OT: Boxing: Mayweather and Pacquiao rumors | The Boneyard

OT: Boxing: Mayweather and Pacquiao rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
So a few weeks ago Manny says he has agreed to the terms publicly (Floyd would get the 60/40 purse) and is waiting for Floyd to sign up for the fight on May 2nd. Freddie Roach says the fight is imminent.... Not a bleep from Floyd, so Manny says Floyd has until the end of the month, or he will move on to fight someone else. Yesterday Floyd finally says something regarding this - that its difficult to work with Manny's promotor Bob Arum and he doesn't want to work with Arum ..... Is Floyd creating an excuse to not sign? If Floyd doesn't sign and fights Cotto again then that's going to create more Mayweather haters.

Now the latest I have read is that Canelo plans to fight Kirkland on May 2nd so if Mayweather still wants a May 2nd fight, then he'll need to fight Manny on that date or take a back seat and fight on another date.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's no contract, there's no fight - there aren't even any terms to agree to. It's all posturing.

One guy is HBO, one guy is Showtime. I dont think a fight is even seriously being discussed.

The fighters are the least important people at the table - Manny admitted he doesn't know what the negotiations are about and you know Mayweather isn't sharp enough to either.

These guys will fight when the money folks can't squeeze a buck out of them any other way.

Reaction Score
With Arum involved I never believe any of the hype on Pac's side. Arum is the same dude who had Pac's team create a website with a clock counting down the deadline to make the fight happen a few years back during a point when negotiations weren't even taking place. I can't take anything serious from either side, but given Arum, and Floyd's personal history with Arum after he broke free from his stable of fighters its not surprising that he's one of the roadblocks(among many other roadblocks) in making this fight happen. At this point its basically like asking why Stone Cold didn't fight Goldberg when Stone Cold was WWE and Goldberg WCW, it just doesn't seem possible to make it happen.

Reaction Score
The way I heard a boxing expert explain it was like this. Floyd has two fights left on his contract for a guarantee of at least 30 miles each. Why make the pac fight one of those fights when he can wait and get the pac money when the Contract is up. Who would be foolish enough to leave 30 million on the table. Age wise the time is now but finance wise it wouldn't make sense for floyd.

Reaction Score
It's obvious even to casual boxing fans that Mayweather is dodging the bullet - for at least 5 years now. The sickening fear of losing his no-loss record to Pacquiao is too real for May. It's not the money or those other issues. Pacman simply represents a clear (best) threat to his perfect record. Let's say this: if Mayweather miraculously signs the contract and agrees to Pacman's request to use the puncher's gloves (the smallest size), then it's quite possible that Pac will knock him out silly inside 10 rounds - maybe even debilitate him just like what had happened to Margarito who underwent 6 or so operations to save a damaged eye he had sustained from 12 horrrific rounds of butchery. Margarito at fight night weighed 17 pounds heavier than Pac. So the smallish Pac can destroy much bigger fighters and May is not as big as Margarito. Yes, faster and more skilled, but just the unfortunate size that he has would leave him susceptible to Pacquiao's non-stop onslaught. Of course, May will insist on using the softer gloves. In that case, the fight will end up in a decision, either one winning. I do not know which guy would win under that scenario, of course. But I would bet my house on a KO by Pac if the KO gloves were used.

Reaction Score
Mayweather always has an excuse yet he's the one that called out Pacman, was Pacman not with Bob Arum when he called him out after the Maidana fight ? Mayweather always has an excuse when it comes to Manny because he know he'll lose. Bradley said Manny's speed kills the angles his feet everything is fast, Algeri(sp?) said it's like fighting 3 guys at once, Cotto said you can't see those punches coming.

Between the 6-12 minute mark Floyd talks about not wanting to go 50/50 with Manny because he doesn't want to go hungry LOL. He also say's he doesnt want to risk his health like other great fighters did when they fought other great fighters... smh

Reaction Score
I miss the Don King promoter days, there were some great fights in that era. I don't care for the guy, but he would get it done.

Bowe Holifield 1 was one of the greatest fights ever

Reaction Score
I miss the Don King promoter days, there were some great fights in that era. I don't care for the guy, but he would get it done.

Bowe Holifield 1 was one of the greatest fights ever
Great fights during that era indeed. Tyson-Douglas obviously, the two Tyson-Ruddock fights were a few others.

Reaction Score
Saw one of the last Mayweather fights - impossibly boring. If he ever fights Pac, I'm sure it will be 12 rounds of running away and counter punching for a decision for Mayweather.

These clowns and their promoters is why young people prefer mma.

Reaction Score
Well, which one of us is going to convince him to tie his hand behind his back?

Well, which one of us is going to convince him to tie his hand behind his back?

It looks like you are running away from my challenge. I guess it has to be you asking of him because you suggested that scenario in the first place. I never factored fighting with one hand in my scenario whether as a joke or not. I guess you have to eat your own dust for making a silly remark devoid of wit or logic. But to make it easier on you, let's just have them fight with both hands. That's a little bit more realistic than your hamstrung idea. Well, this time May I up the bet to 150? Are you still there? Or running away like your friend May?

Reaction Score
It looks like you are running away from my challenge. I guess it has to be you asking of him because you suggested that scenario in the first place. I never factored fighting with one hand in my scenario whether as a joke or not. I guess you have to eat your own dust for making a silly remark devoid of wit or logic. But to make it easier on you, let's just have them fight with both hands. That's a little bit more realistic than your hamstrung idea. Well, this time May I up the bet to 150? Are you still there? Or running away like your friend May?

Take it easy, hardo. Don't be an internet tough guy. Sure, I'll take your money. If and when they actually fight remind me. 150.

Pacquiao can't finish Chris Algieri, so I don't think he's going to "debilitate" Mayweather. Easy, boring decision.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Money Floyd has avoided all his top competitors when they were at the top of their craft. Its his MO

His legacy and remaining undefeated is all he cares about. I don't think Pacman has a shot to beat Floyd today but there is a slight chance Pac could steal the fight based on volume of punches he would throw. Floyd is arguably the greatest counter puncher of all time and this fight would go to the cards IMO.

Anything could happen if a fight is decided by the judges. I don't think Floyd wants to take that chance.

Reaction Score
View attachment 8426

EJ may want to debate you. I'm out of it. I don't engage in weak-minded fantasies.

What happened to the tough talk? Now you're backing out? Unimpressive but not surprising.

It looks like you are running away from my challenge. I guess it has to be you asking of him because you suggested that scenario in the first place. I never factored fighting with one hand in my scenario whether as a joke or not. I guess you have to eat your own dust for making a silly remark devoid of wit or logic. But to make it easier on you, let's just have them fight with both hands. That's a little bit more realistic than your hamstrung idea. Well, this time May I up the bet to 150? Are you still there? Or running away like your friend May

Reaction Score
What happened to the tough talk? Now you're backing out? Unimpressive but not surprising.

It looks like you are running away from my challenge. I guess it has to be you asking of him because you suggested that scenario in the first place. I never factored fighting with one hand in my scenario whether as a joke or not. I guess you have to eat your own dust for making a silly remark devoid of wit or logic. But to make it easier on you, let's just have them fight with both hands. That's a little bit more realistic than your hamstrung idea. Well, this time May I up the bet to 150? Are you still there? Or running away like your friend May

I can't. You are too old for me. I want younger fights. I pick my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom