OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
Shenny used to be more of a true links course before the land swap with Pfizer. Pfizer gave the town the 15,16 and 17 property near the water for Shenny's old 5,6 and 7, now a parking lot. 5 and 7 were par 5s. Number 7 was the old number 10. Also in order to speed up play a number of fairway bunkers were filled and the fescue is kept low. They let the grasses grow to celebrate a milestone anniversery and such. If you want to play the course as it was intended, the best bet would be to book a tee time around the Connecticut Senior Open date. Its been played there the last few years and the guys rave about it. Doggie mentioned that you have to hit over the road on number 1. Well, an errant tee shot can hit the road and its curb at just the right spot to send the ball high and backward necessitating the player to yell Fore!!! to the other golfers practicing on the putting green. Not going to tell you how I know this.

Reaction Score
Any of you MA folks play Taconic GC? It's a pretty penny no doubt but it's a world class club and if you guys ever want to treat yourselves its a a classic, definitely one of the best in New England. Semi Private but tee times are def available.

Reaction Score
Most underrated in WestMass: Westover

Most overrated in Westmass: your home grown Oak Ridge

I live about 3 minutes from Oak Ridge and play it maybe once a year or once every 2 years......not a fan. Too many outings and long rounds over the years plus it's pretty boring........Westover is a nice course and a nice long layout......can have 5 hours of hell there too but t is nice......another is The Ledges in South Hadley, a fun course although it has some ridiculous holes...great value though........The Orchards is nice too if you can get on it!!

An up n'comer due to the hard work of EJ and his staff is Tekoa........the greens are some of the best in WesMass now and are rolling beautiful......as he fills in the areas that need it this will be a gem in 2-3 more years!!

As for Matt I have hear Taconic is beautiful but haven't had the chance to play it yet but would love to....anyone who has puts it right up there asp one of the best in Mass........

Reaction Score
Blackledge is a nice track. I play at Rockledge and while it is still slow, it is getting better.

Reaction Score
Blackledge is a nice track. I play at Rockledge and while it is still slow, it is getting better.

I don't mind Blackledge but actually think the Gilead track is more fun minus the idiotic 12th hole..........

But in that area Tallwood is king......

Reaction Score
Nice thing about Blackledge are the deals on golfnow.com. Can always find cheap deals during the week. Great course for the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Interestingly, I've played all but 2 of these. Here are my quick comments on each.
1. Red Tail – Probably the best of the bunch and one of my top favorites in New England. Pricey but worth it.
2. The Ranch – Another terrific layout but the McMansions on it detract from its beauty. Pricey – over $100
3. Pine Hills – Nicklaus – Not played.
4. Pine Hills – Jones Played it many years ago and liked it.
5. Highland – In Maine. Not played yet.
6. Miacomet-- On Nantucket. Nice track. If you can wrangle an invite, play Nantucket Golf Club-awesome but a veerrry private blue-blood place.
7. Crestview – In Agawam. Decent course, but nothing special.
8. Blackstone National – Great course.
9. Crumpin Fox – Great layout but the conditioning hasn’t been up to snuff the last few years
10. Shaker Hills – Superb, second only to Red Tail in Massachusetts.
11. Belgrade Lakes – Fabulous course but way up in Maine
12. Dunesgrass – Another Maine course – not worth the drive
13. Waverly Oaks – Great course in Plymouth
14. Fox Hopyard – Sister course to Crumpin-Fox. Excellent.
15. Granite Links – I’ve only played two of the three nines but they were great. Near Boston.
16. Lake of Isles – North - PGA caliber course. In the $135 range but unforgettable.
17. Great River – One of the top three courses in Connecticut. $100 or so and worth it.
18. Wintonbury Hills – Links style course in Bloomfield. Decent layout and the Pete Dye greens are lots of fun.
19. Oxford Greens – Fun and challenging despite the overabundance of houses on the course.
20. Shennecosset – Skip it
21. Richter Park – Fun but very difficult course in Danbury. Too tough for a 15 handicapper.
22. Gillette Ridge – Decent course though I hear the upkeep is not up to par recently.
23. Fairview Farm – Very nice layout in Harwinton
If you want to play locally (Hartford area) and cost is not an issue, Fox Hopyard and Lake of Isles are my recommendations. Fairview Farms is under $50 if cost matters. If you don’t mind traveling and paying in the $80-100 range, I’d go with Red Tail, Shaker Hills, Butterbrook or Blackstone National, all in Massachusetts. For less expensive courses in Massachusetts, I’d recommend Kettle Brook, Highfields or Shining Rock.
Hit 'em straight!

Reaction Score
Still expensive but I got an $84 rate for Lake of Isles tomorrow. Probably too early in the season for my game but whhat the heck no work tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, I've played all but 2 of these. Here are my quick comments on each.
1. Red Tail – Probably the best of the bunch and one of my top favorites in New England. Pricey but worth it.
2. The Ranch – Another terrific layout but the McMansions on it detract from its beauty. Pricey – over $100
3. Pine Hills – Nicklaus – Not played.
4. Pine Hills – Jones Played it many years ago and liked it.
5. Highland – In Maine. Not played yet.
6. Miacomet-- On Nantucket. Nice track. If you can wrangle an invite, play Nantucket Golf Club-awesome but a veerrry private blue-blood place.
7. Crestview – In Agawam. Decent course, but nothing special.
8. Blackstone National – Great course.
9. Crumpin Fox – Great layout but the conditioning hasn’t been up to snuff the last few years
10. Shaker Hills – Superb, second only to Red Tail in Massachusetts.
11. Belgrade Lakes – Fabulous course but way up in Maine
12. Dunesgrass – Another Maine course – not worth the drive
13. Waverly Oaks – Great course in Plymouth
14. Fox Hopyard – Sister course to Crumpin-Fox. Excellent.
15. Granite Links – I’ve only played two of the three nines but they were great. Near Boston.
16. Lake of Isles – North - PGA caliber course. In the $135 range but unforgettable.
17. Great River – One of the top three courses in Connecticut. $100 or so and worth it.
18. Wintonbury Hills – Links style course in Bloomfield. Decent layout and the Pete Dye greens are lots of fun.
19. Oxford Greens – Fun and challenging despite the overabundance of houses on the course.
20. Shennecosset – Skip it
21. Richter Park – Fun but very difficult course in Danbury. Too tough for a 15 handicapper.
22. Gillette Ridge – Decent course though I hear the upkeep is not up to par recently.
23. Fairview Farm – Very nice layout in Harwinton
If you want to play locally (Hartford area) and cost is not an issue, Fox Hopyard and Lake of Isles are my recommendations. Fairview Farms is under $50 if cost matters. If you don’t mind traveling and paying in the $80-100 range, I’d go with Red Tail, Shaker Hills, Butterbrook or Blackstone National, all in Massachusetts. For less expensive courses in Massachusetts, I’d recommend Kettle Brook, Highfields or Shining Rock.
Hit 'em straight!

Where's Butterbrook, Highfields and Shining Rock? Thanks for the run through good stuff..........agreed on most of them for sure!!

Reaction Score
Where's Butterbrook, Highfields and Shining Rock? Thanks for the run through good stuff..........agreed on most of them for sure!!

Highfields (Grafton) and Shining Rock (Northbridge) are both near Worcester. Butterbrook (Westford) is closer to Lowell.

Reaction Score
Highfields (Grafton) and Shining Rock (Northbridge) are both near Worcester. Butterbrook (Westford) is closer to Lowell.

Thanks give me the best of the bunch as I will not get to all of them.........living in Feeding Hills Northbridge and Grafton are a bit closer no doubt........

Reaction Score
I would rate them all about even but my preference in order would be Shining Rock, Butterbrook, then Highfields. But all are terrific.

Reaction Score
I would rate them all about even but my preference in order would be Shining Rock, Butterbrook, then Highfields. But all are terrific.
I would put Shinning Rock at the bottom of these 3. I do not get why people like this course. Some interesting holes I guess, but I find the layout to be awkward and there are just some bad holes. Very science and well maintained though.

Big fan of Butterbrook.

Reaction Score
Man, this thread makes me wanna start playing golf again, but I haven't played since I was like 13. I'm 32 now, so I think I should pretty much give up and start trying to get good at something important, like video games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Played Fairview Farms today. Played okay for an old fart. Fairways very good. Greens had been aerated a few weeks ago and were still showing it. They were very hard to read and control speed because they varied so much.

Has anyone played Shattuck in Jaffrey,NH? The most total target golf around. Haven't been in a few years. They used to give you a sleeve of balls. Years before, they would give you a dozen or so used balls. Miss the fairway and lose the ball in the swampy stuff. One of my golf pals loves it. I find losing a sure 10 or so balls not all that much fun. Every hole is separated from every other hole. Interesting for a diversion from a regular round.

Reaction Score
I would put Shinning Rock at the bottom of these 3. I do not get why people like this course.

Well for me it's pretty simple, I played a lot better there. That always seems to color one's opinions, doesn't it? :)

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Played Fairview Farms today. Played okay for an old fart. Fairways very good. Greens had been aerated a few weeks ago and were still showing it. They were very hard to read and control speed because they varied so much.

Has anyone played Shattuck in Jaffrey,NH? The most total target golf around. Haven't been in a few years. They used to give you a sleeve of balls. Years before, they would give you a dozen or so used balls. Miss the fairway and lose the ball in the swampy stuff. One of my golf pals loves it. I find losing a sure 10 or so balls not all that much fun. Every hole is separated from every other hole. Interesting for a diversion from a regular round.

Spot on. Shattuck is Very picturesque as well, with Monadnock in the background and all. They've had their share of management issues though over the years, and recent reports on conditioning have not been kind.

Reaction Score
A point missing in this thread is a review of quality shunkies on the back nine. Info that is truly useful.

Reaction Score

Fairview is a fun course, always in very nice shape. Great clubhouse (not bar though) with the deck.......a couple holes you can drive and some you can take a chance on. Not a fan of #16 or #17 (fairly easy but have to hit 7 or 8 iron to the bottom) and used to hate 18 until they filled in and cut the area over the wall.......all in all though a good value.

PLayed Shattuck years ago myself when they were giving a sleeve of balls away, needed them all too........just bring your straight game and it's fun, some real picturesque holes and scenery but some real tough one's too, almost too penal......fun every once in a while when you want to lose confidence in your game LOL

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Fairview is a fun course, always in very nice shape. Great clubhouse (not bar though) with the deck.......a couple holes you can drive and some you can take a chance on. Not a fan of #16 or #17 (fairly easy but have to hit 7 or 8 iron to the bottom) and used to hate 18 until they filled in and cut the area over the wall.......all in all though a good value.

PLayed Shattuck years ago myself when they were giving a sleeve of balls away, needed them all too........just bring your straight game and it's fun, some real picturesque holes and scenery but some real tough one's too, almost too penal......fun every once in a while when you want to lose confidence in your game LOL

I am no longer at an age where driving a par 4 is an option. I think my longest yesterday was in the 250 range. Now, the par 3s, that's another story.:cool: Funny thing is, my driving was pretty good all day. Might have kept lost balls to a minimum at Shattuck. Somehow, when I've played there, my swing seems to think the the object is to hit Swamp Thing on the head.

Reaction Score
I am no longer at an age where driving a par 4 is an option. I think my longest yesterday was in the 250 range. Now, the par 3s, that's another story.:cool: Funny thing is, my driving was pretty good all day. Might have kept lost balls to a minimum at Shattuck. Somehow, when I've played there, my swing seems to think the the object is to hit Swamp Thing on the head.

Well me too maybe an occasional good turn can get me a few more than that......#8 I have gotten there, blues were mid tee, all the way back no shot.......and have driven #14 a few times because it plays short when you cut the corner.....#1 you have to have it running hard and the course playing hard........have gotten it close but never on....drivable for the young guys! LOL

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Played Keney for $13 Saturday.

They have to be close to insolvent and closing. I have never played a course that was in such disrepair. There is essentially no grass on greens or tee boxes. They seem to have given up on mowing. Parking lot was empty and still took 5 hours because the groups in front of us were so bad and couldn't find a ball on a bet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom