OT: Best Ice Cream in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Ice Cream in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We need to get you some help.

Coming from a guy who brings Stalin into a thread about ice cream, I'll take that as a compliment.

I was going to start a thread about puppies to see how long it took you to mention Pol Pot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You might be on to something.

I actually spent five or six minutes deliberating in my head about the possible ramifications of introducing Nazis into a thread about ice cream. In the end, I went with the softer, fuzzier Josef Stalin to avoid offending anyone.

Pol Pot was my second choice.

Reaction Score
Pol Pot tends to be my standard go to when I need a gratuitous mass-murderer reference. His name sounds the funniest. But if Ya-Ya Dia or God Shammgod ever become genocidal maniacs, we'll reconsider.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Southington, Plainville, East Hartford, Berlin, Newington, Portland, Clinton just off the top of my head.

Add Manchester, perhaps the busiest DQ in New England. And a brand-new DQ just opened in S. Windsor.

Reaction Score
Family run DQ in Old Saybrook

IMO, best DQ is in Niantic! You would think the ice cream and hot fudge would all taste the same.... You would be wrong. I live 10 mins from the OS DQ and still make my way to Niantic when I have the urge for a Peanut Buster Parfait. I do give Old Saybrook props for only hiring hot college chix though.... Seems like a discrimination suit waiting to happen, but I'm still a fan....

Reaction Score
Two other favorites of mine are Mystic Drawbridge Ice cream, and Old Lyme Ice Cream Shop (not to be confused with Hallmarks, which recently sold out to AC Petersons and sucks now BTW). Try the "mystic mud" in Mystic, it's pretty bad azzzz.......

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Two other favorites of mine are Mystic Drawbridge Ice cream, and Old Lyme Ice Cream Shop (not to be confused with Hallmarks, which recently sold out to AC Petersons and sucks now BTW). Try the "mystic mud" in Mystic, it's pretty bad azzzz.......
That Old Lyme Shop and some place at a sunflower farm in Griswold or other godforsaken town both gave me sticker shock.

Reaction Score
That Old Lyme Shop and some place at a sunflower farm in Griswold or other godforsaken town both gave me sticker shock.
Buttonwood Farms $$$
Seems all the DQ's I've been to or seen appear to do very well! Think the one in Groton closes for Dec. and Jan. and opens back up in Feb. when ownership gets back from Fla.

Reaction Score
Michael's Dairy in NL. However, I've been told that it's nose-dived with new mgmt yrs ago.

Reaction Score

Hallmarks was my first job and I worked there for 5 years. The ice cream was delicious, albeit expensive. After the original owners sold it ~2002 it started to go downhill while the price tag continued to go up. Haven't been to the newest incarnation but it's insane how much they charge just for an ice cream cone let alone something more exotic.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As there are no Carvels out here in Pittsburgh, I'm mildly disappointed there wasn't a single mention of Fudgie the Whale in this thread.

Reaction Score
Drive to Newport and go to Kilwin's. Hands down best ice cream in country and closest one to CT.

Reaction Score
Growing up in Enfield it was Smyths Soft Serve for us. I haven't been back in years but I think its still there.

Reaction Score
Drive to Newport and go to Kilwin's. Hands down best ice cream in country and closest one to CT.

I lost a bet once and had the good fortune of having to eat 100 Kilwin salt water taffy chews in less than 45 minutes. The toasted coconut chews are out of this world and sweeter than a Kemba cross over against Gary McGee at MSG.

For ice cream I have to still go with the freshly made onsite ice cream produced from the freshly milked and happy dairy cows at Tulmeadow Farms in the great state of Connecticut. Something tells me Kilwin would give Tulmeadow a run for their $!

Reaction Score
Mystic drawbridge i/c, while high on scenery, excells in little less than encouraging the quick step dance on the way to the crapper. Do they actually put milk in that stuff?

If you like the Mystic Bridge, stick with the beer of the same name and you will not go wrong.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I lost a bet once and had the good fortune of having to eat 100 Kilwin salt water taffy chews in less than 45 minutes.

Sounds like you were fortunate. I had a buddy who lost a similar bet except it involved circus peanuts. That was ugly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like we've gotten too far beyond the Dairy Bar. Let's acknowledge that as the best and get thoughts on next-best ice cream in CT, especially for those of us not within easy range of Storrs.

I'm going with Ashley's, followed by Wentworth's and Sweet Claude's.

Also a big fan of Brickley's in Rhode Island.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
2 excellent dairy farm/ice cream stands I tried last year are Collins Creamery in Enfield and Ferris Farms in Newtown.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Arethusa Farm Dairy in Bantam edges out Rich Farm imo.
Ooo yes, totally forgot them. Only 6 flavors at a time. Beautiful farm up the road on Rte 63 in Litchfield, also. And designer cheese.

Reaction Score
Couldn't find previous posts but its summer now and I'm hot. All ice cream ain't ice cream and I scream for ice cream. Also its something everyone can afford. Hell, italian ice is fine.

So as we travel around the state, please tell me you got somewhere better than these: Linky

However, Timothy's in Black Rock is great.
Wentworths. on rte 10 in cheshire. creamy, huge portions.

Reaction Score
If you're in the Simsbury area, may I suggest Grass Roots Creamery just over the line in Granby. All natural ingredients, really creative flavors and they don't slaughter cute, innocent cows like the Tulmeadow Butchery.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/grass-roots-ice-cream-granby

I can recommend the Mexican Dark Chocolate, Cannoli and Salted Caramel flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom