OT - but college sports related - U of A | The Boneyard

OT - but college sports related - U of A

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have been meaning to share 2 recent news bits from the University of Arizona, both of which were interesting insights into athletic departments, I thought.

- The financial person for Arizona athletic department recently retired, and the article indicated that he was in the "black" every year of his tenure. Exactly what a "profit" means is problematic, of course, depending on the way accounting is done, however, he indicated the only 2 "crises" he faced were the "bonus" to hire our MBB coach, Sean Miller, and the pay-outs when former head FB coach Mike Stoops got fired a few years ago (he was fired mid-season and the staff at the end of the season). Still, an accomplishment for an athletic department whose FB program is hardly a cash cow.

- A wealthy donor gave U of A a large investment that will be used to incent FB coach Rich Rod, MBB coach Sean Miller and AD Greg Byrne to stay at the school. They will receive something after 4 years and a fully vested amount after remaining 8 years (3 million for the AD, 6 million for each coach). And before anyone thinks "almighty athletics", the income for the first 3 years (about 3 million a year) goes to the University in general to be spent as the President of the University of Arizona, Ann Weaver Hart, decides. Very innovative, to my mind.

Reaction Score
The coaches were given shares in an oil & gas venture (RichRod 175,000 shares, Byrne 100,000 shares, etc) if they stay 8 years. RichRod's is currently valued at $6.2m, but if the venture is successful it could be worth a whole lot more in 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#
Top Bottom