OT Game of Thrones | The Boneyard

OT Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curious if anyone read the book or watches the show. Next will be the game of shows. Since they are going to catch up to where he is in the books without a doubt. What does the HBO show do? From what I could gather book 6 is maybe 2016 if lucky and 7 is 2018/2019. Not to mention books 4/5 were a drop off in excitement from book 3 which is currently airing. I am pretty sure they could go thru books 4/5 in 1 season and that might be pushing it. Plus how long after the books are released are the shows aired. LOL either the show watchers or the book readers are going to get screwed.

Reaction Score
Ya, it's either this season or next where they'll catch up with the last completed book. I've heard the release for 6 is expected to be late '15, and that is an estimation. From what I've read about him, the author is supposedly a notoriously slow writer, so who knows when it will be finished.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
It's hard to watch this season. There are so many characters and so many fragmented snippets of scenes that I'm starting to lose who is who. I have no idea why Stanis was burning those people but I'm sure someone who has read the book can tell me. We're jumping from scene to scene so fast, at lightning quick pace, that I'm losing the storyline. And losing interest. Luckily the king died to rekindle the flame a little bit.

I read the books and I agree that they seem to be jumping around very quickly this season. I could see it being very confusing for someone that has not read them.

Basically, Stannis and the Red Priestess were burning those people to gain favor from their god on the journey they were about to take. I'm pretty sure they revealed where they are going at the end of last season, but just in case I am remembering incorrectly I won't say. You will find out soon enough.

One of the people being burned was related to Stannis wife Selyse. I'm not sure this was done exactly the same as in the book, but basically the guy either betrayed Stannis or refused to follow the Lord of Light. He did something to piss Stannis off.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
To answer the OP question - I dont see how GRRM ever finishes the books before the show is done. He just takes too much time. I believe his original intention was to release book 5 one year after book 4 came out since he more or less wrote them at the same time. In the end, it actually ended up taking 5 or 6 more years for book 5 to come out.

I think this season (season 4) will cover the end of book 3 and a portion of book 4. Season 5 should finish book 4 and possibly book 5. There are rumors that they could start getting into book 6 at the end of next season even though that book isn't out yet.

The only thing I can think of to not screw this up is to film the final season and keep it under wraps until after the last book comes out.

Reaction Score
Good article in Vanity Fair about the issue of the show catching up to the books. It sounds like they have the situation under control. The bigger issue is the young actors growing up.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I read the books and I agree that they seem to be jumping around very quickly this season. I could see it being very confusing for someone that has not read them.

Basically, Stannis and the Red Priestess were burning those people to gain favor from their god on the journey they were about to take. I'm pretty sure they revealed where they are going at the end of last season, but just in case I am remembering incorrectly I won't say. You will find out soon enough.

One of the people being burned was related to Stannis wife Selyse. I'm not sure this was done exactly the same as in the book, but basically the guy either betrayed Stannis or refused to follow the Lord of Light. He did something to piss Stannis off.

The person you are talking about Is Lord Florent, former hand to Stannis. He was caught trying to negotiate a truce behind Stannis' back, at least in the books.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
To answer the OP question - I dont see how GRRM ever finishes the books before the show is done. He just takes too much time. I believe his original intention was to release book 5 one year after book 4 came out since he more or less wrote them at the same time. In the end, it actually ended up taking 5 or 6 more years for book 5 to come out.

I think this season (season 4) will cover the end of book 3 and a portion of book 4. Season 5 should finish book 4 and possibly book 5. There are rumors that they could start getting into book 6 at the end of next season even though that book isn't out yet.

The only thing I can think of to not screw this up is to film the final season and keep it under wraps until after the last book comes out.

After this season, books 4 and 5 should be done concurrently as they happen at the same time. Book 4 dealt with certain characters and the first 2/3 of book 5 dealt the others. Very hard to replicate that in the shows and still have the same effect.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kids - if you go to the entertainment board, we're always talking about GOT.

Take a gander...the more, the merrier.

Reaction Score
Found this on www.goodread.com.

"The Winds of Winter is the forthcoming sixth novel in the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

The previous installment, A Dance with Dragons, covered less story than Martin intended, omitting at least one planned large battle sequence and leaving several character threads ending in cliffhangers. Martin intends to resolve these cliffhangers "very early" in The Winds of Winter, saying "I'm going to open with the two big battles that I was building up to, the battle in the ice and the battle at Meereen—the battle of Slaver's Bay. And then take it from there."
Hardcover, 704 pages
Expected publication: January 1st 2015 by HarperVoyagerfound this from

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Found this on www.goodread.com.

"The Winds of Winter is the forthcoming sixth novel in the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

The previous installment, A Dance with Dragons, covered less story than Martin intended, omitting at least one planned large battle sequence and leaving several character threads ending in cliffhangers. Martin intends to resolve these cliffhangers "very early" in The Winds of Winter, saying "I'm going to open with the two big battles that I was building up to, the battle in the ice and the battle at Meereen—the battle of Slaver's Bay. And then take it from there."
Hardcover, 704 pages
Expected publication: January 1st 2015 by HarperVoyagerfound this from

There are books? LOL. 704 pgs? Oh dear. Do like the show on HBO and wish they'd show more Khalesi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom