ot: duke is reloading | The Boneyard

ot: duke is reloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
K + one and done talent = everyone else's nightmare.

People need to realize this is the new trend of college basketball, and will in the next 5 years create a new class of about 5 programs that will be consistently on a level above the rest of the nation. I think with Ollie UConn can be one of those schools.

Reaction Score
K + one and done talent = everyone else's nightmare.

People need to realize this is the new trend of college basketball, and will in the next 5 years create a new class of about 5 programs that will be consistently on a level above the rest of the nation. I think with Ollie UConn can be one of those schools.

This is not a new thing.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
This is not a new thing.
The NBA enacted the one year minimum rule in 2004. Around 2006/7 Calipari at Memphis was the first one to really incorporate it into his programs philosophy and system. It was still early and a work in progress but it wasn't a full blown system until around 2010 when he got to UK, also around the time Self at KU got into the game. Now in 2014/15 we see Coach K, Cal and Self all-in on the process. Guys like Crean and Alford/whoever has the reins at UCLA at any given time playing the game wth one foot in and one foot out. It's obviously not new, but I'd say it's only been recently where it's really taken shape as a system. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mullins start to play the game too.

Reaction Score
The NBA enacted the one year minimum rule in 2004. Around 2006/7 Calipari at Memphis was the first one to really incorporate it into his programs philosophy and system. It was still early and a work in progress but it wasn't a full blown system until around 2010 when he got to UK, also around the time Self at KU got into the game. Now in 2014/15 we see Coach K, Cal and Self all-in on the process. Guys like Crean and Alford/whoever has the reins at UCLA at any given time playing the game wth one foot in and one foot out. It's obviously not new, but I'd say it's only been recently where it's really taken shape as a system. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mullins start to play the game too.

There is no "game" to be played. I don't understand why people keep saying this. A "full blown system"? Every year there are a couple kids who are clearly not going to be in college for more than a year. Some programs get those kids, most don't. That's about the extent of it.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
There is no "game" to be played. I don't understand why people keep saying this. A "full blown system"? Every year there are a couple kids who are clearly not going to be in college for more than a year. Some programs get those kids, most don't. That's about the extent of it.
I disagree. Programs are learning to use a rule which was a real gamble in the past (either the player was stud Rose, Wall) or he was a flop and cost the coach time in recruiting. Now coaches are learning to incorporate a number of scholarships each year for these guys. This way they have a mix of glue guys who bring seniority and leadership, as well as the elite NBA athleticism and talent of the one and domes each year to supplement what they lose to the draft. Keeps you competitive each year in the regular season without excessive rebuilding periods and basically helps snowball recruiting as you develop a strong NBA pipeline that recruits will flock too.

Reaction Score

I would argue the opposite. Only so many coaches can recruit that way because there are only so many one and dones to go around. I think to the extent that it seemed like Cal was hording all of them was simply because he was so much better at recruiting than everyone else. Incidentally, this past season may have hurt more than helped on the recruiting trail - high school recruits don't want to be hearing about platoon systems.

If it now turns out that K, Self, Mullins, Alford, and Crean are all in on the one and done, just to use your example, well then they're all going to beat the hell out of each other and they will have to fill out the rest of their rosters with other guys. Cal at one time had that market cornered, now, we're not so sure.

Self, BTW, has struggled to win with rosters consisting of one and done kids at the same level he did before. All of this stuff is cyclical, but I don't think what's happening now is any sort of balance-altering shift.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
They pick up two kids within 30 days of the title. One with strong ties to UNC, their misfortune, the other reclassified for them. Anyone remember how our 30 days after 2014 title went? A turtle & a prince.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I would argue the opposite. Only so many coaches can recruit that way because there are only so many one and dones to go around. I think to the extent that it seemed like Cal was hording all of them was simply because he was so much better at recruiting than everyone else. Incidentally, this past season may have hurt more than helped on the recruiting trail - high school recruits don't want to be hearing about platoon systems.

If it now turns out that K, Self, Mullins, Alford, and Crean are all in on the one and done, just to use your example, well then they're all going to beat the hell out of each other and they will have to fill out the rest of their rosters with other guys. Cal at one time had that market cornered, now, we're not so sure.

Self, BTW, has struggled to win with rosters consisting of one and done kids at the same level he did before. All of this stuff is cyclical, but I don't think what's happening now is any sort of balance-altering shift.
I agree, that's why I said 5 or so programs will stand out from the rest. There aren't enough one and domes each year for much more to use this program effectively. But once they have established that reputation of getting guys to their destination (NBA) the recruiting will do itself, and with a system in place to replace lost talent each year it won't be as much as a loss for them when they inevitably lose these guys.

Reaction Score
Uconn has been all in on one and done for some time . IMO they should let guys enter the league out of hs, one guy coming up who clearly has no business in college is josh jackson

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Ingram is a lot less physically mature than Winslow was. He's not as ready to impact the game on the defensive end IMO. Still, obviously a great get and he can fill it. They'll be good again this year, but their inside scoring is going to take a big hit and that should be detrimental to their guards.

Reaction Score
With the departure of okafor , this duke team will still resemble the Jabari Parker team IMO . Lots of struggles defensively

Reaction Score
Ingram is a lot less physically mature than Winslow was. He's not as ready to impact the game on the defensive end IMO. Still, obviously a great get and he can fill it. They'll be good again this year, but their inside scoring is going to take a big hit and that should be detrimental to their guards.
He is the lankiest kid I've ever seen. His limbs are like twigs. With that being said, if he can add any type of muscle, he has All-Star potential

Reaction Score
The last time we played dook, we played them close for most of the game until the refs let Jalil have his way with Brimah and those tick tack fouls. I'm convinced the KO is a very good defensive coach and given some offensive interchangeable players, KO will get the better of coach K

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Uconn has been all in on one and done for some time . IMO they should let guys enter the league out of hs, one guy coming up who clearly has no business in college is josh jackson
UConn most certainly has NOT been "all in" on one and dones.

Reaction Score

You're right, because we haven't really gotten traction after offering guys like Rabb, Trier, Zimmerman, Diallo, Newman, Ingram, Maker, Jackson, Tatum, Done. Briscoe, etc. Not recruiting one and done kids certainly isn't for a lack of trying

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Maybe not all in but we've tried to get some of the one and dones and have made extremely good use of the graduate transfer program to fill in experienced players, which is an alternative to the freshman one and dones). At the end of the day sometimes it works and sometimes not. I think most people who rail against it are just jealous.

Reaction Score
We've certainly offered plenty of potential one and dones. The other programs of our caliber just offer more exposure at this point. It pains me to say this but if your agenda is to showcase your talents for the one year the NBA forces you to spend in college Duke,Kentucky, Kansas, etc. are clearly better options from a competitive and exposure stand point than UConn.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
We've certainly offered plenty of potential one and dones. The other programs of our caliber just offer more exposure at this point. It pains me to say this but if your agenda is to showcase your talents for the one year the NBA forces you to spend in college Duke,Kentucky, Kansas, etc. are clearly better options from a competitive and exposure stand point than UConn.
Agree 100%, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
It pains me to say this but if your agenda is to showcase your talents for the one year the NBA forces you to spend in college Duke,Kentucky, Kansas, etc. are clearly better options from a competitive and exposure stand point than UConn.

So much for those 4 national titles since 1999. This is a sad day when you can say that about this program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not jealous of the one and done factories at all. I think every program should have one BUT I am against programs who cram so many onto their roster. It's just not good for the game or programs Here is a guy, K, who received accolades and relished the fact that he took kids, help them mature and grow as people and players. Now he looks to get as many as he can and pad the resume - not that he needs to. But then again this is a guy who demanded the season he hurt his back be washed from his record. Once a chooch always a chooch (my opinion).
Give me a bunch Bazz's, Freeman's, Okafor's (UConn's), etc - the guys who hang for at least 3 years.
I say if you want to stay only one year you play in Europe or in the NBA Dev (without pay)

Reaction Score
So much for those 4 national titles since 1999. This is a sad day when you can say that about this program.
Well lucky for us we've been able to win without the one and done. Securing the top recruits doesn't always equate to national championships but it does open the media love affair we see with Dook and -ucky

Reaction Score
Also lucky for us uconn has an nba coach coaching . Player development is a premium at uconn

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Squid's mantra lately has been to get the best kids and prime them for the NBA. If it works out that they can play together well enough to get an NC, great. If it doesn't, at least they'll be entertaining and likely make a deep run anyway. Calipari is on record with that ("succeed and proceed"). And he's created another event for ESPN. That kind of roster gets a lot of press (and book deals) and a lot of money flowing into UK and I see no reason K or Self wouldn't - or shouldn't - copy it.

Nor do I see UConn or KO having either the ability or desire to compete in that arena. IMO, things will continue to be done the "UConn Way", which has basically been focused on developing an excellent PG and a top shot-blocker and getting a bunch of 3-star guys who compliment those two and stay 3-4 years, giving us a good run with each succeeding class - not all that different from what Izzo has done.

I get a chuckle out of an NBA-first, team-second strategy having anything to do with UK (or Duke) "tradition", but if that's the way top programs are going to operate, then all we can do is admire the chutzpah of coaches/programs pursuing that strategy on one hand while decrying 4-year transfers on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom