One bad year or the effects of conference mess? | The Boneyard

One bad year or the effects of conference mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The elephant in the room is that, with all due respect to field hockey and women's basketball, UConn had arguably it's worst year in the 2 big boy sports in more than a decade in 2014-2015. I would have to go back to the 2000-2001 school year when both the football team and the men's basketball team had such poor seasons the same year.

Is this year an anomaly? The football team is dealing with a coaching change and the men's basketball team did graduate a lot. But why do I feel this dramatic drop off in level of play by both teams could be also due to the years of conference uncertainty? The fact we are not a Power 5? It certainly effects the type of talent/athlete we can recruit. And if the AAC is a step down in prestige it doesn't appear to be in competition because we are struggling to compete and be in the top half of the standings.

After sitting through 4 days of the AAC Tournament in Hartford I left pretty startled. The teams and games I saw left me feeling like we we're in a mid major conference and UConn fit in alarmingly well into it. Watching the NCAA Tournament, besides Gonzaga and Wichita I'm not sure any of the non power 5 schools compare to the top Power 5. The difference in athlete is striking. Louisville bullied Northern Iowa around the other night like I haven't seen done in a while. Our conference champ, who had a 25 pt lead on us this year, couldn't make it past UCLA.

We've suffered through some pretty underwhelming football seasons since going 1-A but nothing like the last one. Losses to some terrible teams like SMU and Army. An all out white flag of surrender so our QB wouldn't get killed at USF. It was quite the experience.

Will things be different next year for our cash cows? Are you alarmed by what you saw this year? Chalk it up to just a bad year for both teams or the warning signs of the decade long struggle we have been swimming upstream against and the reason this board we are posting on was created for in the first place? If that's the case, can anything be done to at the very least perform better in the AAC and so we don't have another repeat of this lost year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is neither, FB & MBB problems are quite easily explained by the fact that UConn lost an above average FB coach and then replaced him with a bottom of the barrel hire. A couple of years later lost a HOF MBB coach and replaced him with someone who to date has only shown that he can win a NC on the back of a hot team that under performed for most of the year. Will BD and KO turn out to be above average or brilliant coaches? No one knows. All we know is that as long as we are in the AAC they need to be closer to the brilliant level.

Reaction Score
Conference stability doesn't mean the sports don't wax and wane. Just ask Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sports are cyclical. We're cycling out of the Pasqualoni hire now. I hope.

Reaction Score
Paul P. was the worst possible choice to lead the program, simple as that. It will take years to undo the damage that was done which has been compounded by becoming the pariah of conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Good post. There is every reason to be worried as long as we are in the AAC. The disadvantages are going to increase the longer the stay in the gulag, there is no question. I think the football conference is actually not bad, but it's not P5 and we will struggle enough to compete, nevermind win it. Basketball is where the great danger lies because let's face it, this conference is a bore.

Reaction Score
Conference stability doesn't mean the sports don't wax and wane. Just ask Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois...

Don't forget to add Florida to this list. In one year, Florida went from the Final Four to missing everything, along with canning their football coach.

This is all cyclical, but you would think we'd have some leeway after hanging banner #4 last year, but this is the life of living in CR purgatory

Reaction Score
Don't forget to add Florida to this list. In one year, Florida went from the Final Four to missing everything, along with canning their football coach.

This is all cyclical, but you would think we'd have some leeway after hanging banner #4 last year, but this is the life of living in CR purgatory

You do have some leeway--I'm not sure how much you get in basketball exactly. Someone at UCLA might know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom