OT but timely, What is the best hot dog? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT but timely, What is the best hot dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In Phoenix we have the "Big Unit" - named after Randy Johnson - at Cooperstown, Alice Cooper's sports bar near the downtown stadium and arena...

View attachment 9900

j66: speaking with all the modesty I can muster (not an easy task for me as you folks know), I'd have to say that is a Unit worthy of contemplation and , perhaps, even admiration.

Reaction Score
j66: speaking with all the modesty I can muster (not an easy task for me as you folks know), I'd have to say that is a Unit worthy of contemplation and , perhaps, even admiration.
Well it's definitely worthy of the wait staff clanging a big bell and announcing its delivery to the whole restaurant. Feeds a family of 4.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Grote & Weigel are very good. Mucke's are as well.

And you definitely need split-top buns.
throw in Nathans as well, they are similar to Grote & Weigel... plus Mucke's and Grote are local

Reaction Score
I was introduced to Deutschmacher hot dogs here at work when we have our customer bbq's during the summer. I have to admit they are REALLY good. From what I can see their distribution is limited pretty much to the Northeast. I found them at LaBonne's Markets in Watertown and at Stop & Shop. It originally was a small independent but I understand now they are part of Kayem. Pretty yummy doggies!

What's your favorite?
My home made brats out of venison and pork.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
throw in Nathans as well, they are similar to Grote & Weigel... plus Mucke's and Grote are local

Brown dogs are local dogs and local dogs are fresh?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to be outdone, the diamondbacks introduced the $25 "D-Bat Dog", an 18" corn dog stuffed with bacon and cheese...

View attachment 9901
My arteries hardened just looking at that. I see they had to clear out the rest of the row just make room for the dog!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anybody know Capitol Lunch in New Britain.
While I think Capitol Lunch is a cool place, I thought the dogs were nasty. I swear I could actually taste the meat by-products.

Augie & Rays is so much better.

Reaction Score
While I think Capitol Lunch is a cool place, I thought the dogs were nasty. I swear I could actually taste the meat by-products.

Augie & Rays is so much better.
Zweigles pop open white hot dogs.
Nothing comes close.

Reaction Score
I left Syracuse, NY over 40 years ago, but when I visit my wife's relatives, we stock up on Hoffman's hot dogs to bring home. They are the best! We also visit the venerable Heid's Hot Dog Stand near North Syracuse. I'll bet Stewie has been there many times in her past.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dunno why I came back into this thread when Im hungry :( I need to call my mother to make sure she buys Hebrew Nationals for the 4th. I dont want to be stuck eating Ballpark franks or some other lowly brand :mad: Mind you I aint gonna pass up a ballpark frank.... but if im gonna be eating 3,4,5 hot dogs.... id rather them to be Hebrew :p

Reaction Score
Grote & Weigel are very good. Mucke's are as well.

And you definitely need split-top buns.
Don't remember the name of restaurant but it is on the Berlin Turnpike.They sell 2 foot Grote and Weigel hot dogs!My favorite!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wish my mother read the boneyard....... i made the call.. and she had already purchased Ballpark franks :(

Reaction Score
I wish my mother read the boneyard.. i made the call.. and she had already purchased Ballpark franks :(

It could be worse; Your mother could have purchased Oscar Mayer hot dogs. As a consolation, Ballpark franks are very good in franks and beans; and if you boil them you can use the water to season vegetables;

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't remember the name of restaurant but it is on the Berlin Turnpike.They sell 2 foot Grote and Weigel hot dogs!My favorite!

Doogies. They also have an associated place on the Vernon/Manchester line on RT 30.

Reaction Score
I have 2 Hebrew National Knockwurst franks for lunch every Saturday! As a Jew born in the Bronx, (Grand Concourse) NY I loved the Hebrew National Jewish Deli around the corner on Tremont Ave. With Dr. Browns CREAM SODA, a salami knosh, new pickle, or a 3" high Hot pastrami on rye sandwich, now that's heaven!
Up in CT now when I go to UCONN WBB at Gampel they sell LITTLE BROWN MISSILES OF DEATH (hot dogs)! You can't get a really good meal at Gampel! I sneak SUBWAY in!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ballpark franks??? Your kidding, right?

Hey..... it wasnt my decision... I doubt my mother buys more than one pack of hot dogs per year. Trust me... I'll have a sit down discussion with her later today explaining why she should have gotten Hebrew Nationals

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
On AOL today, there was a slide show -- "75 Best Hot Dogs -- and it included mouth-watering photos plus detailed descriptions of the dogs and a little history) I liked "I Dream of Wienie" and "Mustard's Last Stand" among many clever names.

Two local (for me and others in Fairfield County) hot dog emporiums were highly rated: Rawley's and Super Duper Wienie, both in Fairfield.

I will vouch for Super Duper Wienie (so will Guy Fieri), especially the New Englander. Tonight we will watch Boston Pops/Fireworks and knock down a few of them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
BTW, Pepe's Apizza was on the Food Channel Monday night as #4 in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom