OT - Four athletes who got retirement right. | The Boneyard

OT - Four athletes who got retirement right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I imagine the hardest thing is to retire and walk away from what you love, and from the concomitant adulation, even if your work product is clearly not as good as it once was, whether you are Frank Sinatra, the subject of another current post, or superstars Willie Mays and Warren Spahn, who stayed around too long in baseball. Here are four professional athletes who come to mind, who retired while on top:

Heavyweight boxer Rocky Marciano. After knocking out nine of his last ten opponents (the only one who lasted was KO’d in a rematch), and with no challenging opponents on the horizon, in 1955 Rocky retired 49-0 at age 32.

Dodger pitcher Sandy Koufax. Following a 27-9 1.73 ERA 300+ Ks, Cy Young award winning season Sandy, on advice of physicians, walked away in 1966 at age 30.

Browns running back Jim Brown. After completing his second best rushing season ever, leading the NFL in rushing again, for the eighth time in nine years, Jim packed it in in 1964 at age 29 for a movie career.

Tennis player Steffi Graf. In 1999, after winning the French Open and making the Wimbledon final that year, Steffi decided that it wasn’t fun anymore, and retired at 30.

Are there others?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I believe Rod Carew managed his retirement as best he could And won a big chunk of change as to assuage the sting of a perceived forced retirement. As far as his playing went, I don't believe he left too early or too late.

Otherwise, Bill Russell. Period.

Reaction Score
Brett Favre just kidding :D

For real though
Michael Strahan
Bill Russell
Ken Dryden
Lenox Lewis

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I imagine the hardest thing is to retire and walk away from what you love, and from the concomitant adulation, even if your work product is clearly not as good as it once was,

Roger Goodell

Reaction Score
Oh-then you've seen his movies?
Not very nice Oldie !! But it was a movie he was working on that was going to make him very late to camp, that helped him decide to retire.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Sandy Koufax doesn't really belong in this category. He didn't have a choice in ending his career.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with Jim Brown - he retired WAY too early

I don't know- I think he timed it right. I remember his last regular season game against the Rams. The Rams were not very good so the Browns were trying to get him enough yardage to reach the 1000 yrd level which Jim had done almost ? his entire career. He reached a thousand and one yards on his second to last carry. But then on his last carry he was dropped for a loss that put him back under a thousand for the game with no time left. He was still a good back but his skills were starting to erode. He could have played a few more seasons but I think that last carry was a portend of his future in the league. Better to go out on top.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Sandy Koufax doesn't really belong in this category. He didn't have a choice in ending his career.
Yes, as noted, "on the advice of physicians." He was one of the rare ones who actually listened to his physicians. He didn't ride his golden left arm for a few more risky but well-paid seasons. Jim Otto, for example, kept playing center in the NFL until he had virtually no cartilage in his knees, and many footballers despite dire predictions about concussions, continue to play. Look at poor Muhammed Ali. Sandy was smart.

Reaction Score
I imagine the hardest thing is to retire and walk away from what you love, and from the concomitant adulation, even if your work product is clearly not as good as it once was, whether you are Frank Sinatra, the subject of another current post, or superstars Willie Mays and Warren Spahn, who stayed around too long in baseball. Here are four professional athletes who come to mind, who retired while on top:

Heavyweight boxer Rocky Marciano. After knocking out nine of his last ten opponents (the only one who lasted was KO’d in a rematch), and with no challenging opponents on the horizon, in 1955 Rocky retired 49-0 at age 32.

Dodger pitcher Sandy Koufax. Following a 27-9 1.73 ERA 300+ Ks, Cy Young award winning season Sandy, on advice of physicians, walked away in 1966 at age 30.

Browns running back Jim Brown. After completing his second best rushing season ever, leading the NFL in rushing again, for the eighth time in nine years, Jim packed it in in 1964 at age 29 for a movie career.

Tennis player Steffi Graf. In 1999, after winning the French Open and making the Wimbledon final that year, Steffi decided that it wasn’t fun anymore, and retired at 30.

Are there others?

How about Senator Bill Bradley??? Two great retirements.

Reaction Score
\

I think we'd all be surprised on the number of those who retire voluntarily, but had no choice--medical or otherwise. What is to be seen isn't alway visible!!

Reaction Score
Here are four professional athletes who come to mind, who retired while on top:

Heavyweight boxer Rocky Marciano.
Dodger pitcher Sandy Koufax.
Browns running back Jim Brown.
Tennis player Steffi Graf.

Are there others?
John Elway

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Barry Sanders and Tiki Barber had very good seasons and retired with gas left in the tank.
Female golfers Lorena Ochoa and Annika Sorenstam .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom