One Last Look Back to Duke Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One Last Look Back to Duke Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BigPetunia, why get down on UConn because its coaches do their job better that others ?.......They should be applauded. Don't wish good recruits go elsewhere because UConn is doing well. Why not come down on the other coaches and teams for not doing their job of recruiting and a better job of coaching ? Its like telling the one 'A' student in the class to dumb-down and be a 'C' student because all the rest of his classmates are average. The other teams have to raise their games. Not have UConn lower theirs.
I think that UConn does get some of the better recruits but in the past 10 years, I seem to remember reading (based on the recruiting services) that Duke has had the best recruiting class in the country a couple of times (at least) and numerous top 5 classes in other seasons. Unless these people are totally brain dead and totally incompetent, I think what I'd read into that is that Duke doesn't get out of their high level recruits what UConn does out of it's. I've said leading up to this game that I think the only team I've seen with anywhere near the poise and discipline of the Huskies has been the Notre Dame teams of the past four or five years. Stanford might have had a small run as well but that's about it. It seems like it's more about coaching than anything else and the drive to pursue perfection and get the kids to believe that continues to make UConn the team to be measured against. Tara and Muffett prepare their teams quite well and recruit well and are thereby pretty competitive a good portion of the time. I agree UConn shouldn't be punished for being the best that they can be.

Reactions: HGN

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
this is sad... beat the so-called #2 team in country handily and a few still isnt satisfied. smh

Im thinking about logging off til after the championship, cant stomach this nonsense
Don't be so hard on Geno and staff. :D

Reaction Score
R
Well, for 8 games Banks, Stokes and Chong all new the rotation and when they would play and how long they would play. Now you have two players back that will get mane of the minutes those three played and got used to.

It will take time to get into a sub pattern. An adjustment not only for the players but for the coaching staff. I believe Chris said they should have played Chong in the first half.

Right you are, doggydaddy. Saniya should have entered the game sooner. We're not going to have many close games the rest of the way, except for Louisville, and I'm not sure how close those games will be. Starting with Cal, Saniya needs to get major minutes. We only have four guards, and with Bria in foul trouble against Duke, we were down to three. Kiah needs minutes too, so that if foul trouble is a problem in the tournament, she will be ready to go against ND and or UT, both of whom we could play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Saniya, Brianna, Bria, Moriah, plus Kaleena can play the 2 as necessary as could Breanna in a pinch.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
R

Right you are, doggydaddy. Saniya should have entered the game sooner. We're not going to have many close games the rest of the way, except for Louisville, and I'm not sure how close those games will be. Starting with Cal, Saniya needs to get major minutes. We only have four guards, and with Bria in foul trouble against Duke, we were down to three. Kiah needs minutes too, so that if foul trouble is a problem in the tournament, she will be ready to go against ND and or UT, both of whom we could play.
I didn't say that about Chong. Chris did.

Chong will get her 15+ minutes per game for most of the games. Not sure what you are worried about.

Do you think that Geno won't use the next 20+ games to get them ready for ND or Tennessee?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't say that about Chong. Chris did.

Chong will get her 15+ minutes per game for most of the games. Not sure what you are worried about.

Do you think that Geno won't use the next 20+ games to get them ready for ND or Tennessee?
Knowing he has plenty of time coming up was no doubt part of his decisions.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
[quote="doggydaddy, post: 793421, member: 283"

Do you think that Geno won't use the next 20+ games to get them ready for ND or Tennessee?[/quote]

I hope it's ND and Tennessee

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think that UConn does get some of the better recruits but in the past 10 years, I seem to remember reading (based on the recruiting services) that Duke has had the best recruiting class in the country a couple of times (at least) and numerous top 5 classes in other seasons. Unless these people are totally brain dead and totally incompetent, I think what I'd read into that is that Duke doesn't get out of their high level recruits what UConn does out of it's.

I am not as well versed on AAs coming out of HS, but in reading about Duke's class, the "stellar" class that is now at UNC, makes me wonder about ratings and skills. You can be the highest scorer, most athletic, best rebounder, etc, but if you don't know how to play hoop, or cannot learn, I don't think Geno wants you. His recent comment about needing to know how to pass, and prior comments about choosing basketball players vs athletes, makes me think that recruiting has a different perspective at UConn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
this is sad... beat the so-called #2 team in country handily and a few still isnt satisfied. smh

Im thinking about logging off til after the championship, cant stomach this nonsense

Daddy

The most strenuous criticisms of the teams play came from the staff, not our friends here.

CD was mercilous in her critique of Bria: went far beyond what any of us would have dreamed of saying and I actually thought was a bit over the top.

And Marissa on Morgan: She's got a sharp wit that one.

And Geno"s little jabs at Stewie.

For sure, the staff is going to be working at ironing out any imperfections; surely it's fair game for us to discuss them as well.

But, I was sure pleased…especially in the first-half run, that we played them into a standstill; utter confusion and despair.

Reaction Score
Wow! I have come to recognize that this is not a basketball forum, but a "we love our girls" board. But can one not simply make the observation that a lack of a reasonable level of parity among the top programs bodes poorly for national interest in the game without such a comment being ridiculously misconstrued as anti-UConn?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wow! I have come to recognize that this is not a basketball forum, but a "we love our girls" board. But can one not simply make the observation that a lack of a reasonable level of parity among the top programs bodes poorly for national interest in the game without such a comment being ridiculously misconstrued as anti-UConn?
Actually, it's a Uconn women's basketball forum first. A basketball forum 2nd.

One poster might have misconstrued you as anti-Uconn. Are you really labeling the board based on that?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yep, we do love our women. But what about that parity thing do you want the BYers to cry about? As always, other teams have to come to the same level and mount a challenge as ND, Stanford, Baylor, and Louisville have tried to do with more or less success over the last five years. What in freak do you want UConn to do, say we're just too good and that we should take the pedal off the gas and play lethargic and let everybody get closer to us? Hell, I'm mad enough about those last 23 seconds of the Duke game, which shouldn't really happen when #1 is playing #2.

One thing you have to understand with Geno, the expectations and desire for being as good as you can be do not let up even when a top-level opponent has packed it in. He always has his teams competing against that indomitable opponent like the ND and Stanford teams of the last few years whether they show up for a game or not. That is why the number is 8, going on 9.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My feelings mirror yours exactly. As ardent a UConn fan as I am, I must confess a bit of disappointment over the way things played out. Sure, I wanted a win, but if there's that much separation between number one and number two, I don't care what the reasons are...it's just not good for WCBB. We fans of our team know and love this sport for good reason...we're watching the game the way it was meant to be played. But, nevertheless, the national popularity of the sport is in big trouble, with most games, even by Top 25 teams, being played before half-empty arenas. This is not good for us! Yes, Geno is a better coach than others, and a better recruiter, but the sport desperately needs a higher level of parity. I suspect, and have all year, that Duke was not really the Number Two team, but that ND is, and maybe we'll face them in March, but putting a beating on so-called top-tier teams in their own arenas like we did Tuesday is a bit on the boring side. I've been rooting for A'ja Wilson to commit here....now, maybe, not so much. Go to South Carolina and get those fans as interested as we are!

I want A'ja at UConn...badly and I suspect your wish that she go to SC and grow a fan base there is tongue in cheek. If not, I offer you a cautionary tale. Having spent some time on the Duke board I have learned there that Duke plays most home games to an all but empty arena. To me that is shocking/disheartening. True, no national championships but an elite team for a long time and lots of talented players ... and an empty gym? I would hope Cam would chime in and say that info from the Duke board is wrong, but it was echoed by a number of posters. It does point out that we here at UConn and just a few others have something special...and it is something special to offer to recruits too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom