On Campus Stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On Campus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have Penn State and ND football fans who moonlight as UConn BB fans, so yeah, I honestly thought you had it backwards cheering for Nebraska BB and UConn FB.

Closet UCONN Fan here. While I bleed PSU Blue and White for all sports including basketball, difficult as that can be at times, I greatly enjoy watching UCONN stick a thumb in the eye of the so called Basketball Blue Bloods like UK and Duke.

I hope you guys finally have the right coach to get you going in the right direction in football, just as I'm encouraged by what Chambers is doing for our hoops program. Good luck and beat Boise today.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
At one time, maybe a couple years ago there was a pretty sizable chunk of land(100+ acres) for sale right next to the Fed Ex terminal off of I-84(exit 71). It looked to be about 8 miles from the center of campus and I don't know any of the details of whatever happened to it(probably developed into houses) but it would have made the perfect location for a stadium though some major landscaping would have had to be completed as on Google maps it looked to be on a slope. Right off the highway, close to the university and far away from any major interstate interchanges. Not sure about the water situation for that piece but it had been on the market for forever. If it was up to me that's where I'd plop a multi-use facility for the University of Connecticut. Within bicycle distance from campus, shuttle bus service could be affordable and keeps the heavy game day traffic off Rte 195 and Mansfield Center.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Weyo, there are three chunks of land on campus that work. Horsebarn Hill, out behind Towers, and over by the existing soccer fields. I like any of these better because they actually are on campus and already owned by the state. Still, your idea seems like the perfect compromise between the on campus crowd and the easy of access crowd you just need to move it an hour closer to Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
Weyo, there are three chunks of land on campus that work. Horsebarn Hill, out behind Towers, and over by the existing soccer fields. I like any of these better because they actually are on campus and already owned by the state. Still, your idea seems like the perfect compromise between the on campus crowd and the easy of access crowd you just need to move it an hour closer to Fairfield County.
That's the whole trick to this getting a capacity crowd thing ... somehow getting Fairfield County engaged in UConn football. Storrs in the eastern section of the state, FFC is opposite. If only the two could meet.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If (and this is an enormous if) sufficient highway infrastructure were built it would not be that difficult a trek for seven games a year. The thing is that the infrastructure isn't realistic as too many are willing to go to whatever lengths necessary to destroy it. A major highway from Hartford to Providence (which would do the trick) was alluded to early in this thread. I first heard of this possibility the summer before my junior year in college. That was 1980 and we are still no closer to that happening.

On the engaging Fairfield County, it appears that steps (baby steps albeit) are being taken. It is nearly a decade and a half late but it is something.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If (and this is an enormous if) sufficient highway infrastructure were built it would not be that difficult a trek for seven games a year. The thing is that the infrastructure isn't realistic as too many are willing to go to whatever lengths necessary to destroy it. A major highway from Hartford to Providence (which would do the trick) was alluded to early in this thread. I first heard of this possibility the summer before my junior year in college. That was 1980 and we are still no closer to that happening.

On the engaging Fairfield County, it appears that steps (baby steps albeit) are being taken. It is nearly a decade and a half late but it is something.

The interstate hwy. between Hartford and Providence was on the drawing board even longer ago than that. It got killed by the tree huggers, as if all of eastern Conn. is some kind of pristine natural wilderness area. We must be protecting domesticated backyard dogs and cats since the entire area is full of single family dwellings.

That little piece of US 6 limited access hwy. that bypasses Willimantic is the only part of it that ever got built.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
This is something that Diaco and Warde wake up everyday and shake their head to. It will forever limit our recruiting and student retention for game attendance.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
The interstate hwy. between Hartford and Providence was on the drawing board even longer ago than that. It got killed by the tree huggers, as if all of eastern Conn. is some kind of pristine natural wilderness area. We must be protecting domesticated backyard dogs and cats since the entire area is full of single family dwellings.

That little piece of US 6 limited access hwy. that bypasses Willimantic is the only part of it that ever got built.
Nick, I'm pretty sure you are wrong. IIRC Connecticut wanted the road built, but RI killed it, not wanting to build it to Providence. In fact CT threatened to build it and flood the secondary RI roads with traffic.

Reaction Score
Nick, I'm pretty sure you are wrong. IIRC Connecticut wanted the road built, but RI killed it, not wanting to build it to Providence. In fact CT threatened to build it and flood the secondary RI roads with traffic.
Both sides killed it. Rt 8 from Bridgeport to Winsted, if continued to the Mass Pike, was another "what if?" The (missing) loop around Hartford was the biggest mistake and that goes back to the '50s. The Rt 11 extension to I-95. I'm losing track there are so many blunders.

Reaction Score
At one time, maybe a couple years ago there was a pretty sizable chunk of land(100+ acres) for sale right next to the Fed Ex terminal off of I-84(exit 71). It looked to be about 8 miles from the center of campus and I don't know any of the details of whatever happened to it(probably developed into houses) but it would have made the perfect location for a stadium though some major landscaping would have had to be completed as on Google maps it looked to be on a slope. Right off the highway, close to the university and far away from any major interstate interchanges. Not sure about the water situation for that piece but it had been on the market for forever. If it was up to me that's where I'd plop a multi-use facility for the University of Connecticut. Within bicycle distance from campus, shuttle bus service could be affordable and keeps the heavy game day traffic off Rte 195 and Mansfield Center.
a SERIOUS workout for bicyclers with those loooooong steeeeep hills on rte 195

Reaction Score
That's the whole trick to this getting a capacity crowd thing ... somehow getting Fairfield County engaged in UConn football. Storrs in the eastern section of the state, FFC is opposite. If only the two could meet.
That's just too easy... u know how we do in CT...

Reaction Score
Both sides killed it. Rt 8 from Bridgeport to Winsted, if continued to the Mass Pike, was another "what if?" The (missing) loop around Hartford was the biggest mistake and that goes back to the '50s. The Rt 11 extension to I-95. I'm losing track there are so many blunders.

On the positive side, Rt 11 south of Colchester has provided some great late night racing over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom