OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 37 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There's this place in New Haven on Wooster street called Pepe's. Nice little pizzeria.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
New pie in town in New Haven at Tarry Lodge (with established locations in Port Chester, NY and Westport, CT). It's a Batali/Bastianich joint that offers a full menu with salads, pastas and other mains, and also a selection of wood-fired pizza. This was my second time there but first time trying the pizza (my wife and I had two different pasta dishes, an app and some broccoli rabe last time and all were surprisingly excellent).

I had the pizza with guanciale, egg and shaved black truffles and it was amazing. Not New Haven/Napoletana style per se, as the crust is not as thin or as crisp, but still a very good crust. Really an excellent pie. Definitely recommend checking it out. I'm eyeing the one with burrata, pancetta and chili oil for next time.

Reasonably priced quartinos of wine as well as bottles, beer and booze.

I will definitely be back to this place. A welcome addition to New Haven imo, which is not an easy task for an Italian joint, much less one that sells pizza. I think they will do well because they are different enough from the others and very good.

Reaction Score
Salame piccante is a regular topping option at Bufalina in Guilford. They also presently have a seasonal pizza with wild boar salami. I love them both, and I think speck (which they also offer) is even better.

We went there. That place is tiny. At night, we had trouble to find it even with the address in our GPS. Parking was a problem. Despite the glowing report from the NYT, we were really disappointed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We went there. That place is tiny. At night, we had trouble to find it even with the address in our GPS. Parking was a problem. Despite the glowing report from the NYT, we were really disappointed.
Sorry 'bout that. Yep, it's tiny and parking is tight. It's a very simple, modest place, which is part of the charm imo; but I can see how someone expecting a destination might be disappointed. Surprised you didn't like the pie if you liked what you read about it, but it's probably not for everyone.

Reaction Score
We live in Madison so your posting was very helpful. Bufalina does not open until 4 PM but allow ordering in advance. Ordered 2 large to try out. I guess we are looking for Chicago pizza type.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There's this place called Carminuccio's in Newtown. Supposedly, Gourmet Magazine named them one of the top ten in the country. I'm not sure they are among the top ten in Newtown.

Unless I hit it on a historically bad day, the only poll they could come out in the top 10 in, is a poll of the owner's family. It wasn't impressive at all. I wouldn't even call it pedestrian.

We live in Newtown. Carminuccio's is okay, not great.

Best pizza in Newtown is My Place Restaurant on . On average, 500 pies go out the door on a Friday night.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had never been to Modern before but will definitely be back. I'm gonna give it a couple more trial runs before I commit to this statement, but it might have been the best clam pizza I've ever had.

I had the same experience at Modern.

Reaction Score
Pizzeria Marzano in Torrington is pretty good if you're looking for Neopolitan style pies, they use great ingredients.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For shoreline people, new Italian restaurant in Clinton with very good wood fired pizza, Roma Di Notte:

http://brunosromadinotte.com/home/2737288

My wife and one of our daughters went there last week and brought me home an excellent entree with house-made pappardelle and "hot sausage ragout," which I expected to be a red sauce but it was white instead--still very good, and very much "house made." They also brought home a couple small slices from the "Nonna's" pizza they ordered (fresh mozz, marinara sauce, basil and olive oil). It was only a small sampling, but it tasted very good and the ingredients were very high quality. Tasted like the sauce was made from plum tomatoes, which I really like because they are so sweet. Like the other recent wood-fired places (e.g., Bufalina, Otto, Krust, Da Legna, Tarry Lodge), they only sell smalls, which their oven can crank out in around 90 seconds.

They said that the customers filling into the place were mostly old-school Italians, which is always a good sign, and that the owner (Bruno) was very nice and very attentive. We'll definitely be back.

Reaction Score

It will be interesting if that pizza place makes it. There have been about 10 different restaurants in the past 15 years in that spot. They all end up closing, just don't get it.

There also a wood fired pizza place in Branford called Brunello haven't tried it yet but drive by it all the time. No idea if it's good or not. It's next to Branford news and variety on main st.

Also side note not sure if you were aware but stony creek brewery just opened this weekend. Not a huge fan of the few brews I've tried in bars but I'll probably check it out since its so close

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hear you, method man. That place has changed very frequently. I hope this one makes it, but it has seemed like a jinxed location.

I've heard good things about the Branford place and need to check it out.

Agree with you about Stony Creek. Great spot, but I hope the beer improves.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Umberto's in New Hyde Park? Went there over the weekend on the way back from JFK. Pretty good pizza.

Reaction Score
Went to Grimaldi's in Fort Myers FL recently. Was an A plus by Florida standards, and probably a B plus to Pepe's of New Haven's A.

We have it so good in CT. B plus pizza in Florida is newsworthy.

Reaction Score
Went to Paradise Pizza in Hard Hittin New Britain on Sunday, pretty decent old fashioned type pies.

Reaction Score

It will be interesting if that pizza place makes it. There have been about 10 different restaurants in the past 15 years in that spot. They all end up closing, just don't get it.

---------

Hope it's a good place. Website looks upscale - wine, etc. The past failures at that location were attributed to crappy food/etc /dives. Grand Apizza - a NH transplant - is just down the road, and supposedly very good. Gotta try this stuff.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
LOL, love the timing of this bump

it's summer on the Boneyard

Reaction Score
I have always loved Sal's in Old Saybrook. Paesan's is close by but doesn't hold a candle to Sal's. Pizza Palce is also in the area, but is woeful IMO. Not sure if anyone has mentioned any of these because this thread is long in the tooth. Sal's is by far the best I have had except for Pepe's clam pizza. the Pepe's at Mohegan Sun is ok, but not consistent. sometimes it is good, sometimes bad.

Reaction Score
Luna Pizza was amazing - especially when it was in the old Farmington Valley Mall... I can't even tell you how many times I went there after Whalers/Husky games with my Dad... place was unreal.

Reaction Score
I've had roselands more times than I have fingers and toes. It's just not pepes sallys or modern.

Those are the best in the world. Just depends about the night mood and what type if pie you desire

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom