OT: Favorite Low Major? | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Low Major?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier and wondered if anyone else had a bottom-tier team they had a soft spot for. I've always felt a special affinity towards UVM - obviously because of the Cuse upset, but seeing fellow E.O. alum Ethan O'Day play well for them has added a new layer of interest. Curious as to where the rest of you are at.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
UC-Irvine only because I got lost once driving through there campus

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Marist.

In 2007, went 25-9, beat Okie State in the NIT....

And have gone like 50-150 since.

Reaction Score
Marist.

Rick Smits went to Marist in the late 80's. Before my time for following cbb but I believe they were decent then too. He was drafted very high. Not so much coming lately from the hot bed of the Hudson Valley.

Like UVM though. Wish Brennan was still coaching them. I try to catch a game up in Btown now and then.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier and wondered if anyone else had a bottom-tier team they had a soft spot for. I've always felt a special affinity towards UVM - obviously because of the Cuse upset, but seeing fellow E.O. alum Ethan O'Day play well for them has added a new layer of interest. Curious as to where the rest of you are at.
The first school that comes to mind when thinking of bottom-tier teams is BC. I would be lying however if I claimed to have a soft spot for them.

Reaction Score
Providence and UMass in a tie. They have cutesy fans who are still waiting for Joe Mullaney and John Calipari to come back. That's precious!

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac. local team. UCONN guy head coach. They do not realize they are low
Quinnipiac. local team. Tom Moore is a Uconn guy. they think they are a mid major, but no ncaa's makes them a low major.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rick Smits went to Marist in the late 80's. Before my time for following cbb but I believe they were decent then too. He was drafted very high. Not so much coming lately from the hot bed of the Hudson Valley.

They were good back then - they actually made it to the NCAA tourney in '86 and '87.

There were some moderate shenanigans going on in terms of Marist's overseas recruiting, but for a while, Marist might have been the only team at any level that could roll out three legit seven-footers every night - Smits, Miroslav Pecarski and Rudy Bourgarel. Bourgarel's specialty was getting the ball in transition and then taking seven steps before dunking while the refs shook their heads. His kid is Rudy Gobert, center for the Jazz.

Reaction Score
Providence. 2nd cousin played for them from 02-06 when I was growing up.

Reaction Score
CCSU, their 06-07 squad was fun as hell to watch. Of course they've sucked bone since

Reaction Score
Yale. Still can't believe they missed the NCAA tournament this past season.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Marist.

That was Hartford product (and my friend) Jared Jordan's SR year and second time leading the nation in assists. He put up 17.2pts, 5.9reb and 8.7ast and was drafted by the Clippers, then traded to the Knicks but never found a spot on either roster. Spent time in Germany, Greece and now Spain.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Easy. Central Connecticut State.

Reaction Score
Spent last weekend in Burlington. Really fun little city. Already looking forward to going back for a UConn-UVM hockey game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom