OT: biopic James Brown movie'Get on Up'...out Friday | The Boneyard

OT: biopic James Brown movie'Get on Up'...out Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I can't wait to see this. I confess to being a huge James Brown fan and the little I've read and seen
about this movie make this a must-see. The review I read today was full of praise and the promo on TV
was fabulous. I don't know if there is an Oscar for 'best make-up artist' but if there is, the one doing the facial appearance of the actor playing James [Chadwick Boseman] should get it. BTW Boseman also played Jackie Robinson a short time ago.

He lip syncs the songs with the real track of James singing being played. The reviewer wants Boseman to get an Oscar nominee with his portrayal and the music acts being the highlights.

James did enough bad things for several lifetimes...and enough great things to more than balance the ledger....imo.

Can't wait to see it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It will have to be great to measure up to "Ray", an equally compelling biopic.

I will definitely be checking it out !

Reaction Score
James Brown was scheduled to be the closing act at the T.A.M.I. Concert in 1964. The show's producers decided, at the last minute, to have the Stones close the show instead. Mick said it was a terrible decision to follow Brown that night. See for yourself.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It will have to be great to measure up to "Ray", an equally compelling biopic.

I will definitely be checking it out !
Jamie was amazing with Ray... but James Brown movie looks good

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He lip syncs the songs with the real track of James singing being played. The reviewer wants Boseman to get an Oscar nominee with his portrayal and the music acts being the highlights.

Absolutely no way an actor was going to pull off true covers of JB.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I have a copy of the TAMI show...great early JB stuff. I also have a copy of the DVD of 'the Night James Brown saved Boston'....apparently
a highlight in the movie....showed lots of real footage of the concert he gave the day of the MLK assasination...which kept lots of folks either in the Boston Garden or home watching on
TV...aired to prevent riots and worse in the city.....and it worked.

Reaction Score
You could not have a party in the late 60's, early 70's without James Brown's current hits. M7 favorite 45 of all time was the two sided release of Can't Stand It/There Was A Time. He also had excellent bands; Very precise, very professional. A very, very young Bootsy Collins was his bass player for about a year and was on a few monster hits.

When the Jackson Five auditioned for Motown, this was one of the songs they performed:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How was the movie? Not a big James Brown fan but I do like the remakes and songs that sample his music. I'm sure he has an interesting story and after seeing the movie I will be a fan.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I saw the movie yesterday and a review follows....fwiw:

It's kinda long and it jumps from one time frame to another too often.....early childhood/adult/back to childhood etc.
The director gets some pretty consistent criticism in the reviews I read and I can see why. Chadwick Boseman gets near unanimous raves
from critics for his portrayal and I can sure see why.

The stage performances are lip-synched but he is energetic and exciting in performing the songs....and his dancing is close enough
to the real thing to be way entertaining. The music is great throughout. In regular conversations he affects the way James Brown talked...it is
spot-on. His performance alone is worth the price of admission....I hope he gets some props come Oscar time.

I was aware of most of the highlights of James Brown's life so there weren't too many surprises. He had a tough upbringing and he wound up
making it tough for many close to him later in life.

It's very much worth seeing...for the music and for Boseman.

BTW: one of the highlights is the concert he gave in Boston the night of MLK's assasination....one that was aired to hopefully shield the city from the violence around the country...
which it did. It was interesting to see the film's depiction of that as compared to the real thing....which I happen to have on a DVD. The movie overstated some the interaction between
the police security and the fans as some of them rushed the stage....but Boseman's portrayal of Brown's reaction to this was accurate.

If any of our more expert movie-goers see the film I would love to hear your wisdom.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
James Brown was scheduled to be the closing act at the T.A.M.I. Concert in 1964. The show's producers decided, at the last minute, to have the Stones close the show instead. Mick said it was a terrible decision to follow Brown that night. See for yourself.

That first minute says it all.....too bad he never learned stage presence and how to dance..

Reaction Score
Useless personal trivia....

I spent a VERY interesting New Year's Eve 1988 with Tomi Rae, the future "wife" of James Brown. At the time, she was the lead singer for the LA based rock band "Hardly Dangerous", who also featured Athena Lee, sister of Motley Cure drummer Tommy Lee. She was a friend of my friend, Lois Ayres who also lived in LA at the time and spent the holiday in NYC with Lois, who introduced us.

Can't expand because this is a family forum.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger