OT: Best Ice Cream in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Ice Cream in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That DQ in Old Saybrook is too busy. Ever get stuck behind a little league team there? It can get quite vicious.

Collins Creamery in Enfield deserves to be mentioned if only for having the balls to name a flavor Collins Compost. You can see cows but I never seen any slaughtered while waiting in line.

MrP

Reaction Score
Peaches n' cream is amazing (as is Da Capo across the street for Italian-American cuisine)

When I was at QU I frequented Ashley's and Wentworth's, and preferred Ashley's (lemon pie ice cream in a waffle cone hnngggg)

Im embarrassed to admit that in 4.5 years at UConn I never went to the dairy bar. It's on my to do list this summer

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
The Big Dipper in Prospect gets my vote. It'll make ya go fetal on the couch sucking your thumb from lactose over indulgence.

Reaction Score
Im embarrassed to admit that in 4.5 years at UConn I never went to the dairy bar. It's on my to do list this summer

It's funny, whenever I visited my older bro and sister at UConn going to the Dairy Bar was a necessity. Then I went to UConn for 4.5 years like you and never once really even thought about it. I was too busy destroying my body/mind in other ways.

Reaction Score
Ferris Acres Creamery in Newtown and it's not even close. Dairy Queen is cr@p compared to that place. Even in thunderstorms they had lines of people buying their ice cream. Across the street their cows graze in open field, far away you could see deer. Views out of a painting. The place is beautiful and their ice cream is second to none. Best ice cream I have ever had. Their dark chocolate espresso would make dairy queen chocolate taste like vanilla. It's worth a drive.

Reaction Score
Sweet Claude's in Cheshire, especially the black cherry. The place mentioned above in Mystic is good, too. Wentworth's uses a TON of food coloring and that's unnecessary and frankly kinda gross. Pralines is also good, especially the banana.

I still miss the Abbot's frozen custard we used to get in western NY. Ice cream is best when it's bad for you. Gelato is inferior to American ice cream for that very reason.

Reaction Score
Michaels in NL is now operated by the Mitchell College student enterprize program, but ice creme manufacturing is still overseen by the Buscetto family with their original recipes. I haven't been there in years, but the old original Michaels was fantastic! Has anyone tried recently?

Reaction Score
It wasn't necessary to go to the Dairy Bar that often at school because the ice cream was there in unlimited quantities in the cafeterias. I ate a buttload of ice cream my two years on campus.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Rich's farm in Oxford/Southbury is incredible.

Reaction Score
Sweet Claude's in Cheshire. I have never had better anywhere in the world, and a mudpie flavor that may be the single greatest ice cream ever. My son has issues with dairy and we buy him quarts of their toffutti, which is amazing given its limitations.

Reaction Score
1) Buttonwood Farm in Griswold. Just trust me on this one.

Large gap (massive, cavernous gap)

2) Rich Farm
3) Sweet Claude's
4) Dairy Bar
5) Mystic Drawbridge

Reaction Score
came in here to post about sweet claude's, as well! it's also right up the road from wentworth's in hamden -- definitely another childhood favorite. plus, both shops are a stone's throw from sleeping giant, which makes for kind of a perfect summer afternoon.

my brother made ice cream in the dairy processing plant at uconn, so i will throw the dairy bar out there too!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It wasn't necessary to go to the Dairy Bar that often at school because the ice cream was there in unlimited quantities in the cafeterias. I ate a buttload of ice cream my two years on campus.
Upon observing the widespread addition of the "freshman 15" (and then some), a friend of mine suggested that they should put a full length mirror in the ice cream area of the cafeteria so students could see themselves while scooping it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sweet Claude's in Cheshire, especially the black cherry. The place mentioned above in Mystic is good, too. Wentworth's uses a TON of food coloring and that's unnecessary and frankly kinda gross. Pralines is also good, especially the banana.

I still miss the Abbot's frozen custard we used to get in western NY. Ice cream is best when it's bad for you. Gelato is inferior to American ice cream for that very reason.
Hmmm...never heard that about Wentworth's before, and it's disappointing if true.

I haven't been there in years and the only thing I went there for was their peach ice cream, made with fresh local peaches, and only when in season. Didn't note any food coloring in that, and it would kind of run counter to the whole idea of using only fresh peaches.

I definitely have my flavor preferences at each place. For Ashley's it's pumpkin or cinnamon. For Brickley's it's ginger or malted milk balls.

I'm a sucker for good coconut ice cream or gelato wherever I can get it, even better if dark chocolate is also an option and I can do 1/2 and 1/2.

I disagree that gelato is inferior to American ice cream, but I've yet to have gelato in this country that has been as good as about a dozen places I had it Italy, and I have no idea why that is.

Reaction Score
Upon observing the widespread addition of the "freshman 15" (and then some), a friend of mine suggested that they should put a full length mirror in the ice cream area of the cafeteria so students could see themselves while scooping it.

In Alumni, one student (who was doing cartoons for the Daily Campus) drew up a sign and taped it near the ice cream. It read "Ladies, think twice -- a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips . . . "

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In Alumni, one student (who was doing cartoons for the Daily Campus) drew up a sign and taped it near the ice cream. It read "Ladies, think twice -- a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips . . . "
Ha! The conversation I referenced took place in Ryan Refectory as well. My buddy was also referring to the women, but as I was also guilty I didn't want to so limit it in my reference.

Reaction Score

I live in Boston, and some brilliant superhero of a woman moved from Rochester to my neighborhood, and she and her husband opened up an Abbot's. My dad's family is from there originally, so whenever my cousins come to visit, the #1 requirement is that we hit up Abbot's at some point. It's amazing. Literally a 10-minute walk from my front door.

Reaction Score
I live in Boston, and some brilliant superhero of a woman moved from Rochester to my neighborhood, and she and her husband opened up an Abbot's. My dad's family is from there originally, so whenever my cousins come to visit, the #1 requirement is that we hit up Abbot's at some point. It's amazing. Literally a 10-minute walk from my front door.
Lucky dog!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If you're in the Simsbury area, may I suggest Grass Roots Creamery just over the line in Granby. All natural ingredients, really creative flavors and they don't slaughter cute, innocent cows like the Tulmeadow Butchery.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/grass-roots-ice-cream-granby

I can recommend the Mexican Dark Chocolate, Cannoli and Salted Caramel flavors.
Had last night, the Mexican Dark Chocolate (cinnamon, clove and heat in there somewhere) is fantastic. My wife had Rose Chocolate which was also unique and great.

Reaction Score
wentworths, no clue what food coloring youre talking about. My vanilla is white and my chocolate is brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom