OT: Amazon Cell Phone | The Boneyard

OT: Amazon Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to be in the market for a new phone, it's either goiing to be an android, google or maybe the new amazon, if it gets good reviews.

Any techies know anything about the new amazon phone?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm going to be in the market for a new phone, it's either goiing to be an android, google or maybe the new amazon, if it gets good reviews.

What will it be used for?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily bet on amazons first phone. They gave their own OS and don't know if their first attempt at a phone will be great.

Android has a great interface and usability. Either a Nexus (GOOGLE) or Android phone would be great. Nexus doesn't have all the bloat ware that other androids have. I have a samsung GS3, but am almost due for an upgrade. I will be looking at either a GS5 or a Galaxy Note 3 or 4. Have had android for 5 years and it's been great.

If I can answer any questions, I will try.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Amazon phone is a glorified store credit card. Never get 1st generation of an tech product. Yeah, it could work out, but wait until they have all the bugs worked out (gen 2 or 3) imo.

Holding out for the LG G3. That thing looks dominant (and feels it from what I've tested). Only knock is that they force you to get the 32gb version to get 3gb of RAM (16gb phone only has 2gb RAM).

I just need to be able to pick it up unlocked and carrier free. And can't order the Euro version because it doesn't support 4G in the States.

Reaction Score
I bought the LG G3 about a week ago. It is my favorite device of any kind that I've ever owned. The screen is stunning, it takes great pictures (the flash is seriously almost too bright, it makes pictures taken at night look like they were taken at noon), and the battery life is pretty decent.

Also, Google Now. Holy . That's what Siri wants to be when she grows up.

Reaction Score

Living in Seattle Ive seen a bunch of test beds around and they are very nice although not ground breaking imo. I would be very surprised however if they were anywhere near as glitchy as most oem's 1st gens tend to be. Its an android at its so core so itll end up being up to the user to download or delete something to blow it up and need a factory reboot.

Reaction Score
LG G3 looks nice.
Newer but cheaper than GS5.

I had the Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 and bought my wife the S5.
Picked up the LG G3 last week and it is spectacular.

Personally, I would avoid the Amazon phone. Amazon's core business is not as a cell phone manufacturer. They know retail, I don't think they know manufacturing.

Reaction Score
I bought my girlfriend the S5 as a temp replacement for her lost Note 3 until the Note 4 is released in Sept. She liked it so much she decided it's her perm phone. I have been using a Nexus 4 for awhile but battery life is poor - i am also tempted by the Nexus 5, S5, HTC M8 and LG G3 but I may keep the Nexus 4 awhile longer if Android L improves battery life.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm waiting until the S6.

When cell phones first became vogue, I didn't get one for about 5 years because I kept waiting for the next model. Not even kidding.

Reaction Score
I realize the Galaxy S line is the one everyone knows, but I really would urge anyone in the market to try the G3. It's a ridiculously great phone.

Also not sure if they're still running the deal but I upgraded at Best Buy Mobile rather than at the AT&T store itself, and they gave me $100 off the upgrade price, plus $50 in free accessories. So I got the G3 for $99 which is nuts, and a case and car charger for free.

Edit: Checked their site and they're still doing it.

www.bestbuymobile.com

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I realize the Galaxy S line is the one everyone knows, but I really would urge anyone in the market to try the G3. It's a ridiculously great phone.

Also not sure if they're still running the deal but I upgraded at Best Buy Mobile rather than at the AT&T store itself, and they gave me $100 off the upgrade price, plus $50 in free accessories. So I got the G3 for $99 which is nuts, and a case and car charger for free.

Edit: Checked their site and they're still doing it.

www.bestbuymobile.com

AT&T version doesn't natively support wireless charging though, right? It requires a specific case or something.

Not a knock on you, just asking.

Reaction Score
Wireless charging is available on all carrier versions of the G3 but you have to buy additional accessories. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint support Qi wireless charging. AT&T supports PMA wireless charging. Qi seems to be establishing itself as the defacto standard though Starbucks says they'll offer PMA in their shops.

Reaction Score
AT&T version doesn't natively support wireless charging though, right? It requires a specific case or something.

Not a knock on you, just asking.
That's true, but I'm not sure if that's specific to the AT&T version or if all US versions of the phone will come without wireless charging out of the box. I bought the "Quick Circle" case (also highly recommended, though it's $60...) which adds wireless charging capabilities.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's true, but I'm not sure if that's specific to the AT&T version or if all US versions of the phone will come without wireless charging out of the box. I bought the "Quick Circle" case (also highly recommended, though it's $60...) which adds wireless charging capabilities.

Does the quick circle case come with the Qi charger as well? Or do you have to buy that separately?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wireless charging is available on all carrier versions of the G3 but you have to buy additional accessories. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint support Qi wireless charging. AT&T supports PMA wireless charging. Qi seems to be establishing itself as the defacto standard though Starbucks says they'll offer PMA in their shops.

So, theoretically, with the Verizon/TMobile/Sprint version, you can just buy a replacement back (with wireless charge capability) to the phone and be good to go, yes?

Reaction Score
Does the quick circle case come with the Qi charger as well? Or do you have to buy that separately?
It's just a case. Charger would have to be bought separately.

It's not the best situation, but like I said I got $100 off, so I still ended up saving money in the long run. Plus I don't really care about wireless charging, it's not a big factor for me.

Reaction Score
So, theoretically, with the Verizon/TMobile/Sprint version, you can just buy a replacement back (with wireless charge capability) to the phone and be good to go, yes?
There are two parts to the wireless charging system. The replacement back and the charging mat. Obviously, you need both. We seem to be in a VHS/Beta situation with wireless charging standards. Verizon, T-Mobile, & Sprint went all in with Qi. The market has read that movement and responded with all sorts of product options. AT&T and Starbucks went all in with PMA. It seems as though there are less options and nearly all the charging mats are made by one manufactureer, Duracell. Qi seems to be winning the battle right now.

Reaction Score
I've played with the Fire phone and I honestly didn't like it. It's nice that there is some more competition, but I was never a fan of the Amazon products. Different menu and interface, where Android just works a lot better as of now. I haven't touched the G3 yet, but I hear that it is amazing. My favorite phone has to be the Nexus 5 with it not having any bloatware on it, but the Galaxy S5 that I got for free is pretty damn amazing.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
A little info to consider about Amazon, Google and Android phones:

The Android operating system is open-sourced and has quite a few versions and setups out in the wild, but Google's version has all the 'goodies' (Maps, Voice, Play Store, etc.) and the phone companies that want to access all those goodies have to sign an agreement with Google in order to do so.

As Google's main competitor, Amazon obviously does not have this agreement in hand. So even though their Android version is pretty good, their Fire Phone does not have the 'goodies' most people want in an android phone. If using Google Maps or having full access to all the major/popular apps in the Play Store is important to you, then I'd steer clear of the Fire Phone and go with the G2 or the Nexus.

IMHO Amazon needs to partner with or buy an established phone company (BlackBerry? HTC?) to make handsets for them so they can concentrate solely on building alternative services to Google's stuff. The world sorely needs that to happen...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline