OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
Heading to Charleston, SC in early July - Kiawah is out of the question and I've played Wild Dunes Links Course (beautiful track) before. Any other suggestions in the area that I should try while down there?
Shadowmoss in Charleston and RiverTowne in Mount Pleasant are great tracks at a reasonable rate. Avoid Patriots Point like the plague, they'll rush you to no end.

Reaction Score
Is it a golf course or a golf track? Do I have to run to the next hole on a golf track?

Reaction Score
Love Shuttle Meadow...my father is a member there so have played many times. Willie Park Jr design, same guy who did Olympia Fields out here in the Chicago area. Great course, they have a new Super within the last few years who has done a great job. Firm and fast but very fair, greens are outstanding. It's rarely crowded...my dad and I walked 18 as a twosome in under three hours last year.

http://www.courant.com/sports/golf/hc-local-golf-notebook-yantz-0604-20150603-story.html

Reaction Score
Love Shuttle Meadow...my father is a member there so have played many times. Willie Park Jr design, same guy who did Olympia Fields out here in the Chicago area. Great course, they have a new Super within the last few years who has done a great job. Firm and fast but very fair, greens are outstanding. It's rarely crowded...my dad and I walked 18 as a twosome in under three hours last year.

I am a huge fan of WP Jr. layouts. Shuttle Meadow, New Haven, Madison, 1/2 of Tumble Brook -- all great Willie Park courses in CT. His best is Maidstone in East Hampton, NY.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok, where are our urban golf courses? Looks pretty cool to me:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I am a huge fan of WP Jr. layouts. Shuttle Meadow, New Haven, Madison, 1/2 of Tumble Brook -- all great Willie Park courses in CT. His best is Maidstone in East Hampton, NY.

Then you'd appreciate Woodway in Darien too.

One of my favorite Park designs/collaborations is Atlantic City CC. And if you want to do a pilgrimage, Western Gailes in Scotland where he worked with Willie Sr. would be a must...

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Way out of the state boundary lines, but I just finished a business trip to the low country of South Carolina near Hilton Head. I had the opportunity to play the Legends Course on Parris Island. Best track? No. Most challenging? No. But the views of the water, the bayous and wildlife are fantastic and it's tough not to get choked up a bit and feel a little small when you are walking on hallowed ground.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Timberlin and "great"? Not bad ric but not close to great. Consistent public course in the Portland, Manchester, Blackledge manner but a little short of great. Shuttle Meadow is very nice though.

C'mon Mau...Based on course design/character-aesthetics/conditioning only, I'd rank CT publics as follows:

1. Lake of Isles - North
2. Great River
3. Wintonbury Hills
4. Fox Hopyard
5. Oxford Greens
6. Shennecosset
7. Woodbridge
8. Richter Park
9. Timberlin
10. Fairview Farm

Honorable Mention: Manchester, Simsbury Farms and Crestbrook

Haven't played CT Nat'l or Mohegan.

Reaction Score
C'mon Mau...Based on course design/character-aesthetics/conditioning only, I'd rank CT publics as follows:

1. Lake of Isles - North
2. Great River
3. Wintonbury Hills
4. Fox Hopyard
5. Oxford Greens
6. Shennecosset
7. Woodbridge
8. Richter Park
9. Timberlin
10. Fairview Farm

While I agree with some I would not even list Lake of Isles or Great River because their pricing is not in line with the others mentioned. I love golf, am not cheap but neither would make me play there rather than paying 70 at Wintonbury. I get the difference but that's not enough. Mohegan also is with those 2 - paying for name. It is vastly improved but not 125 worth. No doubt they're up there though as solid tracks.

But after Wintonbury, Hopyard, Fairview, CT National, Oxford Greens I couldn't even rate the others with them. The next level list for me is Quarry, Richter, Crestbrook/Watertown, maybe Shenny because of tradition but really overrated for me. Then a bunch of eh.. like courses like Timberlin, Manchester, Simsbury Farms, Cedar Knob, Rolling Meadows, Tunxis, Hunter, Blue Fox, Twin Hills and on and on. I haven't played Woodbridge since it was private and thought it was really nice but not great even then. It's been a while though so I will need to see it again. Chipanee is public now right - never played that either. Hop Meadow? Not that great but heard they may be semi-private now too.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
While I agree with some I would not even list Lake of Isles or Great River because their pricing is not in line with the others mentioned. I love golf, am not cheap but neither would make me play there rather than paying 70 at Wintonbury. I get the difference but that's not enough. Mohegan also is with those 2 - paying for name. It is vastly improved but not 125 worth. No doubt they're up there though as solid tracks.

But after Wintonbury, Hopyard, Fairview, CT National, Oxford Greens I couldn't even rate the others with them. The next level list for me is Quarry, Richter, Crestbrook/Watertown, maybe Shenny because of tradition but really overrated for me. Then a bunch of eh.. like courses like Timberlin, Manchester, Simsbury Farms, Cedar Knob, Rolling Meadows, Tunxis, Hunter, Blue Fox, Twin Hills and on and on. I haven't played Woodbridge since it was private and thought it was really nice but not great even then. It's been a while though so I will need to see it again. Chipanee is public now right - never played that either. Hop Meadow? Not that great but heard they may be semi-private now too.

Agree with the drop in class after the 1st 4 0r 5. Thought Hop is still totally private, but that'd be nice if they're open somewhat.

I'd like to see your list for WestMass. After Ranch, how do they fall? I particularly appreciate Crump, Crestview and Westover. I particularly hate Oak Ridge.

Any sense of whether the re-designed Hampden will be semi-public?

Reaction Score
Agree with the drop in class after the 1st 4 0r 5. Thought Hop is still totally private, but that'd be nice if they're open somewhat.

I'd like to see your list for WestMass. After Ranch, how do they fall? I particularly appreciate Crump, Crestview and Westover. I particularly hate Oak Ridge.

Any sense of whether the re-designed Hampden will be semi-public?

Funny I was just coming here to discuss WesMass/Mass in general. As far as WesMass only I agree on The Ranch and also on Oak Ridge. I live less than 2 miles from Oak Ridge and rarely play it, usually only in outings. Yeah after Ranch would be the Fox North, Westover, Crestview (not in love with it but it is good also just 5 minutes from the house), Waubeeka in Williamstown (hidden gem) and for semi's you can get on 2 beauties up there in Taconic and Waconah. Cranwell Resort os pretty solid too.

Hearing Hampden will be public but not sure - drove by quick in the spring it looks like it will be wonderful and they are taking their time to be sure it's ready. Cold Spring is a whacky layout but fun from what I hear, haven't been there yet but I believe it has 6 of each par 3's, 4's and 5's.

Price wise the next level has some great deals with the likes of Chicopee, Greenfield, St Annes, Tekoa, Franconia and Veterans/springfield muni's, Elmcrest (semi), Edgewood (if they get their crap together and get it back in shape - new owners ad pro), Ludlow (semi).

Then for another thread all of Mass - starting with Pine Hills (both nick and jones), Granite Links, Blackstone, Waverly and SO many others.

Reaction Score

1. Lake of Isles - North
2. Great River
3. Wintonbury Hills
4. Fox Hopyard
5. Oxford Greens
6. Shennecosset
7. Woodbridge
8. Richter Park
9. Timberlin
10. Fairview Farm

Played your whole list, except for Richter Park (been saying I should try that for 35 years). Can't believe you left off Lyman-Jones course. Back in the day it was special. Playing it tomorrow so I'll give an update... been years since I've played it.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Funny I was just coming here to discuss WesMass/Mass in general. As far as WesMass only I agree on The Ranch and also on Oak Ridge. I live less than 2 miles from Oak Ridge and rarely play it, usually only in outings. Yeah after Ranch would be the Fox North, Westover, Crestview (not in love with it but it is good also just 5 minutes from the house), Waubeeka in Williamstown (hidden gem) and for semi's you can get on 2 beauties up there in Taconic and Waconah. Cranwell Resort os pretty solid too.

Hearing Hampden will be public but not sure - drove by quick in the spring it looks like it will be wonderful and they are taking their time to be sure it's ready. Cold Spring is a whacky layout but fun from what I hear, haven't been there yet but I believe it has 6 of each par 3's, 4's and 5's.

Price wise the next level has some great deals with the likes of Chicopee, Greenfield, St Annes, Tekoa, Franconia and Veterans/springfield muni's, Elmcrest (semi), Edgewood (if they get their crap together and get it back in shape - new owners ad pro), Ludlow (semi).

Then for another thread all of Mass - starting with Pine Hills (both nick and jones), Granite Links, Blackstone, Waverly and SO many others.

What's left of Tekoa's old Ross holes are solid...

Surprised you left of Shaker...:eek:

Taconic is atop my to-do list.

Actually the Shaker in Harvard is solid, and Red Tail, layout-wise, might be top public in Mass...

Reaction Score
What's left of Tekoa's old Ross holes are solid...

Surprised you left of Shaker...:eek:

Taconic is atop my to-do list.

Actually the Shaker in Harvard is solid, and Red Tail, layout-wise, might be top public in Mass...

Geez forgot Red Tail......Top 2-3 in the state. Tekoa has a great pro, a fun group of guys and super greens, consistent shape and speed. As far as the lay out, eh, love the people I play with but the flatness and doglegs drive me nuts. We moved from Edgewood there 2 1/2 years ago, a few of us and there's a game every weekend day and 2 times a week $$$$ with plenty of guys in so that makes it excellent. As a player who draws it more the doglegs which swing opposite make it tough but I'm starting to figure it out. The pro is from my hometown and HS in Meriden and is a super guy, works his tail off. He does the greens himself every morning as well as hands on on all of their events and with their banquet rooms they throw a super outing or wedding.

As far as Shaker Farms in Westfield it's awful now. When I moved up here 25 years ago it was a really nice course always in premier shape but the last 78 years is as close to a sheep pasture as you can get. They made a tiny comeback last year but heard it was in dreadful shape early this year from a neighbor.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Played Tower Ridge for first time today. Never again. Hated it.

Other than giant 5 foot snake on 2nd tee... that was pretty cool.

Reaction Score
Played Tower Ridge for first time today. Never again. Hated it.

Other than giant 5 foot snake on 2nd tee... that was pretty cool.

I played in a work league for 7 years at Simsbury Farms. For a price cut, it moved to Tower Ridge and the league unanimously hated the course so much it disbanded the following year. That course sucks.

Reaction Score
I'm with you guys really despise the course (Tower Ridge) and it's numerous blind tee shots. Not at all a fan and won't play it again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The snake for what its worth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 84

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm with you guys really despise the course (Tower Ridge) and it's numerous blind tee shots. Not at all a fan and won't play it again.

Oh yeah most of the greens are totally dead as well. We bailed after 13 because the pace was so slow and the course is so dumb.

Reaction Score
I love playing there... it eats my lunch these days and is great for my handicap. One of the toughest stretches of holes, 4-8, anywhere. Plus they usually have good deals and it isn't that crowded.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with CT courses but I'm happy the US Open is being played on the west coast this year. With the NBA and NHL playoffs coming to an end and the Red Sox being brutal it will be nice to watch some primetime/night golf.

Reaction Score
I love playing there... it eats my lunch these days and is great for my handicap. One of the toughest stretches of holes, 4-8, anywhere. Plus they usually have good deals and it isn't that crowded.

Great par 3 at 220-240 downhill but you can have that course - I will work a full day rather than play that dog track.

Now you mention "isn't crowded" and that's a good thing these days. Has anyone else noticed pace of play becoming really bad mostly everywhere? I am sick and tired of people who lolly gag around, stand over the ball for 30 seconds plus, teaching other people who to play etc etc etc...just seems to be on the uprise. Hate slow play (I drink too much when it's slow too lol) and rangers need to do their jobs.

Reaction Score
uconnfan68 said:

Not crowded makes a difference. I took my youngest out for 9 at Grassy Hill (his first real round) yesterday at 1pm and hardly saw another golfer.

Downside is the bar was closed when we finished because they were dead. Had to take him to the owl preservation society for lunch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom