OT: Cincy's Walter Stewart | The Boneyard

OT: Cincy's Walter Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The Bearcats lost their best DE (best defensive player, too) last week to an unspecified injury. It turns out that the injury has now ended his football career. It was a newly discovered congenital defect in his spine:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/cincy-de-to-give-up-football-because-of-injury/

A horrible way to end a bright football career that almost certainly was going to end in the NFL. The nice thing is the very classy way that Butch Jones is handling the situation, who had this to say:

"My deal with him is I’m going to be there with him as long as he allows me to be there for him. I told him we’ll be together for a long, long time and he can be on my coaching staff. He can start the process of being a coach if that’s what he chooses to do.”

Tough situation...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Umm. There is no way the coaching job he is talking about pays 100k.

And even if it did he was a first round pick with guaranteed millions.

Reaction Score
Umm. There is no way the coaching job he is talking about pays 100k.

And even if it did he was a first round pick with guaranteed millions.

seriously... guys is posting about a coach making the best of a really really sh!tty situation and you're arguing about that?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Pointing out something is incorrect is not arguing.

Actually, you haven't pointed out anything as being incorrect, because you are not at all aware of how much Stewart will make as an assistant coach.

Don't worry, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just pointing out that your statement was incorrect... ;)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn had a really highly recruited lineman have the same problem a few years ago, right? Akers?

Hate to see it, but glad it was found before a catastrophic injury in a game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn had a really highly recruited lineman have the same problem a few years ago, right? Akers?

Hate to see it, but glad it was found before a catastrophic injury in a game.

Yes Joe Akers from Maryland believe.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, you haven't pointed out anything as being incorrect, because you are not at all aware of how much Stewart will make as an assistant coach.

Don't worry, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just pointing out that your statement was incorrect... ;)

You don't want to argue with me but when I post on a weekday afternoon you respond in like 30 seconds.

And really first time grad assistant salaries? Come on - Jon Wholley made 25k. There are dozens of stories via 2 seconds on Google that show those guys making peanuts.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You don't want to argue with me but when I post on a weekday afternoon you respond in like 30 seconds.

And really first time grad assistant salaries? Come on - Jon Wholley made 25k. There are dozens of stories via 2 seconds on Google that show those guys making peanuts.

First of all, I happened to jump online after you had posted. I wasn't aware that you were sensitive to quick rebuttals of your ridiculous comments (i.e., "pointing out something is incorrect is not arguing"), so in the future, I will try to make sure that my rebuttals are slow.

Also, I have no idea what position he would be offered. Would it simply be a "grad assistant" position, or would it be something like coaching the defensive ends. Since nobody knows what the answer to that question is, nobody can know what his salary is. I know you are having a hard time saying, "I'm wrong," so I'll say it for you.

Whaler, sometimes it's not necessarily what you say to people but how you say it that sets people off. In other words, had you just said to Jimmy, "I'm not sure about the six figures, my friend. It may just end up being your run-of-the-mill grad assistant position, somewhere in the 20-30k region," I'm sure Jimmy would have said back, "Good point. Possibly." Just an FYI, for whatever it's worth...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all, I happened to jump online after you had posted. I wasn't aware that you were sensitive to quick rebuttals of your ridiculous comments (i.e., "pointing out something is incorrect is not arguing"), so in the future, I will try to make sure that my rebuttals are slow.

Also, I have no idea what position he would be offered. Would it simply be a "grad assistant" position, or would it be something like coaching the defensive ends. Since nobody knows what the answer to that question is, nobody can know what his salary is. I know you are having a hard time saying, "I'm wrong," so I'll say it for you.

Whaler, sometimes it's not necessarily what you say to people but how you say it that sets people off. In other words, had you just said to Jimmy, "I'm not sure about the six figures, my friend. It may just end up being your run-of-the-mill grad assistant position, somewhere in the 20-30k region," I'm sure Jimmy would have said back, "Good point. Possibly." Just an FYI, for whatever it's worth...

When I'm wrong I have no problem saying it. If he gets a full assistant position I'll gladly give you guys your apology. I won't be sweating it.

But seriously - you complain about arguing with me and reply to my post in 2 minutes. I don't really need a lecture on posting - I fully understand I'm an balloon knot and that I should allow a higher percentage of the nonsense I read here go by without comment. Trust me I'm trying real hard to be the Shepherd.

Reaction Score
When I'm wrong I have no problem saying it. If he gets a full assistant position I'll gladly give you guys your apology. I won't be sweating it.

But seriously - you complain about arguing with me and reply to my post in 2 minutes. I don't really need a lecture on posting - I fully understand I'm an ******* and that I should allow a higher percentage of the nonsense I read here go by without comment. Trust me I'm trying real hard to be the Shepherd.

I don't need your apology. I still have your facking goat.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dan hopefully I can get this in before you reply - but we are all making jokes. We probably aren't as funny as each of us thinks we are but I actually laughed at Pedro Serrano's line.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan hopefully I can get this in before you reply - but we are all making jokes. We probably aren't as funny as each of us thinks we are but I actually laughed at Pedro Serrano's line.

You beat my reply by 24 minutes.

I know we are all making jokes. I was making one when I told you that you were technically inaccurate in pointing out an inaccuracy that you did not know to be inaccurate. But you got so worked up with me, even with the speed of my reply! Even with the fact that I responded on a weekday!! ;)

Don't worry, we're still good. I still find myself defending you on the Boneyard almost as much as I berate you (as to why, I have no idea). I probably do it for those rare moments when you actually contradict my defending you so that you can call yourself an a.....I enjoy those times together!!! Be good, Torrie Robertson... :cool:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You beat my reply by 24 minutes.

I know we are all making jokes. I was making one when I told you that you were technically inaccurate in pointing out an inaccuracy that you did not know to be inaccurate. But you got so worked up with me, even with the speed of my reply! Even with the fact that I responded on a weekday!! ;)

Don't worry, we're still good. I still find myself defending you on the Boneyard almost as much as I berate you (as to why, I have no idea). I probably do it for those rare moments when you actually contradict my defending you so that you can call yourself an a.....I enjoy those times together!!! Be good, Torrie Robertson... :cool:

You should have pointed out I was wrong about how much Cinci is going to pay their assistants because NBC is going to pay the Big East 11tybilliondollars a year.

Btw on a serious note - Cinci signed a deal with BYU today for games. Seems like that wouldn't make sense if they were going to be in the same league.

And yes I'm refreshing my phone like EMU gives up huge plays to try and beat your 2 minute reply.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You should have pointed out I was wrong about how much Cinci is going to pay their assistants because NBC is going to pay the Big East 11tybilliondollars a year.

Btw on a serious note - Cinci signed a deal with BYU today for games. Seems like that wouldn't make sense if they were going to be in the same league.

And yes I'm refreshing my phone like EMU gives up huge plays to try and beat your 2 minute reply.

???

I have about 5 or 6 questions for your post, but I suppose I should start off with the most obvious one first: Is this post for me???

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
???

I have about 5 or 6 questions for your post, but I suppose I should start off with the most obvious one first: Is this post for me???

Yes.

Ill try to answer without you asking.

You could have argued that Cinci will pay their assistants like pharaohs based on NBC money.

You are generally interested in the realignment crap - saw tonight Cincinnati and BYU signed a football contract for the future. Doesn't make much sense if BYU had any designs on the Big East. Seems the league is Air Force or bust.

In an attempt to be funny I was hoping to beat your 2 minute response time by refreshing my phone and responding in 1 minute. I was watching EMU implode time and time again against Ohio tonight. They seem to be attempting to end the season the first week of November. If they could all go to bed and wake up in December they would probably be happy.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes.

Ill try to answer without you asking.

You could have argued that Cinci will pay their assistants like pharaohs based on NBC money.

You are generally interested in the realignment crap - saw tonight Cincinnati and BYU signed a football contract for the future. Doesn't make much sense if BYU had any designs on the Big East. Seems the league is Air Force or bust.

In an attempt to be funny I was hoping to beat your 2 minute response time by refreshing my phone and responding in 1 minute. I was watching EMU implode time and time again against Ohio tonight. They seem to be attempting to end the season the first week of November. If they could all go to bed and wake up in December they would probably be happy.

1) Okay.
2) Thank you.
3) I am indeed interested in the realignment crap. Not sure the BYU-Cincy thing would interfere with discussions to join the league, but I have said it before and I'll say it again that BYU is a long shot due to their BYUtv desires. Air Force is more likely, and I would not rule out Fresno State.
4) Ah. I see. I would like to think that normally it takes me at least 3 minutes to respond, because I typically do a 30-second "spellcheck" so as not to leave myself open for ridicule if I type a word like "perspective" instead of "prospective". Poor EMU...hard to believe that UConn lost to them just twelve years ago...

EDIT: I forgot to address the NBC thing. I've never said NBC will pay a bagillion dollars. I have certainly hoped out loud that they pay us 14 million or better, but I have no idea what the new contract will end up being, and with whom...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1) Okay.
2) Thank you.
3) I am indeed interested in the realignment crap. Not sure the BYU-Cincy thing would interfere with discussions to join the league, but I have said it before and I'll say it again that BYU is a long shot due to their BYUtv desires. Air Force is more likely, and I would not rule out Fresno State.
4) Ah. I see. I would like to think that normally it takes me at least 3 minutes to respond, because I typically do a 30-second "spellcheck" so as not to leave myself open for ridicule if I type a word like "perspective" instead of "prospective". Poor EMU...hard to believe that UConn lost to them just twelve years ago...

EDIT: I forgot to address the NBC thing. I've never said NBC will pay a bagillion dollars. I have certainly hoped out loud that they pay us 14 million or better, but I have no idea what the new contract will end up being, and with whom...

I was speaking more in generalities due to my general anti-NBC position.

The spelling correction was an attempt at comedy - as cody would say don't be so sensitive. (that is a joke about cody - I'll try not to be subtle)

I don't think the Big East would have a huge issue with BYUtv - their position seems to be based on rebroadcast rights - why would the Big East lose the best option over rebroadcast rights. I don't think BYU or Air Force want in. I want no part of Fresno or UNLV or Nevada.

Assuming that Louisville doesn't disappear, I think in the end Navy changes their minds and doesn't
join and the league stays at 12 instead of going to 14.

If Louisville disappears all bets are off. I think it puts Boise at risk and leads to a split.

All of which might be wrong. I just think in the end the schools generally act rationally - which is why I thought FSU and Clemson would stay in the ACC.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
images

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I was speaking more in generalities due to my general anti-NBC position.

The spelling correction was an attempt at comedy - as cody would say don't be so sensitive. (that is a joke about cody - I'll try not to be subtle)

I don't think the Big East would have a huge issue with BYUtv - their position seems to be based on rebroadcast rights - why would the Big East lose the best option over rebroadcast rights. I don't think BYU or Air Force want in. I want no part of Fresno or UNLV or Nevada.

Assuming that Louisville doesn't disappear, I think in the end Navy changes their minds and doesn't
join and the league stays at 12 instead of going to 14.

If Louisville disappears all bets are off. I think it puts Boise at risk and leads to a split.

All of which might be wrong. I just think in the end the schools generally act rationally - which is why I thought FSU and Clemson would stay in the ACC.

I think Cody would say something more to the effect of "STFU and stop being whiny!!!" I actually wasn't sure if it was you or not with the "perspective" thing, and I thought that I gave you the thumbs up after doing it (as opposed to another finger being up).

I'm pretty sure that the original BYU-to-Big East talks fell apart specifically due to the tv thing; whether that means rebroadcasting or money or otherwise. It's actually what paved the way for SDSU to join the conference. But I do think that the talks went on in earnest and that BYU was serious about the prospect of joining:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...al-could-be-holding-up-byu-big-east-marriage/

And I think that Walter Stewart will have a good, long career in coaching if Butch Davis keeps to his word, which I imagine he will (that last part was for Huskypantz, who correctly saw that this thread has not been about "this thread" since post number 3)... :confused:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only so much to say on topic. Good player. Sucks he got hurt. Not even the Boneyard can fight about that I'd guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom