B. Among the best things I ever bought. An Energizer Bunny.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's where I was until last summer, after 15+ years with the one we bought when we bought our first house. Then the grease trap area finally rusted beyond repair. I put a few minutes of thought into jury-rigging a coat hanger or some wire, then I realized I finally had the excuse I was looking for to get a newer, bigger one. I went with the Genesis E-330 with side burner and sear station.

And after dismissing the side burners for years as unnecessary, they are good to have if the power goes out.

I'm going to check the grease trap tomorrow and pray for rust. I'm afraid I won't find any.

I didn't even think about side burners when I bought this one and I regret it. We use the grill four or five times a week year round - if it snows, the grill gets shoveled out before the driveway. Doesn't matter what it is, we've found a way to cook it on grill - I hate that I need the stove for burners.

One more tip - overspend and get a proper, heavyweight grill cover.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One more tip - overspend and get a proper, heavyweight grill cover.
I've had the accompanying Weber cover for each grill, but I didn't get it for the first one until a couple years in when my brother-in-law told me it was essential, so I may have had some premature rust.

Nothing except a steel cage--or intelligence on my part--would have prevented the dent in my new one, but thankfully it's only external and doesn't affect its operation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The clear answer here is that you need to buy Fishy's Weber.

You don't even need to buy it - just steal it off my deck.

You can leave the spatulas, but if that's a deal-breaker, just take them, too.

I need a grill with a sear station. Not sure how I made it this far without one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You don't even need to buy it - just steal it off my deck.

You can leave the spatulas, but if that's a deal-breaker, just take them, too.

I need a grill with a sear station. Not sure how I made it this far without one.
They got grills with sear stations? Not that a good steak needs searing but...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
To add to the Weber customer support props, I was replacing some of the burner tubes and other parts on my old Weber Genesis very early in the morning (like 6:00 a.m.) several years ago and couldn't figure out a part of the instructions because they simply didn't make sense. I got on the Weber website and called the customer support number and was initially disappointed when I heard a distinctly Indian accent, thinking I'd never get what I was looking for. Much to my surprise, the customer service rep processed my issue very quickly and determined within a matter of a minute or two that the instructions were defective and had been replaced with an update that I apparently hadn't received. He asked me for my e-mail and within another minute he sent me a pdf containing the update explaining exactly what I needed. I was done with my repair by 7:00 a.m., hours before the store from which I purchased it even opened.
Was that Kapil? He is the best.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm a charcoal guy, have a Weber charcoal grill big enough to cook a small cow on. I'll vouch for a Weber too... before that I had a Char-Broil Gas grill it disintegrated after 3 or 4 years... even with a nice grill cover. The Weber is 6-7 years old and looks brand new.

My dad had a Weber that spent 15 years at the shore, at a beach cottage, exposed to blowing sand, and tons of salt. It still was in great condition when he sold the place.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the feedback. I passed along it all with the wife and after she looked at the prices for the Genesis she said hell no. So unfortunately that's out. However, she did say that she thinks a Weber is the way to go and the E-210 or E-310 may be the route we go. Just a quick follow up question. What's the real difference between a 2 burner vs a 3 burner? Is it just more space on the grill? I'm gonna head to Home Depot this week hopefully to check them out.

Thanks again all! Wasn't sure I'd be able to sell the wife to a Weber before I started the thread but it seems she's coming around! :D

2 things...

check the prices online...you might get a better deal than HD....I bought my Weber online a few years ago and saved a chunk of change compared to store prices....but i had to assemble it

get the 3 burners....The hotter the better for searing steaks...i bought the 4 burner genesis and glad i did

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wife bought me a Weber Spirit 310 for Fathers' Day. Had to get rid of the old Char-Broil box of rust before I could start putting it together (My grill literally char broiled itself!!). We've already decided it will come into the garage before winter starts. I always intend to grill over the winter, but then 23" of snow falls and I can't get to the freaking thing anyway.

Reaction Score
Wife bought me a Weber Spirit 310 for Fathers' Day. Had to get rid of the old Char-Broil box of rust before I could start putting it together (My grill literally char broiled itself!!). We've already decided it will come into the garage before winter starts. I always intend to grill over the winter, but then 23" of snow falls and I can't get to the freaking thing anyway.

The first path I dig after a winter storm is to the grill :)

Reaction Score
Just replaced the handle on my Genesis silver. Still cranking 14 years in!

Reaction Score
2 things...

check the prices online...you might get a better deal than HD....I bought my Weber online a few years ago and saved a chunk of change compared to store prices....but i had to assemble it

get the 3 burners....The hotter the better for searing steaks...i bought the 4 burner genesis and glad i did

4 burner here too..great for searing your steak. I also got the smoker attachment. Comes with a smaller grill so it fits. Great smoked chicken and ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom