Oregon? Nike, Altman........ | The Boneyard

Oregon? Nike, Altman........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-ducks-transfer-joseph-young-play-immediately

You really have to question the fact that suddenly (kind of like Baylor) a football school starts getting players who wouldn't normally care to be in Oregon. Yeah I get the Nike brand selling point and the fact it has some huge pull but how is this kid elgible and how are they not even looked at with the rumblings of the Kasango type situations? I get that Altman was an up and comer but please...........

Cha Ching $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.........the NCAA looks at what it wants to!

Reaction Score
Ehhh, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Oregon is coming off a sweet 16 and has a gorgeous campus, plus like you said it has the whole Nike thing going on. A kid wanting to transfer from Houston to Oregon is a no-brainer

Reaction Score
Ehhh, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Oregon is coming off a sweet 16 and has a gorgeous campus, plus like you said it has the whole Nike thing going on. A kid wanting to transfer from Houston to Oregon is a no-brainer

NOW it is........wasn't just a while ago........the PAC10 sucked and the Ducks weren't too good until the Luke's came aboard a few years back. Now they're competing with the big guys for recruits? That would be the reason they're coming off a Sweet 16 but hey, good for them. But if you think Mr Young would have been okayed to play in Storrs if he transferred guess again........tough enough to get an answer on a real good kid/student to play this year!

Reaction Score
Ernie Kent had elite talent when he was there so its not exactly something new, remember they made the Elite 8 one year with him. With all that money and the facilities they have its shouldn't be too hard for a coach to attract talent there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
IMO this is not about Young or Oregon but the beginning of a torrent of kids getting waivers to transfer. This was no hardship transfer by any stretch of the imagination!

Reaction Score
Ernie Kent had elite talent when he was there so its not exactly something new, remember they made the Elite 8 one year with him. With all that money and the facilities they have its shouldn't be too hard for a coach to attract talent there.

Kent started it no doubt but he couldn't coach it...........just talking pure financial power here. They won't be able to do much wrong there I promise..........

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kent started it no doubt but he couldn't coach it...........just talking pure financial power here. They won't be able to do much wrong there I promise..........
We're all alluding to it but few are ready to acknowledge that the entire product of college sports has reached the ugly stage of monetary corruption. All the entities: universities, boosters and fans, networks, press, coaches, aau, players, government entities, and corporations now have the common monetary interest regarding the production of college sports and therefore there is no voice strong enough left to counter the process.

It's ugly. It's why freescooter's posts are so irritating because he so focused on the zit in UConn's history while missing the fatal wounds that exist in college athletics.

Viewership is the engine that drives this corruption. It isn't that the viewer is necessarily corrupt. It is just that without the viewership, there would be no corporate or network interest and sports would return to the less corrupt amateur status in which players might still try to "cheat" to beat an opponent, and which gamblers and boosters would still try to interfere with a particular sport for self serving reasons, but all pretense of some sanctified process at the collegiate level would be minimized.

The NCAA is not the problem. It is only a mirror of the problem that exists in a wide range of things, including but not limited to us, the fans.

I've reconciled my distaste for this process. It hasn't been easy. I plan on enjoying the Huskies for as long as they are relevant. But I'm not going to pretend that the problem is just the NCAA, or Nike or ESPN.

Reaction Score
NCAA sports are a part of the entertainment industry now just like all other revenue generating forms of entertainment. There will have to be major upheaval for that to change. Fans will keep trying to deny it for a long time, but the trend will continue and it will become more and more like pro sports. It is mostly about money and not about pure competition. It is against the nature of a diehard fan to think this way, but it is true. Even in pro sports its the same thing. I read comments about the NFL putting a team in London and people are seriously complaining about how travel may slightly affect outcomes of games. Obviously it will. Obviously the NFL is an entertainment industry just like music, movies, theme parks etc. It is all about the money. Will college get to the point of pro sports? Probably not that far because I don't think it will stand for players making huge amounts of money and the players do represent an actual academic institution instead of a random geographic area/ city. However, money will still drive everything. There is no point of complaining about it because you won't change the system.

Reaction Score
No complaints here just trying to find stuff to talk about prior to diving head first into November 8th ;)

Reaction Score
No complaints here just trying to find stuff to talk about prior to diving head first into November 8th ;)

not directed at you at all. Just a very general statement about fans complaining about integrity of the game and things like that. Rules will be changed to increase revenue, increase offensive output, increase a level playing field or a combination of things. Whatever ends up increasing profits the most. In pro sports it appears evening the playing field increases profits the most (see NFL) and in NCAA football it appears creating a dominant core of teams yields the best overall results due to the current BCS system. Having a couple dominant teams like Alabama is not good because if they start the year #1 and don't lose, than no one really has a chance. If you have 120 teams, or even 40 teams, with a shot at the title, than the system will fail every year because there will be too many deserving teams. A core of 10-15 schools that have a good shot every year is ideal. Hopefully corruption doesn't get too much worse than it already is.

Reaction Score
precedent was set by the kid from Pitt last year(Ziegler?). Young's dad got the axe; Young left UH.

Reaction Score
I want to say up front that I admire Altman's coaching very much. He is a basketball guy who we should all appreciate - he is also humble, if fiery. Altman may end up bending some rules because he sure has an awful powerful booster enterprise going on - but I think he fundamentally hates that crap.
Kent was a complete loser as a coach and maybe even as a person. The "Lukes" were local guys and getting them was always going to be somewhat easy - it may also have been when Uncle Phil was just begnning to express his own moves as an "acquirer of acquirers". This Pat Forde article is revealing in spades:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2811417&sportCat=ncb

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
You would think over the years WWW would be involved with UConn favorably due to The Family/Richard Hamilton connection. Odd it hasn't. Wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom