OT - 2nd and last rant - parking lots | The Boneyard

OT - 2nd and last rant - parking lots

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When we moved to Tucson, we basically noticed a complete difference to parking lot behavior as compared to New Jersey.

Out here -

You are not expected to be able to pull out of a parking spot. It doesn't matter if you are half-way out of the spot and moving. Another car will think nothing of going past behind you by squeezing to the opposite side of the parking lane even requiring you to jam on your breaks. And anyone walking in a lot will also walk immediately behind your car even if you are actually backing up, expecting you to stop. And this is an observation of a number of folks I have spoken to, not just being paranoid.

Also, FWIW, pedestrians in parking lots will walk in front of cars without looking, consistently. If they looked, they might see they shouldn't "go", so they just don't look and step out into the lot.

I'm contrasting this to NJ, where, as a whole, the person backing out of the spot (once they were going) was generally given the right of way, and where pedestrians definitely looked before stepping out (because, I suspect, in NJ some folks would have just run them over!).

How's Connecticut?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Umm, you spelled brakes wrong. :)
Indeed I did. Although that one, I know how to spell correctly.

My point in another thread wasn't regarding the casual postings on a message board, where I understand if someone makes a typing error. My complaint was non-casual writing containing spelling errors.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
CT is one big parking lot...just take a ride down the highway any morning =D

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

I like to think the world, and by extension, parking lots were given to pedestrians. Cars become visitors and should always show deference to pedestrians. In the northeast, drivers believe that the size of their cars give them the right to go wherever and whenever they wish, Whenever you are backing out, its your duty to give the right of way.

Reaction Score
I like to think the world, and by extension, parking lots were given to pedestrians. Cars become visitors and should always show deference to pedestrians. In the northeast, drivers believe that the size of their cars give them the right to go wherever and whenever they wish, Whenever you are backing out, its your duty to give the right of way.

When you are backing out, your visibility is extremely limited, especially if a pedestrian walking by is on the small side. It is the most basic of common sense to avoid stepping in the path of a moving vehicle when the driver may not be able to see you.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I so wish high speed rail along with better local mass transit would become a reality in this country. I love my car, but it would be great to be able to hop on a train for a day trip.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Indeed I did. Although that one, I know how to spell correctly.

My point in another thread wasn't regarding the casual postings on a message board, where I understand if someone makes a typing error. My complaint was non-casual writing containing spelling errors.

I know... couldn't resist.

Reaction Score
When we moved to Tucson, we basically noticed a complete difference to parking lot behavior as compared to New Jersey.

Out here -

You are not expected to be able to pull out of a parking spot. It doesn't matter if you are half-way out of the spot and moving. Another car will think nothing of going past behind you by squeezing to the opposite side of the parking lane even requiring you to jam on your breaks. And anyone walking in a lot will also walk immediately behind your car even if you are actually backing up, expecting you to stop. And this is an observation of a number of folks I have spoken to, not just being paranoid.

Also, FWIW, pedestrians in parking lots will walk in front of cars without looking, consistently. If they looked, they might see they shouldn't "go", so they just don't look and step out into the lot.

I'm contrasting this to NJ, where, as a whole, the person backing out of the spot (once they were going) was generally given the right of way, and where pedestrians definitely looked before stepping out (because, I suspect, in NJ some folks would have just run them over!).

How's Connecticut?
That ain't the New Jersey I knew and hated. Your description was a perfect fit of how New Jersey drivers seemed to approach parking lot protocol--courtesy. Don't know much about Tucson. OKla, Little Rock, Shrevesport, FW, usually courtesy prevailed but Mass drivers show up everywhere. What I remember most of NJ was the auto insurance going from 900 (in OKLA) to 6000 per year same company same coverage in NJ--- after the State took over Auto insurance.

Reaction Score
Danbury ---Newtown to NY line parking lot. Much like the Long Island "expressway" parking lot. New Haven 95 to 91 parking lot. Except for Los Angeles Rt 5 7 am to 10 am parking parade, DC's Beltway in the rain (worst than snow) skidway parking lot.

Reaction Score
I so wish high speed rail along with better local mass transit would become a reality in this country. I love my car, but it would be great to be able to hop on a train for a day trip.
Except for the Government being there---DC has a very nice mass transit with their metro--good value for your money, convenient, and fast with stops in all the right places. That and Walter Reed and Bethesda and the aero-space are some of the things right with DC. A beautiful red head Blackfoot Native American was the first secretary for the first head of Metro--two redhead daughters too--got their annual fee for being Blackfoot Natives.
What ever happened to the Ella Grasso mono-rail from Bradley to DT Hartford??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom