OT: Bruce Buffer is the man | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bruce Buffer is the man

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm not a huge MMA fan but a lot of it's charm is that it is a glorified bar fight. Boxing had gotten boring and too far removed from what it originally was: two guys beating the crap out of each other until one guy can't go on anymore. MMA fights typically have very clear winners and losers. For the fights that I've seen, admittedly not all that many, it doesn't come down to judges deciding how many punches are thrown. For the casual fan it, that makes it more watchable.

FWIW, I liked it more in it's early days when MMA fighting was more like the movie Bloodsport with people using dramatically different styles to fight each other. Now there is a more generalized MMA style people adopt. It's been interesting to see the sport's evolution.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you are not a football fan this does not pertain to you but if you are then you are an absolute hypocrite! Ive always laughed when someone says MMA is a brutal/barbaric sport and should be banned but then say theyre huge football fans. Just because they wear helmets and pads doesnt make it any less brutal. Football is they most brutal sport there is. You have guys that weigh 250lbs+ smashing into each other at full speed a hundred times a game. More people get killed every year doing the sport of fishing then mma and boxing combined.
tumblr_inline_nn85dq6A0s1r07tdw_500.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I thought the Rousey fight was entertaining. Yeah yeah - there are 100 reasons why her dominance is historical but doesn't mean much. It's like Wilt Chamberlain - guy was dominant at a time when nobody was near his size. So, yeah, she's dominant, but there's no competition.
For my dollar, I like MMA. But I respect that others like other things, including boxing.
It's not one or the other. And, at the end of the day, it's about being entertained.

rousey_zpsjcombkhp.jpg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Seemed like a quick stop to the fight. Didn't even get the Brazilian chick a chance to stand up. It's not like she was knocked out cold.

Reaction Score
Not a big MMA fan, but to all you saying Rousey was unskilled in this fight seems kind of ridiculous. From what I know, Rousey is famous for her take downs and winning through submission - her last two fights she made the other woman submit in even less time than it took her to win this past fight. The word is that she really wanted to knock this girl out because she got too personal with the trash talk - involving family, etc. (hence, the sloppy looking punch-fest). An MMA fight would never look like a skilled boxing match because there is always a constant threat of getting your legs taken out, etc.

Seeing people who are willing to wail on each other to be the best fighter is not a problem - I don't even care if they actually hurt each other. Everyone knows that happens when you get in a fight. I don't really care for the sport too much in general - but it's extremely entertaining when something awesome happens (like about every Rousey fight).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
FWIW, I liked it more in it's early days when MMA fighting was more like the movie Bloodsport with people using dramatically different styles to fight each other. Now there is a more generalized MMA style people adopt. It's been interesting to see the sport's evolution.

If they had something like Bloodsport, I'd watch every second. I'll admit it.

Reaction Score
MMA is gets the bottom of the barrel people. That's a general statement. They don't do background checks, they don't care if you have criminal history including assaults, beating women etc. They know the people they get to fight in the cage have issues for the most part and aggression problems. People who hang out on the streets fighting for fun see MMA as an opportunity to do what they do but get paid.

Go look at the stats compared to every other pro sport. They are 3 times higher for arrests and assault beating women etc. It the stats would be higher if the women weren't afraid of being beat out choked out so they don't remember what happened.

A fair share of these so called athletes are street fighting punks cashing in on what they've done their whole life

Reaction Score
MMA is gets the bottom of the barrel people. That's a general statement. They don't do background checks, they don't care if you have criminal history including assaults, beating women etc. They know the people they get to fight in the cage have issues for the most part and aggression problems. People who hang out on the streets fighting for fun see MMA as an opportunity to do what they do but get paid.

Go look at the stats compared to every other pro sport. They are 3 times higher for arrests and assault beating women etc. It the stats would be higher if the women weren't afraid of being beat out choked out so they don't remember what happened.

A fair share of these so called athletes are street fighting punks cashing in on what they've done their whole life

So you mean to tell me a bunch of jacked dudes with tattoos who are obsessed with working out, steroids and fighting people have higher arrest rates for assault and domestic violence than normal people?

Reaction Score
wasn't corriera undefeated going into the fight? it looked like they grabbed a random lady from the crowd and had her fight rousey . any reason why rousey didnt compete for a gold in judo during 2012?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically like the mayweather fight. Someone who waiting until his opponent was injured and out of his prime and then danced around the ring and hugged his opponent.

Comparing that fight to the chick scrum the other night is nonsensical.

Reaction Score
Comparing [the maywether/pacman] fight to the chick scrum the other night is nonsensical.
No doubt that what you wrote is the unvarnished truth, but, in fairness to the chicks who scrummed, and in reference to the Pac/MW fight, given that one guy was fighting a dodging, defensive style the whole way, taking no risks whatsoever, and one guy was fighting with one arm, I'd say comparing the maywether/pacman fight to an actual fight would also be nonsensical.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Rousey should stick with winning by armbar. Low risk and deadly effective. She let emotion get to her and took a big counter shot that reddened her face. No need for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom