OT Cavs Lose their cool | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Cavs Lose their cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both plays were instances of both guys going at it too physically and how unfortunate things can happen. Love and Olynyk were tangled up in a way you see happen all the time in hoops. Most of the time I see a play like that I'm left wondering "how did someone NOT get seriously hurt?" Unfortunately that time someone did. In the picture a few posts up you can see Love had Olynyk pinned in the same fashion as when Love's arm pops out.

Crowder is a very physical borderline dirty rebounder as we should all remember from his Marquette days and JR Smith is an a$$h0le as we should all remember from basketball. You can see a lot of pushing from Crowder previous. The punch to the face is a cheap shot but the knee injury was just a total and unfortunate fluke.

Reaction Score
Didn't Dwade do the same thing to Rondo, if the roles were reversed the Celtics would be singing a different tune. I thought it was a retaliatory move for Olynyk but by no means do I think it was intentional but it was dirty but happens. I can't blame the Cavs for reacting the way they did, I thought what Perkins did was one thing he is that type of player you need in that situation, JR is an idiot an all world talent but for brains.
Yep, in what was a way more gruesome injury and dirtier play IMHO but no one in the media or anywhere said "boo" about Wade being a dirty player.

Reaction Score
He had literally just shoved Smith in the back like one second earlier.

You're kidding me right? He deserved that elbow for pushing a guy in the back in the NBA fighting for rebounds? Has to be sarcasm there somewhere :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I actually think Brad Stevens tells his teams to get rough. Remember the 2011 Championship game and UConn had it under control. I think it was Lamb, near the baseline, was completely shoved by a Butler player and he screamed "What the ?!?" Those Butler teams tried to beat you up cause they lacked the talent. They got another with a lot of non-basketball plays. Banging, pushing, etc happens - but not Randy Savage flying elbows.

In this series - I didn't think they Celtics played hard - I think they tried to get away with as much as they could. Stevens probably told them to go out and play extremely physical. Unfortunately Game 3 and 4 Celtics played Street Ball.

Perkins and JR Smith deserve suspensions ... it was in retaliation to what happened to Love. They had enough. Crowder was throwing elbows all series - he came in like a fullback - shoved Smith - there was again no call / no control from the ref, and Smith knocked him out. In the heat of the moment, Crowder challenged his manhood and Smith bitchslapped him.

Olynyk, in 2 seconds, locked arms - the problem is his other hand grabbed, and twisted loves arm away from his body forcing his elbow to lock and shoulder to pop. It was intentional - it's a move you'd use to hip toss someone. To call him a pansy is idiotic. You're ass would be screaming in pain, if in that situation.

Reaction Score
I hope the Bulls roll over them, they won't but if they do, F them.

caw

Reaction Score
Yep, in what was a way more gruesome injury and dirtier play IMHO but no one in the media or anywhere said "boo" about Wade being a dirty player.

Wait, how is this a dirty play?

Reaction Score

I wouldn't say it was more gruesome, Boston has the whiniest fan base, they think they can have it both ways.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wait, how is this a dirty play?

He wasn't trying to dislocate Rondo's elbow, but he was trying to drive him to the ground.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it was more gruesome, Boston has the whiniest fan base, they think they can have it both ways.
You can argue the dirtiness but do you not see how his elbow bent?

Reaction Score
Only 2 games for JR Smith, seems awfully light for a punch to the face.

caw

Reaction Score
After the whistle take down resulting in someone's arm bending 90 degrees the wrong way?

I say this with an intense dislike of Wade. That's not a dirty play, that's an accident.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I actually think Brad Stevens tells his teams to get rough. Remember the 2011 Championship game and UConn had it under control. I think it was Lamb, near the baseline, was completely shoved by a Butler player and he screamed "What the ?!?" Those Butler teams tried to beat you up cause they lacked the talent. They got another with a lot of non-basketball plays. Banging, pushing, etc happens - but not Randy Savage flying elbows.

In this series - I didn't think they Celtics played hard - I think they tried to get away with as much as they could. Stevens probably told them to go out and play extremely physical. Unfortunately Game 3 and 4 Celtics played Street Ball.

Perkins and JR Smith deserve suspensions ... it was in retaliation to what happened to Love. They had enough. Crowder was throwing elbows all series - he came in like a fullback - shoved Smith - there was again no call / no control from the ref, and Smith knocked him out. In the heat of the moment, Crowder challenged his manhood and Smith bitchslapped him.

Olynyk, in 2 seconds, locked arms - the problem is his other hand grabbed, and twisted loves arm away from his body forcing his elbow to lock and shoulder to pop. It was intentional - it's a move you'd use to hip toss someone. To call him a pansy is idiotic. You're ass would be screaming in pain, if in that situation.

You are crazy on all counts - absolutely nuts and uninformed.

Reaction Score
The refs blew this game. JR Smith was dead wrong, but he won't get 10 games. The Olynyk play was just as dirty. Sure he didn't think "I am going to dislocate his shoulder." but that damn sure wasn't a basketball play.

The clip you link to in the still shot (before you begin the video) shows Olynyk's mouth wide open in pain from Love pinning it against him and bending it unnaturally. Olynyk then tries to do the same thing. And hurts Love.

I think both guys actually tried to hurt each other.

Reaction Score
i really dont think crowder deserved that, he got knocked the out by jr smith, and who knows might have serious damage to his knee (EDIT, looks like its a bone bruise). apparently the cavs went in the locker room and decided to 'get them back' for loves injury, such bs. Love is a pansy

Joe Giza ‏@JoeGiza 4h4 hours ago
Cedric Maxwell on Sports Final last night said Cavs players told him at halftime they were going to get back at #celtics for Love injury

CDj1058UUAEwURZ.jpg

seconds before the injury courtesy of rick foxs twitter

Nobody has adequately responded to this . . . . I suspect I know why.

Reaction Score
probably because out of the dumb speculation in this thread, idea that cavs players would tell a celtics media homer after the fact that they were trying to intentionally hurt boston players might be the dumbest (actual quote says nothing about halftime)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Boston actually thought they could sign Love as an FA.

Reaction Score
And that's on the same level as an elbow to the head?

You have to be a Knicks fan.

My thoughts exactly, if anything the Cavs should have just played blank faced basketball. They were killing the Celtics, about to sweep them, with title hopes. The celtics had no hopes of a title at all, so if a game turns into a bloody deathmatch, I'd say the Cavs had a lot more to lost. I was almost hoping the Celtics would attack LeBron after Crowder was attacked twice. Especially with blatt keeping Perkins in the game after that play, he should have benched him understanding that what he did deserved an ejection, and on the other side... Brad Stevens pulls Crowder so he doesnt end up punching someone. It was very easy to look at that situation as good vs evil.

and Love can cry me a river, that wasnt an on purpose attempt at injuring a player. He pinned Olynyk's arm immediately before his shoulder was popped. Did he just expect Olynyk to get his arm pinned without pinning him back? I guess he is a lowly NBA player and not a Allstar like Love, clearly allstars should be allowed to pull and hold players but be immune from any repercussions.

Reaction Score
Huh? That was a dirty play by Olynyk and the guy ended up injured.

If you love the Cavs and Kevin Love...

it can be looked it any way possible. Love pinned Olynyks arm first, watch the play. If Love didn't want to injure his precious body, he shouldn't have pinned Olynyk's arm. You cant start chippy play and then whine about the consequences

Olynyk didn't mean to injure him, he meant to grab and pin his arm because Love had just done it to him. The fact that he whines to the media and tries to ruin Olynyk's reputation makes him so much worse in this situation. I think he's learning from LeBron

Reaction Score
Every Cavs player should be shown the picture from Fox's twitter, with the message "Shut &$k up".

I like LeBron. I hope he wins a title in Cleveland. And I'm guessing that Love was speaking out of anger over the situation. I'd forgive that reaction if the Cavs didn't start headhunting once the game appeared to be in hand.

Reaction Score
Wow - can't believe how blind you are Kembacity. In that clip above, Love is going for the rebound and his arm is extended to hold Olynyk from the rebound. That's a tie up. Olynyk decides to drag Love's momentum away from the ball (to the right). What's dirty - what is not a basketball play - is Olynyk then uses is other free hand to grab Love's arm, twist and perform a hip toss / weight distribution move to make sure his momentum continues to go right when Love wants the rebound to the left. The twist action locked up Love's elbow and Olynyk's two hand pull to the right forced his shoulder to pop out. Don't tell me he didnt do that on purpose. He did ... he didn't think it would tear his shoulder out. It's an arm bar move. It's a move that in MMA people tap out. Olynyk opening his mouth, is Olynyk screaming to get into position not that Love hurt him ... please. The stupidity on this board sometimes ... I hope you're not one of "those" guys posting threads about firing Ollie or benching players after a bad game.

As I stated before, the Celts do not have the talent and they went out and played streetball. There were flying elbows, Crowder is an , and the Cavs did want they should not have done - retaliated. It's like baseball - you take out a good player / then we'll take out your good player. They went after Crowder cause he was the Celts best defender on LeBron. Of course the Cavs deserve the suspensions - every man has a breaking point and the Cavs had enough. They're a finesse team - only LeBron knocks you down.

There's always elbows / pushing/ bad calls / etc. but Crowder was flying in like a fullback, pushing, elbows, and the refs had no control of the game.

If it was UConn playing we all be bitching up a storm. The last two games of that series were out of control and not good basketball.

Reaction Score
Wow - can't believe how blind you are Kembacity. In that clip above, Love is going for the rebound and his arm is extended to hold Olynyk from the rebound. That's a tie up. Olynyk decides to drag Love's momentum away from the ball (to the right). What's dirty - what is not a basketball play - is Olynyk then uses is other free hand to grab Love's arm, twist and perform a hip toss / weight distribution move to make sure his momentum continues to go right when Love wants the rebound to the left. The twist action locked up Love's elbow and Olynyk's two hand pull to the right forced his shoulder to pop out. Don't tell me he didnt do that on purpose. He did ... he didn't think it would tear his shoulder out. It's an arm bar move. It's a move that in MMA people tap out. Olynyk opening his mouth, is Olynyk screaming to get into position not that Love hurt him ... please. The stupidity on this board sometimes ... I hope you're not one of "those" guys posting threads about firing Ollie or benching players after a bad game.

As I stated before, the Celts do not have the talent and they went out and played streetball. There were flying elbows, Crowder is an , and the Cavs did want they should not have done - retaliated. It's like baseball - you take out a good player / then we'll take out your good player. They went after Crowder cause he was the Celts best defender on LeBron. Of course the Cavs deserve the suspensions - every man has a breaking point and the Cavs had enough. They're a finesse team - only LeBron knocks you down.

There's always elbows / pushing/ bad calls / etc. but Crowder was flying in like a fullback, pushing, elbows, and the refs had no control of the game.

If it was UConn playing we all be bitching up a storm. The last two games of that series were out of control and not good basketball.

The games were relegated to referees giving every call possible to Kyrie and LeBron. The C's played "hard" basketball and used some physicality no doubt. Street ball? No sorry you're the blind one here. It's basketball, they scraped, clawed and even pushed a little, nothing the great players don't get away with all day. Ask Larry, ask Michael, ask LeBron as we speak. The Celts played so hard they actually were fun to watch in a game for me that is tough to watch. Trying to make up for the lack of calls coming their way they gave it a run and a good one. They were sorely undermanned and made the fans proud despite the sweep. And the only intent during that game was made by the Cavs, Perkins and Smith who should both miss the next series for their classless attempts to revenge what was nothing.

Reaction Score

I can agree that if this was a UConn players shoulder being injured I would be biased and think the player did it intentionally, but if you can watch the video and dont understand that Olynyk does what he does because Love does it to him first, you're the blind one.

Olynyk actually starts wincing when Love pins his arm and is just still doing it when he is pinning Love's arm.

Celtics were playing rough basketball but still basketball, and it was the only way they could play and have any chance at winning a game or making their coach and fans proud. They were severely outmatched, so they needed to play with a tough intensity and bump the bumper so to speak. I think the Cavs were extremely stupid to stoop to clear attacks against players because like I said, they had a lot to lose. Would have been a good cautionary tale if someone undercut LeBron as he made a wild move to the basket, causing a knee injury or something.

Definitely don't play violent and dirty unless you don't have a problem with the same dirty play coming back at you

Reaction Score
If you love the Cavs and Kevin Love...

If you don't see that twist, with the arm already pinned, away from the ball, as something dirty that is just asking for injury, there is no discussion to have. You gave away your bias in the first sentence anyway though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom