OT - Best NEW SmartPhone? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Best NEW SmartPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
welp... I left Verizon for Sprint (plus 25% employee discount compared to 18% for Verizon)... unlimited everything (1 Smart & 1 Basic)

I selected the Samsung Galaxy S4... still getting familiar with all the bells and whistles!

also used refer a friend... so I got 50.00 (or will be getting 50.00) and my friend will get 50.00

Reaction Score
DaddyChoc said:
welp... I left Verizon for Sprint (plus 25% employee discount compared to 18% for Verizon)... unlimited everything (1 Smart & 1 Basic)

I selected the Samsung Galaxy S4... still getting familiar with all the bells and whistles!

also used refer a friend... so I got 50.00 (or will be getting 50.00) and my friend will get 50.00

Should have waited for the S5. Rumors have it smacking the out of Apples next iPhone offering.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Should have waited for the S5. Rumors have it smacking the out of Apples next iPhone offering.
coming from a "basic" phone (LG Octane) anything smart impresses me

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Actually, the rumors I saw (engadget, BGR) suggested it was no big deal. My phone is free from work, but the downside is I'm stuck with Samsung or Apple at present. Need a new one in the fall, and have to have a bigger screen than my iPhone 5. Let's see what each of them come up with.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
The Samsung will always beat the iPhone on specs. It has to. I'll be curious to see what the price is on the one with the metal body. The plastic one always cost about the same as an iPhone (which has much better build quality).

I refuse to be a whore to Apple's consumer ideology. Itunes can iblowme. I do agree that their ios is more stable than Android, but I think Android is getting better. My S4 is light-years ahead of my HTC EVO.

Reaction Score
besides Apple products

thinking about making the leap from Basic to Smart, trying to avoid the Verizon tiered data plans (currently have unlimted everything on a basic "media" phone).

I hear if I buy my own smartphone (EBay or Amazon) I can stay with my old plan.

suggestions, experiences welcomed :)
If you want a solidly built phone, go with anything from Motorola. Had the Droid Bionic a few years ago, great battery....now I have the Droid Max HD which has the best battery life in the smartphone market, I charge it every 2 1/2 days roughly, depending on usage (talk time, Verizon Navigator, etc), and it too has never dropped a call, even once. Does't have the greatest camera, but it's ok. It bothers me that Samsung and Apple forgot how to build decent cell phone antennas years ago. My wife has the Samsung Galaxy S4, great looking phone, great camera, does some neat things, etc but it drops calls a lot.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you want a solidly built phone, go with anything from Motorola. Had the Droid Bionic a few years ago, great battery....now I have the Droid Max HD which has the best battery life in the smartphone market, I charge it every 2 1/2 days roughly, depending on usage (talk time, Verizon Navigator, etc), and it too has never dropped a call, even once. Does't have the greatest camera, but it's ok. It bothers me that Samsung and Apple forgot how to build decent cell phone antennas years ago. My wife has the Samsung Galaxy S4, great looking phone, great camera, does some neat things, etc but it drops calls a lot.
isnt dropped calls about the service provider not the phone itself.

I was on Verizon before the Smart Phone, now I'm on Sprint with a Galaxy 4s... only because Sprint offered the unlimited everything deal

Reaction Score
isnt dropped calls about the service provider not the phone itself.

I was on Verizon before the Smart Phone, now I'm on Sprint with a Galaxy 4s... only because Sprint offered the unlimited everything deal
Your phone is a radio receiver and transmitter (brain cancer!!!!... Aagh!!!... just kidding) with an antenna inside it, not a magic box with buttons on it, so to answer your question, no, not at all. It's a combination of the two. You can have 5 bars and a rock solid network signal, but if you have a crappy antenna inside your phone you could still drop a call and if that crappy antenna cannot pull in a weak signal you will drop a lot of calls or at the very least experience more break up than the next guy. That's just for the antenna, your phone could also drop calls and be at fault because of faulty electronics or embedded software in the phone. For example when Samsung first came out with the first 4G phones, the people who bought them experienced a lot of dropped calls when the phone would move from a 3G network to a 4G network. It would think there was no service instead of cleanly switching to the other network. It was a switching problem internal to the phones electronics and/or embedded software. Of course they fixed the problem. My wife had the Galaxy S3 and went through that exact problem, she had a 30% dropped call rate where she worked, so Samsung kept giving her a replacement until on her 3rd phone, they admitted that there was an internal switching issue when experiencing a weak signal. So Verizon gave her her choice of a different brand smart phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom