OT: Beach hotel in New England for short getaway? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Beach hotel in New England for short getaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I got to the same place 2-3 times a year. In fact, I'm going again tomorrow. It's the Seacrest Resort Hotel in Falmouth. It has a fantastic private beach, facing west, for amazing sunsets. The water is Buzzards Bay, so pretty warm. The hotel has been updated (but isn't any 4 star level hotel or anything). It has a nice sports bar, outdoor bar, ourdoor pool (salt water), indoor pool, small arcade & ice cream shop for kids. You don't need towels, as you can get them there, trade wet for dry all day long. Chairs and umbrellas provided. The bar gets pretty hoppin' and they often have live music by the pool and outdoor bar in the afternoons. They will bring you drinks to you spot on the beach, and some food as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sea Crest Beach Hotel in Falmouth, MA. Was just there for a conference and it's been redone. Liked it and the town has plenty of things to do.

We gave up renting for the week when we found this place. Two long weekends (or 3) costs the same and is a better experience.

Reaction Score
Newport Gulls baseball games are great.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Personal favorite of our family. We have been staying at The Anchor Motel for the last 7 years. It's nothing fancy, 13 rooms; with a small refrigerator, Wifi, and cable TV. The owners are always on the property and keep the rooms very clean. My kids love it there. A short walk across the street to either a private beach or the Scarborough State Beach makes it easy with kids.....no driving. The waves are great for boogie boarding, body surfing, and the private beach is great fro skim boarding. If you have little ones, Roger Wheeler State Beach is a short drive away, and has a playground and no waves. There are some great delis and restaurants in the area. If you go, you have to try Crazy Burger (It was featured on Food Network's, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.). It's a funky joint with some great burgers. They also serve breakfast. The downside is that it is located right on the corner of the two roads that lead to the state beach. So, there is traffic noise at night, but just ask for a room closer to the office. You'll also have to take a 20-minute ride to Brickley's Ice Cream Shop.
+1 on Crazy Burger and Brickley's (ginger ice cream; malted milk ball ice cream; black raspberry chip yogurt). Also recommend the Mews, right up the street from Brickley's, for good beer selection (69 taps) and totally family friendly huge pub with tons of screens and decent menu to please all tastes.

Ocean Mist in Matunuck is a must for breakfast on Saturday or Sunday; or for lunch other times (live music nightly, too, but I'm guessing that's out for you). If you go for breakfast make sure someone gets the Crabby Benny. Their bloodies also rock.

Matunuck Oyster Bar is a great spot but wayyyyy too crowded at almost all times these days; a new place just opened in South Kingstown called Two Ten Oyster Bar, which is right on the water and also very good. We went without kids but I wouldn't hesitate to bring them there. Very large and accommodating place, and the oysters were excellent, as were the mains; I wouldn't recommend the calamari though.

If you need a new boogie board, Warm Winds in Narraganset has a great supply; Matunuck Surf Shop also very good.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. We just booked the Seacrest in Falmouth from @HuskyHawk 's post. Many of the recommended hotels/locations looked great, some were booked solid through Labor Day and others were pretty pricey. I can't fathom paying $800+ a night for a NE beach hotel - if I'm going to spend that much I'd rather just fly down to clearwater beach for the same overall price but better beach and weather. I do want to note that the per night price was $100 cheaper when I called versus booking on their website.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. We just booked the Seacrest in Falmouth from @HuskyHawk 's post. Many of the recommended hotels/locations looked great, some were booked solid through Labor Day and others were pretty pricey. I can't fathom paying $800+ a night for a NE beach hotel - if I'm going to spend that much I'd rather just fly down to clearwater beach for the same overall price but better beach and weather. I do want to note that the per night price was $100 cheaper when I called versus booking on their website.
If your kids are pretty young Old Silver Beach is fantastic. We spent several summers at time shares and rentals in Falmouth, great town with access to Woods Hole, ferrys to the islands, nice little center with shops and restaurants. And an easier ride from CT than most of the Cape.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I hope you enjoy it. I just got back. One tip, get up early in the morning, and head to the beach (7:30-8:00). Bring some goggles, small beach pail shovels and the like, enough for the number of chairs you need. Have the staff set up some chairs for you, and umbrellas as needed, right on the high tide line. Then put something to mark them in each chair. Now you can take your time and know you've got a great spot on the front row. With kids, it helps you keep an eye on them.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I hope you enjoy it. I just got back. One tip, get up early in the morning, and head to the beach (7:30-8:00). Bring some goggles, small beach pail shovels and the like, enough for the number of chairs you need. Have the staff set up some chairs for you, and umbrellas as needed, right on the high tide line. Then put something to mark them in each chair. Now you can take your time and know you've got a great spot on the front row. With kids, it helps you keep an eye on them.
Thanks, will do. Any restaurant recommendations? We just need a place that doesn't cringe when you ask for a high chair... :D

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks, will do. Any restaurant recommendations? We just need a place that doesn't cringe when you ask for a high chair... :D

There are lots of them in Falmouth...downtown Falmouth can be pretty busy in the summer, especially on weekends. There is a nice, casual on-site restaurant with nice ocean views, but it's over-priced a bit. There is a nice, higher end Mexican restaurant in the center of town, love the food. On a weeknight it should be kid friendly, too crowded on a weekend. British Beer Company is one of my local favorites in my town of Franklin, MA. There is one in Falmouth now too. Very kid friendly, with some nice beer selections for dad, and good pub food. This place is close to the hotel, and family friendly, but I've never eaten there. Locals do. Trip Advisor has 149 restaurants, just in Falmouth, so there are lots of choices. There is a burger pizza joint just up RT 28A at the intersection of 151 (RT 151 Drive In). Deans Market near that same intersection has a deli and is a nice small local grocery store. This place looks awesome for something close to New Haven style.

Reaction Score
Ocean Mist in Matunuck is a must for breakfast on Saturday or Sunday; or for lunch other times (live music nightly, too, but I'm guessing that's out for you). If you go for breakfast make sure someone gets the Crabby Benny. Their bloodies also rock.

i remember going here back when it was called Carpenters, of course i was 16 at the time. 50 now. then next door at Joyces irish pub to play a game of flash on the bowling machine. nice easy walk back to my godparents cottage right on matunuck beach road . those were the days :)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Betsy's Diner on Main Street is right near a Dairy Queen, both great for small kids.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Block island, I'll be their from the 2nd to 10th if anyone wants to talk Uconn football. Drinks on me at the Oar.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Thanks for the advice, folks. Vacation was a lot of fun. Sea Crest is a great spot if you're looking for a beach hotel with a lot of conveniences. Indoor pool, outdoor pool, kiddie pool, hot tub. The on-site restaurant was more than sufficient for lunch each day and there was a coffee shop, ice cream shop and an outdoor bar. Downtown Falmouth was worth an evening as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks for the advice, folks. Vacation was a lot of fun. Sea Crest is a great spot if you're looking for a beach hotel with a lot of conveniences. Indoor pool, outdoor pool, kiddie pool, hot tub. The on-site restaurant was more than sufficient for lunch each day and there was a coffee shop, ice cream shop and an outdoor bar. Downtown Falmouth was worth an evening as well.

Glad you liked it. I plan to head there again for Labor Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom