OT: Cowherd leaving ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Cowherd leaving ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you've ever been to the DR, and left the resort, you'd know that they have had issues educating the population. When I was there about a decade ago, the president got elected by vowing to provide education to all children. When I asked a child who was asking to shine my sneakers for a dollar why he wasn't in school, he told me he had evening school, his classes started at 2pm.

His comments were insensitive, but they struck me as coming from someone who has been there and traveled off the resort.
Nobody needs to travel to the Dominican to know there are serious socioeconomic and educational problems.

You're failing to realize that he's unnecessarily belittling an entire people to make a point, or to realize that that is wrong. Either way.... it's a little concerning.

Reaction Score
Apparently they kicked him out for certain comments regarding Dominican baseball players. FS1 is picking him up. What a stupid f-cking thing for him to say

Cowherd said Thursday that he didn't believe baseball was complex, saying a third of the sport was from the Dominican Republic, which had ''not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-says-cowherd-owes-dominicans-apology-remarks-185453392--mlb.html
He said this after the announcement was made about him leaving. Completely unrelated. I also don't understand what is so terrible about saying that a country that has a history of underfunded and underperforming education, doesn't have great education. Perhaps the way he delivered the message was clunky and lazy, but it's not racism, as the blogs are calling it.

Reaction Score
Nobody needs to travel to the Dominican to know there are serious socioeconomic and educational problems.

You're failing to realize that he's unnecessarily belittling an entire people to make a point, or to realize that that is wrong. Either way.... it's a little concerning.
You're right. He shouldn't have said it, just feel too much is made when people say something insensitive.

Reaction Score
I liked Simmons, Cowherd (especially when he was on SportsNation), and SVP because they all spoke their mind. Yeah their opinions may have pissed me off occasionally, but I still enjoyed listening to them.

Reaction Score
Even if there are elements of truth to what he said about Dominican's educational opportunities, there are things now that can't be said regarding race and ethnicity. Hulk Hogan was let go by WWE for a clip uncovered from years ago in which black friends called him the N word and he joked back to them, he meant nothing at all by it but the world's press brings to light and jumps on everything nowadays. The Latin population is a large, strong element and consumer group in society and companies don't want to lose them. Wonder if Colin gets another gig after this? My bet is eventually with a bigger apology.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jay Bilas was basically alone in calling out how ridiculous the APR nonsense was. This was when the rest of the college basketball media almost to a person was swallowing the premise that UConn was deficient in the classroom and stood alone as some kind of symbol of all that is wrong with college athletics. Bilas was having none of it. For that, he deserves no end of thanks.
he also went on espn when uconn won in 2011 and defended calhoun, he's neutral and hates the ncaa... i love bilas even though some things every once in awhile i disagree with

Reaction Score
Apparently they kicked him out for certain comments regarding Dominican baseball players. FS1 is picking him up. What a stupid f-cking thing for him to say

Cowherd said Thursday that he didn't believe baseball was complex, saying a third of the sport was from the Dominican Republic, which had ''not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-says-cowherd-owes-dominicans-apology-remarks-185453392--mlb.html
ESPN needs to get off its high horse. What they aren't mentioning is that his last scheduled on air show was next Friday. So they are cutting him a week early. If they were so sensitive to what their on-air talent was saying, they would have let Stephen A. walk a long time ago. Instead, he keeps being an idiot and they extended him at 3mil per.

Reaction Score
This isn't about racism.
This is about corporatism.
The developing PC of the last 40 years has been more about corporatism than correctness - at least outside of academia and politics. The common thread among all of these cases is the preservation of income. Cowherd is more of a tw@t than ever, but the comment in question was really a generic comment that "Baseball can't be complicated because people from countries with horrible education systems play it just fine." He used the DR as an obvious example, because they have so many players in MLB, but there was no contextual implication that he was picking on that one ethnicity, and, further, there is no contextual implication that he was making an ethic/racial argument that Dominicans are stupid.
His follow up sentence is critical:
The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.
He lays out very clearly that he's not making a genetic argument - "come from rough backgrounds and have not had the opportunities . . . ." Can't be any clearer than that. He's saying the DR schools suck, they produce poorly educated kids, those kids go on to play MLB baseball, they do fine, ergo playing MLB baseball does not require a good education, ergo playing MLB is not complicated. The logic is poor, but it's not racist or xenophobic.
This is about money, which is what much of PC code is now. ESPN doesn't want to lose any viewers, CC was on his way out anyway, so the very easy call was to fire him. Makes ESPN - a soulless corporation formed exclusively and explicitly to profiteer - appear to have some sort of social conscience.
PC in politics is about electability and preservation of power.
PC in academia is about thought control and entrenchment of ideology.
PC everywhere else is about maximization of profit.
PC does not exist where it can do none of the above, and that's why NASCAR hasn't yet banned the confederate flag - because it would hurt the bottom line. If it would help the bottom line, they'd ban the flags in a nano-second and put out some PC tripe about "inclusivity" and the "values" of NASCAR.
I'm not sure why anybody is surprised anymore when somebody gets suspended/axed for ho-hum language that some group or another finds offensive according to one or more alleged representatives of that group or another. It's not about the content of the indicted speech. It's not about the belief structure held by the person enunciating the indicted speech.
It's about the power/ideology/money that's impacted by the speech, which means this is an effect-driven phenomenon, not a sensitivity-driven phenomenon.
Hogan getting fired for comments made 8 years ago in a private conversation is just the latest iteration of effect-driven "correctness."

Reaction Score
UConn990411 said:
Not here to defend Cowherd, who's generally horrible. But it's interesting to see who ESPN seems to be showing the door to. More specifically, they seem to be getting rid of their most opinionated talent, probably since those employees are most likely to ruffle the NFL's feathers. It's a shame to see what's happened to what used to be a truly great company. But I'm enjoying watching them struggle.

I would imagine to some extent it is money. Radio revenues are flattish to down mostly and top talent wants to be paid more every time they re-up. Key guys get paid. There are always other factors involved also, but if he was actually killing his day part they probably would have worked things out (not necessarily after this latest thing but before he signed with Fox).

Reaction Score
I would imagine to some extent it is money. Radio revenues are flattish to down mostly and top talent wants to be paid more every time they re-up. Key guys get paid. There are always other factors involved also, but if he was actually killing his day part they probably would have worked things out (not necessarily after this latest thing but before he signed with Fox).
Money's the convenient excuse for ESPN. They want fewer people who will force them to answer to Goodell and co.

Reaction Score
UConn990411 said:
Money's the convenient excuse for ESPN. They want fewer people who will force them to answer to Goodell and co.

When you have to cut costs, you look to two things:

1) where the costs are
2) taking out people that either won't hurt to take out or that you were thinking about taking out anyway

Reaction Score
ESPN needs to get off its high horse. What they aren't mentioning is that his last scheduled on air show was next Friday. So they are cutting him a week early. If they were so sensitive to what their on-air talent was saying, they would have let Stephen A. walk a long time ago. Instead, he keeps being an idiot and they extended him at 3mil per.
Not even close to comparable comments.

Reaction Score
TasteofUConn said:
PC does not exist where it can do none of the above, and that's why NASCAR hasn't yet banned the confederate flag - because it would hurt the bottom line. If it would help the bottom line, they'd ban the flags in a nano-second and put out some PC tripe about "inclusivity" and the "values" of NASCAR.

The NASCAR thing has already happened, Frank. Cool lecture though.

And as a long winded, pseudo-intellectual rant premised on factually incorrect statements, it's a perfect homage to Colin Cowherd.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This is a classic espn move actually. Just working the PR thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
When you have to cut costs, you look to two things:

1) where the costs are
2) taking out people that either won't hurt to take out or that you were thinking about taking out anyway

Money is definitely a big part of it. Look at the guys who left: Simmons, Cowherd, SVP in a reduced role. Those guys represent big outlays of cash for single individuals. ESPN is very cookie cutter now anyway, so you can plug and play people at will (using lower cost 'talent').

Reaction Score
Even if there are elements of truth to what he said about Dominican's educational opportunities, there are things now that can't be said regarding race and ethnicity. Hulk Hogan was let go by WWE for a clip uncovered from years ago in which black friends called him the N word and he joked back to them, he meant nothing at all by it but the world's press brings to light and jumps on everything nowadays. The Latin population is a large, strong element and consumer group in society and companies don't want to lose them. Wonder if Colin gets another gig after this? My bet is eventually with a bigger apology.

You didn't even bother to try to get the Hogan story right, stop watching Fox News

Reaction Score
You didn't even bother to try to get the Hogan story right, stop watching Fox News
Saw another clip online of him joking on an interview where he used the N word that I was referring to. I don't watch Fox News, but there was another clip that I did not see until later that was pretty bad. Is he really a racist? Is Donald Trump? Is Cowherd? Who the hell knows. His brain has been fried by decades of steroid use and he's a cartoon character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom