OT: Book review of Bob Ryan's 'Scribe' | The Boneyard

OT: Book review of Bob Ryan's 'Scribe'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I just finished reading it and if you are a Boston sports fan, it is well worth it....or maybe
as a gift for said fan.

Tons of behind the scenes stuff on the Celtics going back 45-50 years. Basketball is Ryan's wheelhouse
and he hits a home run here. Moderate amount on Sox/Bruins/Patriots/Olympics and assorted items
on other topics including golf. I am of a certain age that actually remembers many of the events he covered...as they happened...and it's fascinating to read his commentary.

Some of Bob's biographical musings on his boyhood get the book off to a slow start but it's a very enjoyable read.

Only real disappointment: no mention of the UConn men or women....and I know from reading his columns that he has a great amount of respect for Calhoun and Geno and what they built in Storrs.
He does offer some general praise for the women's game and specifically cites his fondest Olympic memory as being the USA/Russia women's semifinal game in 1992 [Barcelona?]....we actually lost the game.

A non-Boston fan might get worn down a tad by his overall focus on the Olde Towne teams but not being one of those troublemakers I found the book delightful.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll never forget what Pete Vescey wrote in one of his "hoop du jour" columns way back when: "... I hope someone does for you or your family what Bob Ryan does for the Boston Celtics..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin
Top Bottom