OT Food: Anyone got a good teriyaki sauce recipe? | The Boneyard

OT Food: Anyone got a good teriyaki sauce recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Most of the recipes I find have way too much sweetener. I try to reduce the amount of sugar but then it's kinda bland. Anyone got a good recipe that had a nice mixture of sweet, salty and spicy?

Reaction Score
I think all Teriyaki sauce is very sweet and some are saltier than others, but never seen anything spicy.
I guess you can reduce sugar and increase little more soy sauce make it saltier.
Also adding some Jalapeno or Habanero(much hotter than Jalapeno) when you heat the ingredients will make it spicy.
Did you ever use this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombu

Reaction Score
Our "secret" Teriyaki recipe... Not too sweet at all.

1.5 cups of Soy Sauce (Kikkoman Naturally Brewed preferred)
2/3 cup of water
1/4 cup Sake (if no Sake, 50-50 combination of Rice Wine Vinegar & Vodka making 1/4 cup).
1 tbs Brown Sugar
4-5 gloves of Garlic (crushed)
1 tbs freshly graded Ginger, including the juices. (No dried Ginger)
2 tbs of Peanut Oil (Or other neutral oil - Canola, Veggie Oil. Olive Oil is too strong)
Mix everything together.
Test taste to see if it's to your liking.
Marinate -
If thicker cuts of meat (ie whole chicken) several hours.
If thinner cuts of meat, no more than 30 minutes.

You can also freeze it in a Ziploc brand for future use. We do this when we go camping.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I suggest go to the Stonewall Kitchen site. (Fantastic specialty foods from Maine.) They have four flavored teriyaki sauces: sesame ginger, sriracha, garlic, and citrus.

I swear by their products, especially barbecue ketchup and bourbon-pecan-caramel dessert topping.

Reaction Score
Our "secret" Teriyaki recipe... Not too sweet at all.

1.5 cups of Soy Sauce (Kikkoman Naturally Brewed preferred)
2/3 cup of water
1/4 cup Sake (if no Sake, 50-50 combination of Rice Wine Vinegar & Vodka making 1/4 cup).
1 tbs Brown Sugar
4-5 gloves of Garlic (crushed)
1 tbs freshly graded Ginger, including the juices. (No dried Ginger)
2 tbs of Peanut Oil (Or other neutral oil - Canola, Veggie Oil. Olive Oil is too strong)
Mix everything together.
Test taste to see if it's to your liking.
Marinate -
If thicker cuts of meat (ie whole chicken) several hours.
If thinner cuts of meat, no more than 30 minutes.

You can also freeze it in a Ziploc brand for future use. We do this when we go camping.
Sounds very similar to the recipe my mother used, which I don't have because my sister took all the recipes when Mom passed. Sis was the cook, not me so I am not bitter...much. My mother had a syringe that she would use to inject the teriyaki sauce into the steak. Just marinating wasn't good enough. She used to work at a drug store and they would give her some syringes for the asking. That was before the days that syringes could only be dispensed with a prescription. I have never had teriyaki steak as good as my mom's.

T

TroyHouse66

Ahoy from Honolulu, Nan
Here is a basic local recipe I started with several versions ago...
I thought it a bit too sweet & tinkered with it, with good results.
Modifications...
Use a standard soy (local brand is Aloha Shoyu)... raising the salt tends to balance the other tastes. Kikkoman and other Japanese style may, however, be too salty. Balance!!
Halve the brown sugar to 3T and increase the honey to remain sweet, but not abruptly so. We use coconut palm sugar, an unrefined brown sugar, here... any Thai markets nearby?
Fresh ginger!! (I do nickel-size slices instead of cubes... more surface area exposed)
Marinate meats, over night, refrigerated, in zip locked bags.
Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 3 Cups Water
  • Fresh Ginger Peeled and Cubed (~ 1" cube cut into quarters)
  • 6 T Brown Sugar
  • 6 T Honey
  • 3 t Corn Starch
  • 3 t Water (to mix with corn starch as a thickening agent)
Directions
  1. Put the soy sauce, 3 cups water, ginger into a medium pan over high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a gentle boil. Add the half the brown sugar and half the honey, and mix in.
  2. Mix the corn starch and 3 t water together until dissolved. Mix this into the soy sauce mixture, still keeping it at a gentle boil. Add the remaining sugar and honey. Continue boiling until it's been reduced by about 20%, then cool, remove from heat, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
  3. The final sauce will ve a sweet and thick teriyaki sauce with hints of ginger, in the Hawaiian style of teriyaki.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
This is the one I use. It's from Steve Raichlen's "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades". The recipe is proportioned as a marinade. I also use it as a sauce by reducing it until it thickens and then straining out the chunks. As a variation you can add a cup of orange or tangerine juice, It's great for grilled chicken.

1/2 cup tamari - you can substitute regular soy sauce but it is a bit saltier
1/2 cup mirin
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dark sesame oil
3 cloves garlic - smashed
4 thin slices of fresh ginger - smashed
3 scallions - smashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online