OT: Arizona should be better | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Arizona should be better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also when I made this thread, it was due to the way they play. Had nothing to do with Wisconsin. I actually put money on Wisconsin to win, so I expected this outcome. Also my prediction of Notre Dame is half way home. Put money on them also and picked them to upset Kentucky in my bracket and win it all. Oh and just so everyone knows.......I can't stand Notre Dame. I just felt they had the best tourney team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
anyone who does not think Sean Miller is a very good coach is an idiot.

Sean Miller has had 1 team lose to a seed worse than his in the tournament in his entire career, and that was last year losing as a 1 to the 2 seed.

Wow that's strong
Once you are 1 thru 4 seed (with exception to Kensucky this year) the talent level is basically on a par so losing to a lower seed like 4 beating 2 is really not a big deal
He's a good coach but has seen to do some questionable things in the big games

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Sean Miller needs to recruit a couple guys that can make shots. You can have all the athletes you want, but if you want to win in March you need someone that can make a key shot in a key situation if he isn't an athletic freak. Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson, Ashley are all long and athletic, but can't consistently shoot. That's key in pressure games like the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
Bingo
Sean Miller needs to recruit a couple guys that can make shots. You can have all the athletes you want, but if you want to win in March you need someone that can make a key shot in a key situation if he isn't an athletic freak. Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson, Ashley are all long and athletic, but can't consistently shoot. That's key in pressure games like the Elite 8.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
No I meant what I said. I actually like miller but his teams have been kinda under performing. Tj McConnell.....May be spelled wrong.... Did not make
good decisions in any of the games I watched. His shot is awkward. I like gabe York and Stanley Johnson. Everyone else is over rated, but still have time to get better if they don't do what Arizona players do.leave to soon.

I really wouldnt say this team under performed though... They were out matched in this game.. Frank, a senior, went to work and wisi saw the biggest hoop today and even if they werent draining all those threes they still can find ways to score. Arizona is a good team but they depend on a freshman for being their consistent x factor, honestly he did an amazing job this year but still im taking seniority/experience over a stud freshman....And tarczewski just cant hang inside with skilled quicker bigs

Reaction Score
They were half an inch away from beating the eventual national champions and getting to the final four in 2011. Last year his team lost in OT in the elite 8. He took Xavier to an elite 8 and took Zona there this year. He is also only 46 so he has 25-30 more chances.

Fire Sean Miller!

Reaction Score
Decker is very impressive. Does he remind anyone else of Keith Van Horn?

He's a very much a KVH clone, in look & game. I think Dekker has a better handle, but KVH had a better post game, but I've had similar thoughts. Both smart, great shooters, versatile & knows what it takes to win. Dekker is an NBA player.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
He's a very much a KVH clone, in look & game. I think Dekker has a better handle, but KVH had a better post game, but I've had similar thoughts. Both smart, great shooters, versatile & knows what it takes to win. Dekker is an NBA player.
Is he smart tho? Kind of has a little gronk in him I think haha

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Wow that's strong
Once you are 1 thru 4 seed (with exception to Kensucky this year) the talent level is basically on a par so losing to a lower seed like 4 beating 2 is really not a big deal
He's a good coach but has seen to do some questionable things in the big games

Yeah, like today when he goes to a full court press with over five minutes left in a game that was hovering in the 8-10 point range. Oh, and almost his whole starting five had four fouls already. Needless to say, one of them fouled out with a few minutes left. Then in the last minute down only five, nobody fouls anybody and they let Wisconsin run out the clock. Was this the Calipari strategy from the champ. game last season?

"We didn't foul because UCONN always makes their foul shots." - John "The Squid" Calipari, April, 2014

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Wisconsin to win it all. But if I have to see that poser Cal grad Aaron Rogers rooting on the Badgers in the FF I might throw something through the TV.

Between him and Ashley Judd...

Ashley Judd may sue you, so be careful in what you say :)

I will root for Wisconsin to win it all as they are a senior laden team and play team ball very well.

Reaction Score
If I'm Arizona I'm pissed at 'Nova. Their paper tiger season forced Arizona into a path of Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Duke if they want to win it all, which is just crazy especially when compared to the East region.
A UK/Wisconsin and Arizona/Duke FF would potentially be one of the best ever, and Villanova stole that from us.

Reaction Score
Man, you guys are crazy. Miller hasn't been at Arizona that long. In his time there:

2011 they were a 5 seed, destroyed Duke and lost in the E8...barely. Let's not forget how terrifying that last 3 was...

2012, they didn't make the NCAAs.

2013 they made the S16 as a 6 seed.

2014 they were 1-seed who lost to a 2-seed on a controversial travel in the E8.

This year they were a 2 seed who lost to a 1 in the E8.

They've played to seed or better literally every single time they've made the tournament.

Reaction Score
And he recruits at probably the second highest level (to UK) in college basketball.

It helps to have a beautiful campus in your toolbox:

Uofa.jpg

Reaction Score
Sean Miller recruits well and his teams are pretty good. But underachievers thus far a lot so he is the perfect replacement for Lute Olsen as nothing has changed. Archie may turn out to be the better coach!

Reaction Score
Is there a "Love" button rather than "Like"?

RocktheWorld deserves one ;)

Reaction Score
2 shots go in instead of rim out and Miller has 2 FFs in 5 years. I guess for some people 2 shots are what makes a coach good or not...

Maybe or maybe they should have not been in that position because they were easily the better team? Again, just win.

Reaction Score
Maybe or maybe they should have not been in that position because they were easily the better team? Again, just win.
Were they easily the better team in 2011?

Or easily the better team last year? I mean, Wisconsin has now taken almost the same exact team back to the Final Four that went last year. So I'm not convinced that Arizona was easily the better team.

Again, 4 NCAA tournament runs, 3 Elite 8s--all were close--and 1 Sweet 16 loss as a 6 seed to 2 seed Ohio State on a last second 3 from LaQuinton Ross (2 seconds left...but still).

They've never once laid an egg out there, and every time they've gotten in they've made runs.

Reaction Score
It's obvious that Miller is a very good, maybe great coach, and is not a point worth arguing. He may not be a brilliant offensive mastermind, but neither is KO. His main issue the past two years has been roster composition. You can have all the 5 stars in the world, but if you can't shoot, you're in trouble.

Reaction Score
So they were "easily" better than UConn in 2011?

I guess Calhoun was bum until 1999 too.

Cause just win right?

Reaction Score
Zona is pretty much UNC-West. They always get high profile recruits, always have the individual talent but never seem to have the toughness or defensive prowess to live up to their potential.

Reaction Score
Zona is pretty much UNC-West. They always get high profile recruits, always have the individual talent but never seem to have the toughness or defensive prowess to live up to their potential.

This year defensive prowess was their greatest strength. Last year they were great defensively too. Both years they were undone because they couldnt shoot

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you think Sean Miller is underachieving, you must've thought Jim Calhoun was throwing away final fours for ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom