OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 19 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
CA Pizza is mostly awful (just chains), with two exceptions. Tomatina and Pizza My Heart. Both are very good.

I didn't find the seafood in CA any better than in New England, unless you like Asian fusion stuff. I think the Cape has good seafood, if you actually like fish that's been cooked and isn't wrapped around rice. Best shrimp and crab I've had is down in Beaufort, South Carolina, all fresh caught.

There is perfectly good pizza in MA, if more difficult to find than in CT. In particular, the local grinder/pizza places that every town has 2-5 of are much less consistent in MA than they are in CT.

San Francisco does make the best Sourdough. It's the salt air fog.

Where are you talking about good pizza in MA? Not the WesMass part I can tell you......only decent stuff is Greek!!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My top ten
1. Nuzzo's - Madison
2. DaVinci - Deep River
3. Little Rendezvous - Meriden
4. Roberto's - Monroe
5. Pepe's - New Haven
6. Sally's - New Haven
7. Pizza Pub - Essex
8. Luigi's - Old Saybrook
9. Illiano's - Old Lyme
10. Ash Creek - Bridgeport

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My top ten
1. Nuzzo's - Madison
2. DaVinci - Deep River
4. Roberto's - Monroe
5. Pepe's - New Haven
6. Sally's - New Haven
7. Pizza Pub - Ess e x
9. Illiano's - Old Lyme

You don't have Modern Pizza in your 10 ten...for CT? List is suspect.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did you eat in or take out? I find that their pizza in particular does not travel very well. Their pizza box steams the pizza. Eating in is much better imo. Still not New Haven, but good.

For where you are, you're not going to do better than Portofino for takeout.

Have you been to Bufalina in Guilford yet? I've been back a few times since the initial visit I posted about here and it has been consistently great each time. I still think it's right there with the best pizza I've had in New Haven and Italy.

8893, Mrs Dove has to branch out, I guess. We love Portofino's. So we tried Red Tomato and the ride home was 15 minutes. We saw Bufalina one time and swore we would try it and it is next on the list. Then we'll try the "new" joint connected to that golf range on Rt 79.

Now joober has me putting Nuzzo's on the list.

Reaction Score
My top ten
1. Nuzzo's - Madison
2. DaVinci - Deep River
4. Roberto's - Monroe
5. Pepe's - New Haven
6. Sally's - New Haven
7. Pizza Pub - Ess e x
9. Illiano's - Old Lyme

Nice call on Little Rendezvous but you need to have Modern as WestHart said.........but you also gave me a couple new one's to try!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
8893, Mrs Dove has to branch out, I guess. We love Portofino's. So we tried Red Tomato and the ride home was 15 minutes. We saw Bufalina one time and swore we would try it and it is next on the list. Then we'll try the "new" joint connected to that golf range on Rt 79.

Now joober has me putting Nuzzo's on the list.
For Bufalina you'll also want to eat in. It's tiny (11 seats at the counter and one table that seats 2-3), so call ahead a make a reservation or you'll never eat in. It is also BYOB, which is great imo.

Nuzzo's is average at best imo. My kids like it.

The place next to the golf range is decent but inconsistent. Still working out some of the kinks. Very convenient for sure though.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nice call on Little Rendezvous but you need to have Modern as WestHart said.........but you also gave me a couple new one's to try!

I've never been to Modern, I'm embarrassed to say. Maybe this weekend.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
For Bufalina you'll also want to eat in. It's tiny (11 seats at the counter and one table that seats 2-3), so call ahead a make a reservation or you'll never eat in. It is also BYOB, which is great imo.

Nuzzo's is average at best imo. My kids like it.

The place next to the golf range is decent but inconsistent. Still working out some of the kinks. Very convenient for sure though.

Nuzzo's excels at special orders. I like my pizza scorched and they do that quite well. Get a double pepperoni, extra well done and augment that with some Foxon Park birch beer. You will be in paradise.

Reaction Score
Did you eat in or take out? I find that their pizza in particular does not travel very well. Their pizza box steams the pizza. Eating in is much better imo. Still not New Haven, but good.

For where you are, you're not going to do better than Portofino for takeout.

Have you been to Bufalina in Guilford yet? I've been back a few times since the initial visit I posted about here and it has been consistently great each time. I still think it's right there with the best pizza I've had in New Haven and Italy.

Pizza is always better right out of the oven. You need to burn the roof of you mouth to really enjoy the full experience of a delicious pie.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
C'mon, you're in the bay area? You've got plenty of good pizza in SF. This whole idea that California doesn't have good pizza is outdated.

Was in the late 90s. I'm the one who named two good ones wasn't I? The reality is that there are no local mom & pop pizza places at all, so the number of good places is limited. In New England they are everywhere. To be fair there is an excellent Chicago style place in Berkeley as well. Much better than Unos and almost as good as Geno's in Chicago.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Where are you talking about good pizza in MA? Not the WesMass part I can tell you......only decent stuff is Greek!!

There is no good anything in Western MA. I'm talking metro Boston. Plenty of Italians. Lots if the local places in MA and CT are Greek.

Reaction Score

Owner at Little Rendezvous used to be a pizza maker at Verdalini's.

Reaction Score
There is no good anything in Western MA. I'm talking metro Boston. Plenty of Italians. Lots if the local places in MA and CT are Greek.

In my opinion there is no good pizza in Boston outside of Regina, in the North End. And I have looked for nearly twenty years.

Reaction Score
Any of you convicts from the Cheshire area? I keep driving by the new Cliff's pizza across from Town Hall, and there is NEVER ANYONE IN THERE. What's up with that?

Grew up there. Go back from time to time to go to Rossini's - and see my family. Cliff's went out of business way back. I heard the son reopened it. I never liked it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Me and Mau are always inclined to Meriden pizza. Verdolini's was one of the best. Rendezvous doesn't compete, even in its prime.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Love LR's crust. Amazing. But when I discovered them they were using canned mushrooms and peppers. Ughhh.

Reaction Score
Me and Mau are always inclined to Meriden pizza. Verdolini's was one of the best. Rendezvous doesn't compete, even in its prime.

Verdolini's is missed forever........nothing like it. Either the "Spooker" or just a "Plain" with parmesan sprinkled on it after it comes out of the oven......so good! Not exactly NY style or any style just Meriden.........that flood ruined us!! LOL

augie said the new owner of Little Rendezvous is from Verdolini's? Is it the Mazzeralla family (verdolini).........??

Reaction Score
In my opinion there is no good pizza in Boston outside of Regina, in the North End. And I have looked for nearly twenty years.

Ever try Santarpio's in East Boston? I always meant to get there but never did. Now that I moved away I only see the sign as I head to Logan to fly back home. I've heard its great. I like Regina a lot.

Honestly, Bertucci's is pretty tasty and reliable and my kids love it so we always go there when in New England. My wife likes that most locations are clean and she knows what to expect. I would choose Bertucci's over most local Boston pizzas. One place I miss is Newbury Pizza on Newbury St. They changed their name to Bostone's for the last few years they were open. That was a great place to get a slice or two. It's a shame that it closed.

Reaction Score
Any of you convicts from the Cheshire area? I keep driving by the new Cliff's pizza across from Town Hall, and there is NEVER ANYONE IN THERE. What's up with that?

I'm originally from cheshire, I grew up there and never even gave cliffs a thought, usually chose mr. B's rossinis or pop's. For my money though the best pizza is modern in new haven

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Verdolini's is missed forever........nothing like it. Either the "Spooker" or just a "Plain" with parmesan sprinkled on it after it comes out of the oven......so good! Not exactly NY style or any style just Meriden.........that flood ruined us!! LOL

augie said the new owner of Little Rendezvous is from Verdolini's? Is it the Mazzeralla family (verdolini).........??

Haven't heard that one. I thought after the old man Verdolini retired he gave the business to his son/daughter and they ran it straight into the ground. As for Rendezvous, I think the owner worked at Rendezvous all his life haha.

Reaction Score
Has anyone given Anastasio's on Wooster Street a try. We had a big party in August and gave up hope of getting seated in Pepe's. Anastasio's was JUST as good (at least that day) as Modern, Sally's and Pepe's.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ever try Santarpio's in East Boston? I always meant to get there but never did. Now that I moved away I only see the sign as I head to Logan to fly back home. I've heard its great. I like Regina a lot.

Honestly, Bertucci's is pretty tasty and reliable and my kids love it so we always go there when in New England. My wife likes that most locations are clean and she knows what to expect. I would choose Bertucci's over most local Boston pizzas. One place I miss is Newbury Pizza on Newbury St. They changed their name to Bostone's for the last few years they were open. That was a great place to get a slice or two. It's a shame that it closed.

Bertucci's is usually good, but it depends on the store and who made it that day. My family likes the pizza at BBC too, although it's more the Greek style. Two for one on Tuesdays is hard to beat.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Nuzzo's excels at special orders. I like my pizza scorched and they do that quite well. Get a double pepperoni, extra well done and augment that with some Foxon Park birch beer. You will be in paradise.
I love Birch Beer and it compliments pizza somehow. Absolutely can't find it in Cincy.

Reaction Score
I love Birch Beer and it compliments pizza somehow. Absolutely can't find it in Cincy.

I'm a big fan of their Gassosa. Tastes 10x better than 7-Up or Sprite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom