OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 33 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
In St Maarten we stayed at the Westin and took a ride, not too far from the resort and there was a brick over pizza place, open air style and such a cool setting. Some Peroni's and some good pie as it grew dark was really fun with a few people.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...d_Case_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Did you tear it up at the Sunset Beach Bar with the planes landing right there? Cool spot. Also, there was a bar called Bananas. I had a UConn hat on and the owner was an alum. Drank free all night. That whole trip is a blur.

Reaction Score
Did you tear it up at the Sunset Beach Bar with the planes landing right there? Cool spot. Also, there was a bar called Bananas. I had a UConn hat on and the owner was an alum. Drank free all night. That whole trip is a blur.

Yeah Banana's was down by the docks right? Sunset Beach bar was a short walk down the beach and over some rocks? from the hotel I do remember having UConn gear and some people shouting out, we were partying hard with some couples. Those planes were wild when you first saw them coming in, thought for sure we were dead.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm live in New Haven county & love all of the New Haven choices… If you're looking for a take out pie & you're in the area, try Grand Apizza in Bethany (rte 63)… Always order a thin crust… Plain cheese, pepperoni. meatball, sausage & mushrooms, Buffalo chicken, broccoli rab… All good choices… You won't be disappointed…

J-Dog, Pretty sure that is a branch of the very good Grand Apizza in New Haven (Grand Ave.) They have one in Clinton and (soon) Madison too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They are all the same distance. Sally's and Pepe's are two blocks away from each other, and Modern and BAR are within a mile in either direction.
"two doors from each other"
Fixed

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Mike's Apizza in West Haven is solid. Another option to the New Haven places.

My second rule of trying unknown pizza places. If it's spelled APIZZA on the sign, it's much more likely to be good. If that sign is flickering neon, even better.

1st rule, is of course the wood or coal fired oven.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"two doors from each other"
Fixed
"Block-and-a-half" is a plausible fix; "two doors from each other" is not. I might go with "down the street."
Would you believe, less than a block?
Sheesh. It's more than a block, less than two. Depalma Ct. divides them, as does a park, a playground and a few other establishments. "Down the street" would probably have been safest, but I don't think there is a risk of confusion with any of the estimates--except two doors from each other, which is flatly wrong.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Would you believe, less than a block?
Depends on whether or not you calculate by counting the passageway to Chapel Street where the Saturday farmers market is (on the north side of the street where Sally's and Pope's are) as a block; or the 2 streets on the south side (where parking is) that end at Wooster St.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sheesh. It's more than a block, less than two. Depalma Ct. divides them, as does a park, a playground and a few other establishments. "Down the street" would probably have been safest, but I don't think there is a risk of confusion with any of the estimates--except two doors from each other, which is flatly wrong.

Maybe we should just measure the distance in Hilton Units...or agree that we're going to be a little collectively antsy for the next few days, weeks, months, 20 minutes.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
By the way never go to any Colony Grill and ask for diced onions. They'll stare you right in the eyes, spit into your soul, and throw their feces at you like rabid monkeys.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
By the way never go to any Colony Grill and ask for diced onions. They'll stare you right in the eyes, spit into your soul, and throw their feces at you like rabid monkeys.
I learned that every Connecticut pizza joint does the same if you request salami on a pie. Growing up in California it was my favorite. In CT they stared at me like a had a horn growing out of my forehead.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I learned that every Connecticut pizza joint does the same if you request salami on a pie. Growing up in California it was my favorite. In CT they stared at me like a had a horn growing out of my forehead.
Salame piccante is a regular topping option at Bufalina in Guilford. They also presently have a seasonal pizza with wild boar salami. I love them both, and I think speck (which they also offer) is even better.

Reaction Score
Has anyone had Little City Pizza in Simsbury? I've heard good things.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Not sure where I got into it, but one of my favorite pies is white with pastrami and onions. I had a decent pizza place tell me they couldn't make it. I looked at the menu. They had a pastrami grinder on the menu. So I said just give me a white pie with onions and a pastrami grinder. Then I dumped the grinder contents onto the pie and spread it around. brought the pizzamaker a slice and he admitted it was damned good, and he'd probably add it to the menu. Went back a couple months later and it still wasn't on the menu, but at least he would make it for me now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not sure where I got into it, but one of my favorite pies is white with pastrami and onions. I had a decent pizza place tell me they couldn't make it. I looked at the menu. They had a pastrami grinder on the menu. So I said just give me a white pie with onions and a pastrami grinder. Then I dumped the grinder contents onto the pie and spread it around. brought the pizzamaker a slice and he admitted it was damned good, and he'd probably add it to the menu. Went back a couple months later and it still wasn't on the menu, but at least he would make it for me now.

You must have been inspired by Jack:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Has anyone had Little City Pizza in Simsbury? I've heard good things.
Once. No complaints, but wouldn't drive way out of my way to return.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I was joking with my second response. That's why the "would you believe" was there (Maxwell Smart?). No desire to argue the geography

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not sure if it has been mentioned here but Marco's in Branford has an excellent thin crust pizza

Reaction Score
May be mentioned above but if not, Recovery Room in New London has outstanding pizza. It is located right near L & M Hospital.

Reaction Score
Where did you try Colony? The original in Stamford is the best. I get a cheese, hot oil or stinger pizza so I can't really comment on the quality of the other toppings.

I live in Stamford and think Colony is very overrated. I don't understand it. In Stamford, I would recommend Hope Street Pizza (Greek Style). Best Greek Styple pizza in CT though, is Max Pizza in Bristol. That place is a awesome.

If you prefer an Italian pie, then many of the New Haven shops mentioned are great.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Askgreek said:
I live in Stamford and think Colony is very overrated. I don't understand it. In Stamford, I would recommend Hope Street Pizza (Greek Style). Best Greek Styple pizza in CT though, is Max Pizza in Bristol. That place is a awesome. If you prefer an Italian pie, then many of the New Haven shops mentioned are great.

Post/handle for the win!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom