OT: Arizona should be better | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Arizona should be better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you think Sean Miller is underachieving, you must've thought Jim Calhoun was throwing away final fours for ten years.
It's unbelievable what our 2009-2014 run (3 FF, 2 titles)--and UK's 2010-2015 run (1 title, 4 FF, 1 E8)--has done to some people's perspective.

If Arizona were in the East, they're getting ready to play Duke/Gonzaga. Instead, they were in Wisconsin's bracket--and had a great game against a team that shot 12-18 from 3. You could leave some players open and they wouldn't shoot that.

Arizona was absolutely one of the 3-5 best teams in the country. Sometimes those teams don't make the Final Four and it has little to do with a coach's skill.

Reaction Score
Zona is pretty much UNC-West. They always get high profile recruits, always have the individual talent but never seem to have the toughness or defensive prowess to live up to their potential.
They are actually the exact opposite of UNC in terms of toughness and defense.

Hard to imagine that you have watched a Zona game in the last 2 years if this what you think.

Reaction Score
Miller gets an awful lot of talent. That's where I would differentiate him from Calhoun pre 99'. Arizona is an easy place to recruit to and always has been. I think he will win a title over the next 3-5 years and that will end any negative talk. However, it is to be expected with the classes he gets that people will expect serious results.

Reaction Score
Miller gets an awful lot of talent. That's where I would differentiate him from Calhoun pre 99'. Arizona is an easy place to recruit to and always has been. I think he will win a title over the next 3-5 years and that will end any negative talk. However, it is to be expected with the classes he gets that people will expect serious results.
List the first round draft picks Miller has had Zona compared to Calhoun's pre 99.

Calhoun had a lot more NBA players.

People do not seem to have much or any knowledge of Zona basketball but they sure do have a lot of opinions about how they are underachieving under Miller.

Reaction Score
I think this is the view that catches recruits' eyes

6af3b9353c992ddb6611c1507d02f009.png

And this is from an 8am Economics 101 class.

Reaction Score
List the first round draft picks Miller has had Zona compared to Calhoun's pre 99.

Calhoun had a lot more NBA players.

People do not seem to have much or any knowledge of Zona basketball but they sure do have a lot of opinions about how they are underachieving under Miller.

JC made a lot more NBA players they didn't come in "destined to be" like many of the players that Miller has had go to Zona. Not sure where I can find the list of recruits Miller has gotten but they get some very high profile recruits form the minute he took the job. For some reason not all that many are getting a ton better.

Reaction Score
So they were "easily" better than UConn in 2011?

I guess Calhoun was bum until 1999 too.

Cause just win right?

I think on paper, beginning of the year - yes! Paper doesn't win I get it, but even as UConn fans we can be honest with ourselves. That was a real good team Zona had, JC outcoached him and had Kemba.

Reaction Score
JC made a lot more NBA players they didn't come in "destined to be" like many of the players that Miller has had go to Zona. Not sure where I can find the list of recruits Miller has gotten but they get some very high profile recruits form the minute he took the job. For some reason not all that many are getting a ton better.
Ray Allen, Donyell Marshall, El-Amin and Richard Hamilton, all big time recruits who stayed at least 3 years. Calhoun had other

Miller has gotten some great recruits, Stanley Johnson, 1 and done, Gordon, 1 and done, Jarrett one and done.

Ashley and Tarz are some of the only ones who have stayed around. Ashley got hurt last year.

Again, If Miller is an underachiever so was Calhoun, you cannot have it both ways.

Reaction Score
I think on paper, beginning of the year - yes! Paper doesn't win I get it, but even as UConn fans we can be honest with ourselves. That was a real good team Zona had, JC outcoached him and had Kemba.
Going into the 2010-11 season they were not ranked. They had fewer AP votes than us, and had more coaches poll votes than us.

They weren't thought of any more highly as we were. Roughly even going into the season. Yet we met in the E8 and they were a very-makable, I-still-can't-believe-it-didn't-go-in shot to win the game. And if through us, probably a title.

Reaction Score
Zona started the year unranked that season but okay, they were suppose to be great at the start of the season, sure.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen, Donyell Marshall, El-Amin and Richard Hamilton, all big time recruits who stayed at least 3 years. Calhoun had other

Miller has gotten some great recruits, Stanley Johnson, 1 and done, Gordon, 1 and done, Jarrett one and done.

Ashley and Tarz are some of the only ones who have stayed around. Ashley got hurt last year.

Again, If Miller is an underachiever so was Calhoun, you cannot have it both ways.

I'm done. He's gotten "more" better players than JC did and I know JC won 3 titles. I really can have it both ways I wish to don't need anyone's permission! ;)

Reaction Score
Zona started the year unranked that season but okay, they were suppose to be great at the start of the season, sure.

I should have said going into the game, my bad. I really admit to not knowing how good they were early and could care less. They were better in every position other than Kemba going in.

Reaction Score
I should have said going into the game, my bad. I really admit to not knowing how good they were early and could care less. They were better in every position other than Kemba going in.
This may be the most incorrect statement you have made yet.

One team had 4 NBA picks on it, one had 2.

Keeping digging though.

Reaction Score
This may be the most incorrect statement you have made yet.

One team had 4 NBA picks on it, one had 2.

Keeping digging though.

NBA picks Jerry? Who's digging? Name them and tell me where they were THAT year according to the NBA? Tell me in 2012 which one's were playing in the NBA? Which 4 from UConn? Need to know

Reaction Score
NBA picks Jerry? Who's digging? Name them and tell me where they were THAT year according to the NBA? Tell me in 2012 which one's were playing in the NBA? Which 4 from UConn? Need to know
Mau, there is this thing called Google, if you used it you would not have made so many ridiculous incorrect statements in this discussion. Please try to use it.

You are going to tell me Kyle Fogg is better than the 2012 lottery pick Jeremy Lamb?

Jesse Perry is better than 2012 2nd pick AO?

Jordin Mayes was better than Shabazz Napier?

That Zona team had 2 decent players, Momo Jones and Derrick Williams thats it.

Reaction Score
I will say that if he doesn't make a final four in the next 3 years it's on him. He's stockpiled talent lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom