Ostrout: Boatright, Hamilton Settling In | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ostrout: Boatright, Hamilton Settling In

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Stinger92860, post: 1049473, member: 393] It really sucks to be us. I'll bet the Cuse poster is much better.[/QUOTE]

Well it certainly would be easier to make.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Ray is the greatest basketball player to ever wear a Husky uniform.
In terms of his overall body of work, it's not even close. Due to not winning any rings at UConn I'd put him around 5th or 6th for college careers but his overall career blows everyone else out of the water IMO.

Reaction Score
In terms of his overall body of work, it's not even close. Due to not winning any rings at UConn I'd put him around 5th or 6th for college careers but his overall career blows everyone else out of the water IMO.

I don't know about that, Shabazz was pretty damn good here. Have you seen where Bazz is in the record books? I'm with you that Ray was the best player ever at UConn, but even without the rings, I think Shabazz is right up there with him in terms of best career. Yes, Shabazz stayed an extra year, although I don't think that should be a knock against him, plus his junior year is criminally underrated.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that, Shabazz was pretty damn good here. Have you seen where Bazz is in the record books? I'm with you that Ray was the best player ever at UConn, but even without the rings, I think Shabazz is right up there with him in terms of best career. Yes, Shabazz stayed an extra year, although I don't think that should be a knock against him, plus his junior year is criminally underrated.
John, I think you misread my post. I'm including Ray's HOF caliber NBA career. I think Bazz probably has to be #1 for college careers, followed closely by Kemba.

Reaction Score
John, I think you misread my post. I'm including Ray's HOF caliber NBA career. I think Bazz probably has to be #1 for college careers, followed closely by Kemba.

Ok, I misunderstood. I got confused when you said 5th or 6th for college careers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm one of those who thinks you have to prorate college careers if you are really going to compare. Guys who stay 4 years (and weren't good enough to jump) obviously have gaudier overall stats and appear more regularly in the record books. That just makes sense. Guys who jump early get shortchanged in comparison.

For my money, Emeka had a more impressive college career than Shabazz, two NC's aside. Emeka ranks up there all time among all college centers imo.

Reaction Score
Emeka was a better player than Shabazz, but Shabazz had the better career, IMO. He had two all-American caliber seasons and is the only Husky ever to be one of the five best players on multiple championship teams. If UConn had won in '02, 'Mek would be without question the GOAT.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
Emeka was a better player than Shabazz, but Shabazz had the better career, IMO. He had two all-American caliber seasons and is the only Husky ever to be one of the five best players on multiple championship teams. If UConn had won in '02, 'Mek would be without question the GOAT.

It's pretty hard not to give Shabazz the nod, just like it was hard not to give Kemba the nod up until Bazz cut down the nets against UK. Emeka dominated games but Bazz and Kemba were just incredibly clutch one night after another.

Emeka and Ben were Batman and Robin and they'd switch roles often. Two Top 3 picks in the same lineup is hard to compare with the cast Bazz and Kemba had. Geez, neither Bazz or Kemba were top 3 picks themselves.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Shabazz may have been 'top 5' in 2011, but he was a small role player at best. That team was all Kemba, Lamb and Oriakhi (with a big chunk of Roscoe mixed in).

Emeka's teams had 2 conference regular season and 2 BET championships as well. If he hadn't dealt with a hurt back, those numbers in 2004 likely would have been increased. He (arguably) should have been NPOY. Two time all american (one consensus 1st team). Two time DPOY. BE POY. Two time BE DPOY.

I just can't say Shabazz's career was better, simply due to the fact he stayed an extra year.

Reaction Score
Shabazz may have been 'top 5' in 2011, but he was a small role player at best. That team was all Kemba, Lamb and Oriakhi (with a big chunk of Roscoe mixed in).

Emeka's teams had 2 conference regular season and 2 BET championships as well. If he hadn't dealt with a hurt back, those numbers in 2004 likely would have been increased. He (arguably) should have been NPOY. Two time all american (one consensus 1st team). Two time DPOY. BE POY. Two time BE DPOY.

I just can't say Shabazz's career was better, simply due to the fact he stayed an extra year.

I'm with you. Emeka was the best and most valuable player in the country as a junior, and he was playing against better competition.

Reaction Score

I agree with your assesment that Emeka had the better overall career, but Bazz was more than just a small role player in 2011, and I feel he was a bigger component to UConn's winning than Roscoe was(remember Roscoe missed most of the Pitt game and the Syracuse game in the BET and they still won w/o him). It seemed like it was always a waiting game when Bazz would get in the game and open up things in the offense so that Kemba could be freed up and focus on scoring. I'd associate the small role player label with someone like DBev, not Bazz.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find it weird to have Ray on there at all. There are 4 huge championship trophies, and the 4 guys who were the leaders of each of those teams (plus the 2 coaches). Ray just seems like a 5th wheel.
I get it. He's part of the tradition of excellence, but yeah, I thought the same thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is no way you can make everyone happy, not even with a 4 ncaa poster in the champions center. It really sucks to be us. I'll bet the Cuse poster is much better.

I took a picture of it when I was down there.:

1022S7_CARMELO_25p.jpg

FYI Melo, 4>1.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree with your assesment that Emeka had the better overall career, but Bazz was more than just a small role player in 2011, and I feel he was a bigger component to UConn's winning than Roscoe was(remember Roscoe missed most of the Pitt game and the Syracuse game in the BET and they still won w/o him). It seemed like it was always a waiting game when Bazz would get in the game and open up things in the offense so that Kemba could be freed up and focus on scoring. I'd associate the small role player label with someone like DBev, not Bazz.

Fair enough, that's a large contribution in and of itself. Allowing Kemba to move to the two guard and dominate.

Reaction Score

Don't agree at all that Shabazz was a small role player in '11, the +\- numbers with him on the court were pretty telling. I vividly remember yelling at Calhoun multiple times in the 2011 tournament to get Shabazz in the game sooner (clearly he knew what he was doing).

Also, why should Shabazz be punished for staying an additional year? I can see thinking Emeka had a better career, but that reasoning seems flawed.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I've watched some old games from Emeka's freshman year recently and I forgot how good he was by the latter part of that season. He was the second best player on that team (after Caron), even as a freshman. What an amazing find! I doubt we will ever have another center as great as Emeka (but never say never).

Reaction Score
I've watched some old games from Emeka's freshman year recently and I forgot how good he was by the latter part of that season. He was the second best player on that team (after Caron), even as a freshman. What an amazing find! I doubt we will ever have another center as great as Emeka (but never say never).
Probably not but AB could be pretty special if he stays another 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro