OT: Ditching the land-line | The Boneyard

OT: Ditching the land-line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the wife wants to ditch our land line - however, I've heard that in certain emergencies the land line is the only guaranteed avenue of communication and cell phones can easily go down. Is this true, that it does offer more safety? While it doesn't cost a lot, we are to the point where we are not using it at all anymore and the only incoming stuff seems to be telemarketers (how they can call when we've been on the DNC list for the past decade+ is probably a topic for another thread).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Haven't had a land line in over 8 years, with never a problem. That includes Hurricane Irene with over 60 hours of no house power (used a car charger for both phones).

Reaction Score
Our problem is we can never find the land lines and the messages have been full for 3 years.

Reaction Score
I was thinking of ditching it also, but many times family calls us (not just me or her). How do 'no landline' people handle such instances?

Also who's number is used for banking and other joint business matters?

To add, we both are bad on passing on missed call nfo in a timely matter (sometimes forgetting all together).

Reaction Score
if you have a security service like ADT I believe you need a land line. I ditched my landline years ago, went with vonage for a few years then with verizon's bluetooth line, then we just finally got rid of that and just use cell phones

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We dumped the land line (Frontier raised it to 40 bucks a month and couldn't figure out how to retrieve voicemails), kept the number and bundled it with infinity cable/internet. infinity offered phone use for free just to upgrade our cable modem.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Relatives who only use a land line will have to adjust. For joint accounts we typically use the number of the person responsible for paying the liability, but have the other number as a secondary contact. It works out well.

Reaction Score
Ditched the land line 3 years ago with no problem. Have Verizon and was able too get the same # as the land line was so as not to have myself or anybody else learn new numbers.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about this. I really, really don't like our landline provider. Their bills are scammy as he77. They charge me 3 or 4 bucks a month to be unlisted. If I make ANY change, something else changes. One time, a rep from them tells me I can "upgrade my Internet to 7Mbs and it won't cost you anything." I ask, how is that? They say, "because it's a new plan we're offering." I stupidly say, "okay." Next month, bill goes up 20 dollars a month. I call in. What's going on? They say, "it looks like your free 2nd line offer just ended." WHAT? I say that's BS, the woman changed my "plan" and said nothing would be different but the DSL speed. They're not related sir. BS. I say put it back how it was. They say, no sir, can't do. I say, "then lower my DSL speed back down so my bill goes back down 20 a month." We can only go as low as 5MBs. What? Why? You gave me 2 or 3 for years.
Most recent one was this - my internet connection goes down every 1.5 hours or so, like clockwork, then comes back on. Screws up downloads, is irritating, and so on. Call them. You need a new modem. Okay, send me one and bill me. We don't do that anymore sir. Now you have to rent them from us for 7 dollars a month. WHAT? No thank you. I'll deal with the BS interruptions. Turns out later that my neighbors have the same 1.5 hour thing, so it wasn't my modem after all. The conspiracy theory in me wonders if they are intentionally making the connections crap so that people get rid of their paid-for modems and switch to the 1,000 dollars every 10 years modem.
/Rant.
I'm chomping at the bit to kill my landline. As I told my hard line company, "you're working really hard to push me away, and, as soon as I can, I will."
In sum - DO IT. I don't have enough knowledge to know whether a land line is somehow more stable in emergencies than a cell tower signal, but I'm not sure why that would be. And not sure the remote risk that it might present would be worth holding on to the phonosaurus.

Reaction Score
Only thing I have to add is that during 9-1-1 cell phones were useless for people trying to reassure loved ones. No one could get through.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I've had an internet phone (not actually a land line) for many years. No problems.
In the old days there was a concern about 911 calls not knowing which emergency center to go to. That was soled for cells and VOIP a long time ago. But if you live in the sticks, you might want to check.

When electricity or internet go out, we are stuck with only the 4 cell phones to call people.

Reaction Score
the wife wants to ditch our land line - however, I've heard that in certain emergencies the land line is the only guaranteed avenue of communication and cell phones can easily go down. Is this true, that it does offer more safety? While it doesn't cost a lot, we are to the point where we are not using it at all anymore and the only incoming stuff seems to be telemarketers (how they can call when we've been on the DNC list for the past decade+ is probably a topic for another thread).
I havent had a land line since about 2004 and cant think of a single instance where it was an issue even with power outages from some big storms.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Only thing I have to add is that during 9-1-1 cell phones were useless for people trying to reassure loved ones. No one could get through.

1) that was over 14 years ago.

2) only in New York.

3) all but one major antenna was on the tower that collapsed.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
1) that was over 14 years ago. 2) only in New York. 3) all but one major antenna was on the tower that collapsed.

My phone and many friends' phones were only getting out texts during the '13 boston marathon.

Reaction Score
I ditched the land line when I retired and no longer needed a fax line. It wasn't because of the cost: land line was only about $10-$15 a month in a Cox package. Nobody used it and most of the messages were from people selling something.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I have bundled cable, internet and phone through computer (Comcast). I am quite sick of rising cable TV rates
and if it weren't for UConn games I would have trimmed this back a lot or eliminated it. I am told that cell phones
are easily listened in on in the vicinity of where you are (neighborhood) while land lines including computer type
lines are secure. If I am conducting business from home which I often do and it is confidential I want that reassurance.
I am not sure if this is completely true so if anyone has some knowledge please advise. Also, do cell phones offer
conference call (at least three way)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA